Signs that it might be time to call it a season

• Philip Meaney
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Oct 2008 17:57 #243444 by Philip Meaney
OK, I like to think of myself as a bit of a die-hard. Last Monday, I decided to make a point of it and take the bike to work.

When I checked out the window in the morning, the thermometer read -5 degrees celsius. Roads were clear and dry and the trip to work is only about 6 km, so I decided to take the 750 Turbo.

First thing, the bike was covered in frost and of course I had to scrape the frost off the seat before I could ride. Got it started and well warmed up and headed out. Of course , the gas gauge was showing almost empty, so I stopped a the pumps.

Hard to imagine, but the lock on the gas cap was FROZEN. Not only didn't it open, but i bent the key when I tried it. OK, I'm low on gas, but I can make it to work and back, no big deal. Wait a minute, my key is bent and it doesn't work in the ignition any more. Now that's a PITA (maybe time to get a spare key cut).

Fortunately, a buddy came by right around that time and offered me a lift to his house where we could straighten out my key in his vise. Eventually made it to work, half an hour late - low fuel light started flashing just as I arrived home at the end of the day.

I've got three of the bikes bedded down for the season - maybe it's about time to park the last one. Of course, they're calling for a mild week next week........

80 750 H1
85 750 Turbo
84 GPz 750

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2008 18:04 #243445 by 77_650B1
well it snowed here today, so putting the 650 away last weekend was a good idea i think

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

More
23 Oct 2008 20:15 #243461 by JR
I'm hoping to tough it out another couple of weeks but all the signs of an early winter are there...........

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
24 Oct 2008 05:57 #243502 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Signs that it might be time to call it a season
SNOW???? :blink:

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
24 Oct 2008 06:08 #243505 by ltdrider
It must have been 95 in LA yesterday. But the forecast is for a cooler weekend, down in the 80s. We had a really hot summer, but I live for these fall days...cool mornings and evenings, and warm, sunny days.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
24 Oct 2008 06:29 #243507 by ronjones
A problem w/living below the Mason-Dixon line w/in 200mi the mid-Atlantic coast, is just not knowing what kind of winter we will have. I've seen it snow a foot in early November and 2 weeks later it's 80*, sunbathing on New Years day on a cabin rooftop in the mountains, frozen Chesapeake Bay a month later. A couple of yrs ago I stopped my restore in Nov, and Dec & Jan were sunny and in the 70's and 80's then crappy 50's and rain for Feb and Mar. So I don't really bed down my bike for a winters nap because I just don't know if I'll be riding or not.
Not as good continuous riding as the Fla/Cali/desert people but not as bad as you guys that get snowed in in October and don't see the pavement again until May.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
24 Oct 2008 21:03 #243648 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Signs that it might be time to call it a season
in alberta we get these lovely thing's called chinooks. a chinook is very warm air mass that comes in off the pacific ocean and crosses over the rocky mountains at the stranges times one day it will be -30 "f. that night it will start to warm up by morning it will be 65'f and it might be like that for one day or 2 weeks so if there is not a lot of snow on the roads,its riding time so it can break the winter up, a true diehard keeps their insurance and plates up to date around here for that reason.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
24 Oct 2008 21:18 #243653 by H2RICK
Yep, chinooks are wonderful things but.....the gravel on the roads from that first snowfall onwards is NOT a wonderful thing !!! :ohmy:
I've already put the big Bandito away for the winter but I still have the 550 Suzi and my 650C2 roadworthy. I think we MAY/MAY get lucky this year and not have snow until Christmas eve. Here's hoping.
Of course, there's been many ends-of-season when I've been caught winterizing my bikes AFTER the first snowfall. Who can predict these things ???:laugh: :laugh:

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

More
24 Oct 2008 21:20 #243654 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Signs that it might be time to call it a season
Bluemeanie wrote:

SNOW???? :blink:

bite me john! :laugh:

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
24 Oct 2008 22:26 #243669 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic Signs that it might be time to call it a season
I was thinking it was cold enough I might need to buy a warm jacket to ride in, we are down in the 50's at night here. Of course, by the time I get mine done I may only need my mesh jacket B). The desert does have its advantages, namely 360 days a year of clear roads, and 5 days of sand and/or rain.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
25 Oct 2008 18:12 #243808 by RonKZ650
I ride all winter even if it's 5 below zero F as long as no snow and ice are on the road. Of course you can get caught at work in a "surprise". I don't watch TV or listen to the radio or read anything about forecasts. My forecasts are walking outside and looking up in the air, so if it's dry I ride. I've been caught by surprise a few times late in the day at work. Oh well, riding in snow is not all that bad, it's the morons that tailgate that ruin it. If it gets too bad, I'll just park the KZ650 on the side of the road and walk the rest of the way. Sand doesn't bother me, it's that stupid calcium chloride whatever it's called, they use here in Colorado now that's the worst. The roads always look wet and slippery all winter because they spray that crap, and it is real slippery.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
25 Oct 2008 18:39 #243811 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Signs that it might be time to call it a season
I almost feel bad for you guys back east and in Canook land but since my project is completed yet and I don;t get to ride either..... :P

AZ is perfect right now for riding... Maybe get the Schwin out... At least it has handle bars...weeeeeeeeeeee!

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az