• Live free, or die.
More
23 Oct 2008 06:08 #243357 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic Study: Antilocks trim fatal motorcycle crashes
Ditto!!

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
23 Oct 2008 07:18 #243364 by H2RICK
pstrbrc, would you come over to my place and clean my coffee-drenched keyboard ??? You're responsible for the mess because your Pelosi post made coffee come out my nose.:laugh: :laugh:
Great stuff....and typical "Cadillac liberal" thinking.

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

More
23 Oct 2008 10:19 - 23 Oct 2008 10:20 #243383 by PLUMMEN
Bluemeanie wrote:

I've been a mechanic for over 30 years and know for a fact that a non ABS vehicl will stop quicker than an ABS equipped vehicle! Problem is that you may be facing the "other" way after you stop. People think ABS stops faster, all ABS does is allow you to be in control (steering, etc) while panic stopping. The micro seconds that the brakes are released while ABS is operating causes slightly longer stopping distances. I'll stick with a non-ABS bike thank you! ;)

i rely on common sense to allow me to be in control!last accident i had was in a ford van with abs on some ice.by the time i got it stopped i was directly in the path of a city plow truck with a 12' wide plow heading for the drivers side of the ford windstar i was driving ,i took my chances and hit the gas to get out his way and headed for trees across the road!:S he still clipped the side of the van but at least he didnt ut his plow through the drivers door where it was origionally headed!:S SCREW ANTI LOCK BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Last edit: 23 Oct 2008 10:20 by PLUMMEN.

More
23 Oct 2008 17:09 #243430 by steell
macattak wrote:

While you might question the methodology of the study, why would you think non-ABS bikes are safer?

If you're referring to me, I didn't say anything about the effectiveness of ABS, I merely stated that the study was faulty as it was based on faulty assumptions.

My point was that the current bikes that offer ABS are not normally Sport Bikes, and the people that buy the current bikes that offer ABS are the sort of people that ride sensibly (Explains why I don't buy bikes with ABS), and not the sort of people that crash a lot.

Considering the group that did the study, I guess that's all we can expect :(

And no irony was missed here :)

KD9JUR