Got a chance to attend MMI, im going to take it.

More
30 Sep 2011 00:34 #480537 by jonnybravo
Replied by jonnybravo on topic Got a chance to attend MMI, im going to take it.
well one thing i can tell u is they dont teach old bikes at all, this i know, a good friend went down there with the intentions of starting his own shop which he did, he's now driving a truck to pay off his debt, this guy was a helluva mechanic BEFORE he went there, his first offer was $10 an hour, when he graduated, cost him $22,000 dollars, there is a community college program in NC that will give u the same training ( many say better) for $2500 Central Carolina Community College, talk to Wayne, they have a waiting list, there is also a killer machine shop program there as well, IF ONLY I WERENT MARRIED, there are also a few other community college programs out there, but very few, do a few google searches on the subject

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2011 00:37 #480538 by jonnybravo
Replied by jonnybravo on topic Got a chance to attend MMI, im going to take it.
and when I say old bikes I mean ANYTHING before mid 90's, in the Harley Class they dont teach
Evo's anymore,

More
30 Sep 2011 01:13 #480548 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic Got a chance to attend MMI, im going to take it.
I've read a few reviews that talk about them only teaching on new bikes. I can't imagine going to a motorcycle mechanic school, and working on only all new bikes... I mean, when are you ever going to do that in the real world? Unless you become an instructor there I guess!
And I also came across CCCC in North Carolina. This whole "piece of paper" thing is killing me! I'd love to get in with a shop and actually LEARN something, but they all want a piece of charmin before they'll even talk to you.
The main reason I was looking at MMI was because they can help to find you a place to work while you're going to school, in theory anyway. I'm living in Northern Virginia at the moment, and they don't have a course anywhere near, that I've found. So I'd have to find a job, and find a place to live, before I could even get a place in NC. But going the community college route, the loans to go to school would be a lot less...

As for the Harley course, they actually stuck on an elective class. You can "learn" to work on old school Harleys, '36-'99. This I made sure about.

One thing that they did tell me, was that by going into a specific model, like Kawasaki, they teach on all their products, ATV's, water crafts, and so on.

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
30 Sep 2011 12:24 #480601 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Got a chance to attend MMI, im going to take it.
If you want both a job and to be a bike mechanic, I'd go to every bike shop and ask the Workshop Manager. Tell him you really want to wrench on bikes, that you have some skill's and tools, and want to learn. They like this. People with the Ball's to go out there and meet face to face, when there is no add for Help Wanted. They like that, and will think of you when someone stubs their toe or doesn't show one day, or whatever. It might take several visits, or just one. You never Know. You would learn a lot from a more mature wrench, not just the theory but hands on. Schools are good, and if you get in the door somewhere to work, they will have Factory Training most likely. All Dealerships do.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chaotic Reason

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
30 Sep 2011 12:40 #480602 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Got a chance to attend MMI, im going to take it.

Motor Head wrote: If you want both a job and to be a bike mechanic, I'd go to every bike shop and ask the Workshop Manager. Tell him you really want to wrench on bikes, that you have some skill's and tools, and want to learn. They like this. People with the Ball's to go out there and meet face to face, when there is no add for Help Wanted. They like that, and will think of you when someone stubs their toe or doesn't show one day, or whatever. It might take several visits, or just one. You never Know. You would learn a lot from a more mature wrench, not just the theory but hands on. Schools are good, and if you get in the door somewhere to work, they will have Factory Training most likely. All Dealerships do.

This is very good advice. I got my current machine shop job this way. No want ad or anything. I found the shop by google searching for machine shops in the part of town where I wanted to live. I went in and spoke with the owner personally and handed him my resume. Granted I was already an experienced machinist, so it's a little bit different, but the general principal is the same. Most shops are going to be run by guys who appreciate some cojones. Needless to say, I sewed up that job interview that day. No follow up interviews or any of that bs. He didn't hire me because he needed someone so badly at that moment. He hired me because I convinced him that I was a good enough machinist that he wanted me when he needed to expand. Sooner or later if you ask for what you want, someone will give it to you.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chaotic Reason

More
30 Sep 2011 16:58 #480639 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic Got a chance to attend MMI, im going to take it.
@Motor head and Testarossa
Gentlemen, I like your style! That's an awesome idea. I'd much rather get in with a shop and actually work on bikes that are ridden, than ones just put together.
Sounds like the best course of action. Thank you so much for the direction.

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
30 Sep 2011 17:19 #480644 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Got a chance to attend MMI, im going to take it.
Over the years I have found very few jobs by the more normal means of adds or Job Services. Go in and present yourself as a good person, hard worker, willing to do what it takes, etc. They will remember that when they need someone. Hell way back, I went to a shop just for parts. My girl friend was out in the car. When I came out I said to her, well I start in the morning. She looked at me and said what? :ohmy:

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...