Covers and parking permits

• Virii
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I like cheese
More
18 Aug 2008 16:18 #232748 by Virii
Covers and parking permits was created by Virii
Are there any decent rain and snow capable motorcycle covers that account for the use of a parking permit or would stand up well to my cutting a hole and sewing a vinyl window into?

I've moved to the center of Cambridge and pretty much all parking here is permit only.

Does anybody else here deal with permit street parking? I've had the 650 knocked over numerous times until I determined how to park to largely prevent it but I've still got weather to deal with and the fact that the roads here are salted.

Neighbors have started commenting on how often I seem to be sitting on the sidewalk cleaning my engine. :blush:

Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2008 17:23 - 18 Aug 2008 17:24 #232757 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Covers and parking permits

www.cycleshell.com/

Expensive but neat unless someone steals it. I'd paint Police Stakeout on it! Throw some coffee cups and donut cartons around! ;)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"
Last edit: 18 Aug 2008 17:24 by Locozuna.

More
19 Aug 2008 01:21 #232844 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic Covers and parking permits
id offer you space in my shed if i had space. i for sure wouldnt leave the bike out on a cambridge street all winter either. i lived there once upon a time. if you are going to store it outside all winter i suggest you hose it completely with wd40 and wrap it good. beside the house makes better sense then the street. or try to find a garage with a little space to rent. the salt here eats metal things alive ...steve

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

• Scrapper
  • User
  • I Survived P.D. Fri .the 13th 2008 .
More
19 Aug 2008 08:12 #232876 by Scrapper
Replied by Scrapper on topic Covers and parking permits
Hey Virii < Don't they have U rent it storage up there any more ? Check out the yellow pages Bud!

Handle every situation like a dog,
If you can't eat it or hump it,
Piss on it and walk away!

• Virii
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I like cheese
More
19 Aug 2008 10:54 #232905 by Virii
Replied by Virii on topic Covers and parking permits
That was my first thought and there are some self storage places in the area but unless I want to store it in New Hampshire, I'm looking at around $150 a month (and for many of them I suspect I've have to sneak the bike in)

During the ridable months, it's my primary means of transportation but I'd still like to have it covered (around here). During winter...well, last year demonstrated just how much we were unprepared for the salted roads. Cleaning up the mess it made took me days of sandpaper, steel wool and mothers polish.

That cycleshell would do the trick, the only problem is that the parking enforcement here wander around with handheld wireless computers to validate permits and they want to see the permit and plate of every vehicle.

Sounds like I'm going to have to try my hand at installing a little poly window in a cover. Hopefully I won't destroy the cover in the process!

Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

More
20 Aug 2008 11:12 #233117 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic Covers and parking permits
Take your cover to a place that makes boat covers. I am sure they can fix you right up....chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

• Virii
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I like cheese
More
28 Aug 2008 16:24 #234505 by Virii
Replied by Virii on topic Covers and parking permits
coppertales wrote:

Take your cover to a place that makes boat covers. I am sure they can fix you right up....chris3

Good call, $20 bucks at a local hole in the wall boat shop/upholsterer took care of me. Thanks for the heads up!

I've got one more year or two in Cambridge before I head back to the west. Hopefully I can prep better this year than I did for the last winter. Poor little girl didn't take well to it last year.

I gotta say, though...come that first relatively unfrozen day, she started right up without hesitation, just like always. My old XS650 was a beast if not started every single day.