Oldschool Ninjas

More
14 Aug 2008 15:26 #232038 by nfswift
Oldschool Ninjas was created by nfswift
Just picked up an 85 ZX 600 to toy with while I fix up the CSR and the SR.

I'm in the process of tuning things up and getting it dialed in before I start riding it seriously.

Anybody else own one or have experience riding one of these wee beasties?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2008 01:30 #232106 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Oldschool Ninjas
They are a blast to ride. It took me a while to get comfortable at low speeds but after that i had a ball. I rode the bike more miles in the short time i owned it than the last two bikes i had combined.

Insurance was cheap. I am going to try and buy another one this winter.

I rode the new 600R at the ohio meet and they are not as comfortable as the older ones. My arms seemed two inches too short.

The only pod type filters you can buy for the Ninja are K+N and they cost 150 bucks retail. I have a extra set in case i ever own another one.

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
16 Aug 2008 20:39 #232411 by nfswift
Replied by nfswift on topic Oldschool Ninjas
Ah, with my luck it actually came with K&Ns, the carbs need a serious once over (inconsistency in throttle response and smoothness is telling me they need to by synched badly), and possibly new jets, but the exhaust is stock, so I will play that one by the plugs. The valve clearances I've discovered are likely ridiculously tight so this needs attention too, along with the obvious cam chain tensioner that seems to be causing a bit of noise.

Aside from that the bike seems amazing, I havn't had a chance to clock any time on the KZ 650s, but if they are anywhere near as enjoyable as the ZX even in it's rough state I'm sitting on three little gold mines. I love the way the stock exhaust bellows on the ZX. It pulls strong and will outride me any day of the week.

More
16 Aug 2008 22:00 #232418 by fordtruck
Replied by fordtruck on topic Oldschool Ninjas
Boy this bring up some great memories! I had an 85 Ninja 600 for years. I bought it used in 93 and it was mint. They run pretty good. I put a K&N filter in the stock airbox. I did drill holes in the airbox and used a Dynojet stage 1 jet kit. I also put in an ignition advance. I'm still kicking myself for selling that bike.

'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port

More
17 Aug 2008 08:34 #232458 by CruisingRam
Replied by CruisingRam on topic Oldschool Ninjas
Always loved the early ninjas- great memories!
congrats and enjoy!

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

More
17 Aug 2008 10:02 - 17 Aug 2008 10:12 #232475 by nfswift
Replied by nfswift on topic Oldschool Ninjas
Well the airbox was hacked out of this one so I don't know weather I want to modify the bike to compete with modern rockets or to restore it completely. It does feel historic in a way being the original A1 Ninja 600... but after having aspirations for an 810 KZ it's hard not to dream up of ways to work over the Ninja. Doubt there's much room for engines swaps, but maybe Wiseco makes some goodies for the 600. It's a shame the GPZ would probably be too tall for the frame... there just isn't the same interchangability of the KZs.

Can't wait to get home to spend some quality time with the wrenches.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2008 10:12 by nfswift.