What Are The Odds ???

• H2RICK
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
13 Aug 2008 20:27 #231908 by H2RICK
What Are The Odds ??? was created by H2RICK
The guys and me (15 of us all together) went off on our annual ride recently to rip up the roads in the southern interior of BC. A grand time was had by all. No one fell off, the bikes all ran great and the weather cooperated, more or less. The periods of rain made us appreciate the sun all the more. Most guys had to go back to work after 3 days riding but 3 of us continued on for a full 6 days.
On the 5th day while heading towards home, the 3 of us stop for gas in Radium, BC, which is 2.5 - 3 hours from Cowtown.
I'm wandering around the lot of the gas station and guess what I see ??? A KZ650C2 in the original Metallic Stardust Silver paint !!! AND original pipes !!! In good shape !!! The seat has been high/lowed at some time in the past but otherwise than that she's completely bone-stock, with ~21,000 kms on the clock. It turns out that one of the mechs working in the garage portion of the service station is the proud owner and he's had her for about 5 years and loves her. And as an added bonus HIS name is Rick, too !!! What are the odds ???

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2008 21:37 #231914 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic What Are The Odds ???
So you DID your trip,eh Rick...right on,bud!
I didn't hear from you,so I wasn't sure if you guys headed over to B.C. or not.
Where all did you end up riding to?

And ya...that's pretty kool about the original 650.
So does this mean that we'll have ANOTHER Rick on here?:laugh:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
13 Aug 2008 21:40 #231916 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic What Are The Odds ???
Southern BC is great country. I worked in a little town called Invermere not far from Radium for the past 6 years. I drove there every week. I'm finally working full time at home in Nelson, BC. Did you make it over to the Nelson area?

• H2RICK
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
15 Aug 2008 21:16 - 15 Aug 2008 21:17 #232265 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic What Are The Odds ???
Well, gents, the first 2 days were rather leisurely, what with trying to get 15 guys to all show up at any given place at any given time. Anyone who has done road trips with more than 3 or 4 guys can appreciate that problem.
However, on Sunday afternoon (Aug 10th) 12 guys headed back for Cowtown and 3 of us continued on further west. We had camped at Nakusp on Saturday night (with on/off rain) and Sunday at lunchtime the 3 of us headed over the Monashee Pass for Vernon. It got warmer and warmer the further west we went so that was encouraging. We whizzed through Vernon and headed south for Osoyoos but the traffic in Kelowna was brutal and put us behind schedule about a half hour or so. We spent that night in Oliver. Up for breakfast and off through Osoyoos and onto the #3. I've never been up that east hill out of Osoyoos on a bike before so that was quite an experience. Great stuff with all the curves, and going uphill it was easy to scrub off speed if you overcooked it a little bit. On to Grand Forks for lunch and then Salmo for a well deserved rest. Not too hot during the day which is very unusual for that part of BC in August....but great for riding, though. Up in the AM for breakfast at the Dragonfly Restaurant in Salmo which was well worth the modest amount charged by them.
Back on the road in a coolish morning and determined to roll off the miles today. We stopped for mid afternoon gas and a break to "pump ship" in Cranbrook. We yacked with 8 guys from the Netherlands on a fly & ride holiday who had rented HD's in Seattle and were being guided around the whole area of southern BC and northern Washington by a Dutch guy who had moved to Canada over 30 years ago. He rides an ST1100 and it sure looked lonely amidst all the Harley iron.
On the road again and heading for Radium. We had an early supper there and I spotted the 650C2 while gwetting gas.
We then headed up #93 into Kootenay National Park and the Marble Canyon campground. A beautiful evening....but man, it got cool when the sun slid down behind the mountains. Up in the morning and off to the Continental Divide rest stop for a photo-op and then on to Banff, then Canmore for breakfast and then to Cowtown and home sweet home. I arrived home about 1:30 PM, glad to have survived all the crazy cagers with their motorhomes.
A hectic 6 days but well worth the time.

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.
Last edit: 15 Aug 2008 21:17 by H2RICK.

• Scrapper
  • User
  • I Survived P.D. Fri .the 13th 2008 .
More
16 Aug 2008 07:04 #232304 by Scrapper
Replied by Scrapper on topic What Are The Odds ???
Sounds like you guys had lots of fun on this one :)

Handle every situation like a dog,
If you can't eat it or hump it,
Piss on it and walk away!