Rode a Harley today...and wooped one too

• BeeSting
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Drive it like your tax dollars already paid for it
More
04 Aug 2008 17:43 #230194 by BeeSting
Someone came in to the armory today to make up for some drill time that he had missed. He had a 2006 Harley (something) that was pretty nice and he was pretty proud of it. He kept saying it had "a stage one or stage two something..."

So we went to lunch and we swapped bikes on the way there. On my bike (and with him forgetting to turn off the choke), he wooped me on the Harley. It was nice and all, I just wasnt getting into all the throttle, and there wasn't anything racy about it anyways.

His comment was "that thing does have power" and then "it feels so compact".

At Subway we switched back so he could show me what's up. We did a few blasts around the Delphi plant and it became apparent that he could only take my KZ when my nerve reached it's end (at around 90 mph with a turn coming up fast). In fact, he wouldn't have taken me at any point had my trans been engaging properly instead of easing itself into gears.

When we got back to the armory he had this sh!t eatin grin on his face. I was like "what?" and he says "I was doing 90 when I passed you." I was like "yeah, and you got beat by a filthy b!tch of a bike that's older than you. My Old KZ did some stage 2 on your a$$"

He wants to go at it again at lunch tomorrow.

BeeSting

Flint, Michigan - Chicagoland, IL

If I wasnt such a badass American, I would have to drive a Harley to make up for it

1980 Kawasaki KZ750 H1 LTD (4)
Kurayami (Girl of Darkness)暗闇の女

1980 Honda CX500C - GONE
Christine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2008 17:59 #230202 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Rode a Harley today...and wooped one too
In fact, he wouldn't have taken me at any point had my trans been engaging properly instead of easing itself into gears.
??? You have a bad trans?
No excuse at all for letting a harley get the better of you. Man I saw a v rod with drag bikes and nitroustake down a zx14 and a hayabusa at the dragstrip but then I know those bikes can't be that slow guy was only running at best 10 sec quarter miles and it was stretched and able to hook up good. We saw a stockish looking mustang that was nice and quiet scream down the track faster than 9 secs. The first time down the track they wouldn't post the time second time the car ran much slower and was still in the 9's.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

• BeeSting
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Aug 2008 20:48 #230233 by BeeSting
Replied by BeeSting on topic Rode a Harley today...and wooped one too
The end of the street is really what got the best of me. I'm just thankful that no one decided to engage in a police chase on the service drive we were on.

BeeSting

If I wasnt such a badass American, I would have to drive a Harley to make up for it

1980 Honda CX500C - GONE
Christine

More
05 Aug 2008 08:14 #230290 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic Rode a Harley today...and wooped one too
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old bold riders. OTOH, riding home yesterday a guy on a gold wing thought he was going to blow past me coming out of a stop sign. When I saw his front wheel moving past me I just blipped the throttle and it looked like he shifted into reverse. I slowed down because I had caught up with the guy I was riding home with and he blasted by me, discovering he was in the wrong lane and going way too fast to stop at the stop light so he just hangs a right turn infront of a semi. Guy was lucky not to get squashed...Kinda wish I still had my Harley pan head chopper I built back in the 70s. Foot clutch, butt wiper shift, stroked. It would really move.....chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

• l0g1c
  • User
  • Hanging on for dear life.
More
05 Aug 2008 14:46 - 05 Aug 2008 14:49 #230349 by l0g1c
Replied by l0g1c on topic Rode a Harley today...and wooped one too
I raced a newer model Boss Mustang. I was just on my way to work, so I short-shifted into 2nd before I realized he was goosing it. I just let it roll through 2nd before I really started picking up speed (you know how it goes ;) ) and kept my front tire just in line with his rear bumper. He let off just as I was shifting into third. I let off and gave him the thumbs up. I don't really care who "wins" but I like to let the old girl stretch her legs, and it's a blast doing it next to someone else's "baby."

I just hate seeing nice muscle cars/bikes just cruising around 5 below the speed limit and knowing that the owner never lets it off the chain. :(

'81 KZ750 LTD
'72 CB350K
Omaha, NE
Last edit: 05 Aug 2008 14:49 by l0g1c.

• BeeSting
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Aug 2008 19:34 #230584 by BeeSting
Replied by BeeSting on topic Rode a Harley today...and wooped one too
Yesterday the guy says to me "your bike is just too quiet. I like it loud" and I told him I liked my bike just the way it sounds. Makes it a little easier to hear the audible angst when you're shuttin someone down.

... his family are millionaires... why did I pay for lunch yesterday...?

BeeSting

1980 Honda CX500C - GONE
Christine