Certificate of title?

• OldSchoolHr
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kawasaki z900a4 1976 Croatia, Europe
More
03 Aug 2008 08:15 - 03 Aug 2008 08:18 #229839 by OldSchoolHr
Certificate of title? was created by OldSchoolHr
Hi, as you know I am from Croatia, Europe and I have one (in fact a few) question about exporting a frame of kz900.
Does enyone know and can explain procedure about exporting?
I saw that most sellers have a paper, Certificate of title.
What should I know about that paper?
Do I need invoice or some kind of contract also?
I saw that the other side of this paper is for transfer section. Is that for new owner?
What is lienholder!?
What is odometer reading!?
Does enyone know????
Should there be any stamp (or some kind of note)
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Aug 2008 08:18 by OldSchoolHr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
03 Aug 2008 08:36 #229845 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Certificate of title?
"I saw that most sellers have a paper, Certificate of title.
What should I know about that paper?"

A Certificate of title is a piece of paper that:
Establishes who owns a vehicle.
Sometimes avoids probate filings by clearly saying who should become the rightful owner should the present owner die.
Lets anyone know that the issuing State accepts this vehicle as roadworthy.
Lists a lienholder so that anyone considering purchasing the vehicle knows that another party is owed money on it.

"Do I need invoice or some kind of contract also?" That contract is called a "Bill of Sale" and typically states the date, the purchase price and the buyer's and seller names.

If the present owner signs the back side of the title in the transfer section that means that that owner has given up his ownership rights to the vehicle.

"What is lienholder!?"
A lienholder is anyone who loans money to another so that the that person can buy a vehicle. Typically the title is held by the lienholder till the debt is paid off. When the debt is paid off the lienholder signs the title to release the lien.

"What is odometer reading!?"
The odometer displays the number of miles that the vehicle has been driven. That reading is usually recorded at the time of transfer of ownership.

I can't answer your questions about export but a properly filled out title along with a good clear bill of sale ought to be a good place to start.

Hope this helps
KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
03 Aug 2008 09:40 #229855 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Certificate of title?
The only thing that I might add to what KZCSI posted is that generally, the export is not an issue, it is the import that represents the problematic area where additional money might be charged. It will not be a problem to ship this from the US (only shipping charges should be applied, and that will depend upon which carrier is selected and type of shipping options) but rather, Croatian import regulations. I don't know about Croatia, but, for example, the amount of 'duty' collected by Canada on an item shipped from the US will be partially determined by what and how the item is declared on the export customs declaration (a specific form). So, you should investigate how and what Croatia collects import duties on and what the exporter might put on the export form to lessen that financial burden on you. A clear title might allow you to export from the US and import to Croatia but is will certainly ease the registration process in Croatia.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• OldSchoolHr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Aug 2008 12:06 - 03 Aug 2008 12:17 #229882 by OldSchoolHr
Replied by OldSchoolHr on topic Certificate of title?
Thanks for your answers, but I have some more questions :blush:

"Do I need invoice or some kind of contract also?" That contract is called a "Bill of Sale" and typically states the date, the purchase price and the buyer's and seller names.

Does "Bill of sale" states VIN number and other stuff about motorcycle?

If the present owner signs the back side of the title in the transfer section that means that that owner has given up his ownership rights to the vehicle.

If he signes the back side, and in case of selling I belive he must do that, will he write my adress and name
as new owner? In fact I never saw the back side of that certificate. Can you post picture of it here?

"What is lienholder!?"
A lienholder is anyone who loans money to another so that the that person can buy a vehicle. Typically the title is held by the lienholder till the debt is paid off. When the debt is paid off the lienholder signs the title to release the lien.

OK. When seller said that frame has "clear title" does that mean that he is only owner and there is no lienholder?
Last edit: 03 Aug 2008 12:17 by OldSchoolHr.

• OldSchoolHr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Aug 2008 12:15 - 03 Aug 2008 13:58 #229888 by OldSchoolHr
Replied by OldSchoolHr on topic Certificate of title?
Mcdroid wrote:

The only thing that I might add to what KZCSI posted is that generally, the export is not an issue, it is the import that represents the problematic area where additional money might be charged. It will not be a problem to ship this from the US (only shipping charges should be applied, and that will depend upon which carrier is selected and type of shipping options) but rather, Croatian import regulations. I don't know about Croatia, but, for example, the amount of 'duty' collected by Canada on an item shipped from the US will be partially determined by what and how the item is declared on the export customs declaration (a specific form). So, you should investigate how and what Croatia collects import duties on and what the exporter might put on the export form to lessen that financial burden on you. A clear title might allow you to export from the US and import to Croatia but is will certainly ease the registration process in Croatia.

Thanks for your answers too!

I imported over 80 parts from USA to Croatia last year
but I never import part with VIN number.
So I want to know what I must have of paperwork so that Croatian tax laws wouldnt make any problem.
Tomorow I will go to one of Croatian importers and will ask them if they know something more about import procedure.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2008 13:58 by OldSchoolHr.