Milled roads and dropoffs

• l0g1c
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Hanging on for dear life.
More
02 Aug 2008 18:56 #229780 by l0g1c
Milled roads and dropoffs was created by l0g1c
So yesterday, I was riding to work on the interstate here in Omaha and as I approached a corner, I saw that the corner was milled. Now, of course I've run into milled roads before, and while it's a little unnerving, it's never been a big deal. Well, a milled corner was new to me. Luckily, it wasn't that severe a turn and I made it through no problem.

Today, I decided it would be best to avoid that lane, so I picked the other one. Well lo and behold, they milled this one overnight too, and poorly. I slowed down and got through okay again, but it was VERY unnerving how the bike danced underneath me.

Another thing that bugged me is that there are lane dropoffs about four fingers high. Cars were having trouble switching lanes for crying out loud! I knew that it's recommended to take as drastic an angle as you can, but I decided I'd rather not try at 65mph.

Anyone care to share their experiences? Just suck it up? :P

'81 KZ750 LTD
'72 CB350K
Omaha, NE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2008 19:19 #229781 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Milled roads and dropoffs
ive been looking at that same stretch along northbound kennedy freeway heading to my shop where those jackoffs are resurfacing the road for last 3 weeks thing that somebody is going to come around that bend not knowing its there!take it easy through there and stay in center lanes till leavonworth exit where its finished for now,thats how im dealing with it anyway :angry:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
02 Aug 2008 19:30 #229783 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Milled roads and dropoffs
They used to oil the roads here and then throw about 2 inches of sand over it. You would come around a corner and there would be a 2 inch layer of loose sand with oil under it. They haven't done that in about 20 years now. But we do have homeowners that think blowing out their yards or driveways into the street is OK. Scrub does do funny things to a bike. Grated bridges too. Now we got to worry about bridges falling on us. :ohmy:

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

• l0g1c
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Hanging on for dear life.
More
02 Aug 2008 19:33 #229784 by l0g1c
Replied by l0g1c on topic Milled roads and dropoffs
Yep, that's the spot I'm talking about. I watched a car straddle the lanes in front of me today. I think he was so scared after his left tires dropped, he didn't want to do the other ones. :(

'81 KZ750 LTD
'72 CB350K
Omaha, NE

More
02 Aug 2008 20:47 #229792 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Milled roads and dropoffs
Here in southern California we have concrete freeways with asphalt offramps and whenever thet repave the offramps it raises up a little. A couple offramps have caught me by surprise when I hit that ridge at a slight angle (bad!) at about 65-70 mph. For the last couple weeks I've been hitting it slower and looking for a better spot and more of an angle. As a side note, when I first moved out here and started riding on the freeways it took a little getting used to riding with the diamond grooves cut into the concrete for rain, bike would squirm a little under you. I'm used to it now and don't even notice anymore...

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!