have to sell bike

More
30 Jul 2008 17:45 #229238 by clutch85
have to sell bike was created by clutch85
hello, i just had my compression checked on my 78 kz1000 and the compression is horrible, im looking to buy a new bike with a solid engine i can restore, how would i know if a bike has good compression when im looking at bikes to buy wihtout testing it with a gauge is their clues i could use or what should i do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2008 18:05 #229244 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic have to sell bike
Not that it's any of my business but why not just restore the engine you have?

Most probably cheaper than a purchasing another used bike where you can have other sorts of issues or the same for that matter... This is the risk with any used bike, especially a 30 year old bike.

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
30 Jul 2008 18:36 #229250 by p8ntgolftenn
Replied by p8ntgolftenn on topic have to sell bike
Or you could find a motor on somewhere like ebay...im lookin for a 650 motor or another 440 because the way I rebuilt my motor I don't know how much I'm going to trust it when I complete my bike.

More
30 Jul 2008 19:42 #229264 by Virii
Replied by Virii on topic have to sell bike
If you've got the space and time, it certainly would be worth it. If nothing else, I've been calling around Massachusetts and New Hampshire today looking for an exhaust hanger and came across a bone yard with a 650 engine priced at around $200 or so.

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy another bike, just that you should sell me the exhaust hangers from yours before you do. ;)

Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

More
30 Jul 2008 19:48 #229267 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic have to sell bike
clutch85 wrote:

hello, i just had my compression checked on my 78 kz1000 and the compression is horrible, im looking to buy a new bike with a solid engine i can restore, how would i know if a bike has good compression when im looking at bikes to buy wihtout testing it with a gauge is their clues i could use or what should i do?

Food for thought --

Lots of compression checks are done wrong, often by failing to keep the throttle held wide open during testing. And even when done correctly and showing low psi figures, often a simple routine valve adjustment restores acceptable compression.

The compression test is simple enough to correctly perform. And the testing tool is relatively inexpensive to purchase and may often be borrowed free of charge at a local auto supply store such as AutoZone. A feeler gauge is also needed to measure the valve clearances.

A leak-down test is also a good indicator of general overall condition of an engine, by showing where and extent to which the combustion chamber compression is escaping (intake valve, exhaust valve, or down past piston rings into the crankcase).

Am just wondering about the possibility of your existing bike already having a "solid" engine which might not need to be "restored."

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD