Title w/o paperwork?

More
29 Jul 2008 11:43 #228929 by ronjones
Title w/o paperwork? was created by ronjones
For the past year I've been putting a buddies '74 BMW R90 back together. He bought it from one of his neighbors around 7yrs ago, and both he and his son had a go @ getting it running, before bringing it to me. By the time it came to me it was a literal basket case. Well I got it back together and running a couple of months ago. So now that I've got it runable, my buddy went looking for the title, and can't find it. He went back to the person he bought it from and found out that he'd died. The widow is cooperative and will help out in any way she can, the problem is that in MD you MUST at least have the title #, in order to have a new title reissued, no title, no title #, no title # no way to register. I think some of y'all have mentioned that there are states that will register an old bike w/a bill-of-sale. Does anyone know if any of the states surrounding MD (Va, De, Pa, W.Va) allow this type of registration. Or do any of y'all know another way to get this bike finally legal? If we can get a legal title in one state, it shouldn't be a problem getting it regestered here.
Any info would be appriciated, thanks

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2008 11:46 #228931 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Title w/o paperwork?
There is a a company out of Maine that will register your bike...fundamentally, you sell it to them and they sell it back to you with a Maine title...don't recall the name, perhaps someone will leap in now...

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• Limey
  • User
  • 3 Years in the U.K. - Brought the KZ with me!
More
29 Jul 2008 12:13 #228940 by Limey
Replied by Limey on topic Title w/o paperwork?
If the title was never transferred, the widow "may" be able to get a replacement title, then sign it over to your friend. If she is cooperative, and he does all the legwork, it may be the easiest route.

Eric
Newmarket, England (for 3 years)
Pentwater, Michighan (Home)
1978 KZ650
2000 ZG1000
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

More
29 Jul 2008 12:31 #228943 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Title w/o paperwork?

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
29 Jul 2008 13:27 #228952 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Title w/o paperwork?
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.:cheer:
The problem, Limey, is that there are only 2, owner, documents that have the title # on them, the title and the registration card. My buddy lost the title and I doubt that the widow can come up w/a registration card.
I stopped off @ the State police barracks on my way home, and the officer, behind the desk at the time, said if I got the PO's full name and DOB, he MIGHT be able to come up w/vehicles registered in that name. Then we can get the title # and she can apply for a lost title. Steve is getting the information. I can only hope that when I get the info, it's the same officer. He said, it's so old, the short VIN was actually useless.
Kawtoy, that ITS looks very interesting and would be a better option than getting a salvage title. Might even be a better option than finding a local state that will register it. Much cheaper than I expected. I'll let Steve know. Have you ever used them?
I'm still interested in info on surrounding states...can never have enough options.
Thanks, again.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
30 Jul 2008 12:59 #229185 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Title w/o paperwork?
I wanted to let y'all know, in case someone else can use the info. The trooper came through:cheer: I gave him the name and DOB along w/the VIN and he not only gave me the title # but the last tag # as well.

More
30 Jul 2008 23:22 #229294 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic Title w/o paperwork?
Come to Canada, if you've got a bill of sale it's yours :laugh:

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.