rider crashed right in front of my shop yesterday.

More
28 Jul 2008 05:42 #228649 by kawsakiman
right in front of my shop!
it was after hours and the boss, another guy we call radio ( if you seen the movie, you'll know why )and myself were hanging out front.
radio was saying how he wanted to buy the bosses 87fz700 as his first bike.
now my shop is on a busy road heading to lake ontario so there are always crotch rockets and harleys blazing by. most of the time we don't give it any thought.
but this time we all looked for some reason.
there is an advance auto right next door to my shop, i guess that is were they were headed.
going way to fash and following each other way to close.
one started to slow down to turn and the second one was going to fast to do anything.
i swear i seen his tendons in his arm popping he was pulling the front brake so hard.
well, he upended it, tank slapped it while the rear tire was in the air and went over and crashed hard on the whole left side of his body.
of course since the bike was a cbr900, he was wearing a t shirt and shorts.
whole left side rashed from his shoulder to his ankels.
he lost his left shoe during the crash.

he did jump up and get the hell out of the road then just lay down and flop his helmet off.
me and radio ran out to see what we could do.
a few cars stopped and i picked his bike up and got it out of the road.
the frame sliders did nothing. the primary broke and it was dumping oil everywhere.
many people in cars and advance auto called 911.

the funny thing was i didn't know who he was riding with.
it took almost 5 minutes for that guy to come out of advance auto.

end result was they scooped him up and took him to the hospital, his friend came with a truck and we loaded his crashed bike.

oh yeah, you should have seen the helmet he was wearing.
all sanded and no faceshield. i would not let my dog wear that lid to ride a dirtbike and this guy was blazing down a main road with it.

i got to say that is the first crash i seen firsthand.
and it was all his fault.
to fast for traffic conditions.

i think he will be ok, just a bunch of rash and a broken bike.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2008 06:31 #228657 by harm
Ouch! Its a good thing he was at least wearing a helmet. I know there are a lot of riders that don't like to wear helmets but i just don't understand it. It don't take much to hurt the head so why not try to protect it a little more with a helmet.

I have never gotten road rash but i bet it hurts really bad!

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

More
28 Jul 2008 06:52 #228663 by ltdrider
Someone told me once that there are two kinds of riders:
The ones that have gone down, and the ones that will go down.
Sounds like he'll be sore from the rash he got.
I'll admit that when it's hot, I'll stow the jacket and ride in a tee shirt. But I've never ridden in shorts. After reading this one, I'm going to get religion, and wear my jacket.
Thanks for posting.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
28 Jul 2008 07:47 #228672 by Virii

I'm sorry...what?? The person he was riding with just dumped in the middle of the road and this guy goes in to buy a light bulb and a Slim Jim?

Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

More
28 Jul 2008 08:56 #228690 by HerrDeacon
Virii wrote:

I'm sorry...what?? The person he was riding with just dumped in the middle of the road and this guy goes in to buy a light bulb and a Slim Jim?

Great friend eh? :huh:

More
28 Jul 2008 09:08 #228694 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic rider crashed right in front of my shop yesterday.
There are bold riders, and old riders. However, there are VERY few old bold riders..............A dealer once told me that the average life span of a rice rocket is 6000 miles.....chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

• KOOL RYDER
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
28 Jul 2008 09:20 #228696 by KOOL RYDER
Bad news....

I am looking for a pair of riding jeans with Kevlar to protect me from such incidents.

Road rash can be deadly if not treated properly. If you get an infection that spereds quickly then it could mean the end of you.

At hospitals, they will actually scour the road rash to remove dirt and make it bleed more to ensure the dirt is out of the rash.

I mean as if the original scrape was not bad enough.

I hope that I never go down, I still remember how bad my scrapped knee hurt when I duffed on my mountian bike as a kid.

KR

Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST

More
28 Jul 2008 09:37 #228701 by Virii
Oh, I love Kevlar. I almost always have a k-shirt on (You never know when the urge or need to ride will strike you, right? ;) )

If you're interested, Draggin now has kevlar long johns. I ordered a pair that should be here shortly and I'll let you know but I like the idea of being able to wear any pair of jeans I like. Kevlar underwear beats a pair of shorts any day.

Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

More
28 Jul 2008 09:53 #228703 by ltdrider
If you slide with Kevlar, will the friction heat it up enough to burn your skin?

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
28 Jul 2008 10:11 #228711 by steell
harm wrote:

I have never gotten road rash but i bet it hurts really bad!

It's not too bad, and it only hurts for a short time. Broken rib hurts an awful lot more, and takes longer to heal.

I always wear a helmet, and just recently picked up a jacket and pants with armor, I'm just not as tough as I used to be, plus I take longer to heal :(

I have never gotten road rash "YET" but i bet it hurts really bad!

There, fixed that for you :D

KD9JUR

More
28 Jul 2008 12:06 #228728 by Virii

If you slide with Kevlar, will the friction heat it up enough to burn your skin?

As I understand it, no. It also has a much higher melt point which gives it an advantage to polyester/nylon/et al that apparently heat fairly readily. A friend once showed me some scars he claims are the result of his jacket melting to his skin during a fall. *shudder*

More
28 Jul 2008 14:15 #228745 by DasTeufel
coppertales wrote:

There are bold riders, and old riders. However, there are VERY few old bold riders..............A dealer once told me that the average life span of a rice rocket is 6000 miles.....chris3

Oh? Maybe in the hands of an inexperienced rider. I have put well over 40K on my TL, and have two minor incidents. I ride with full gear all the time (leather race suit, race boots, gloves and full face helmet).

In regards to Kevlar, the Motoport stuff is very good as I understand, and are the only textile suits, besides Aerostitch, that are allowed at trackdays. I know a guy that races in his, has wrecked a few times, and has had no problems. YMMV

2009 KTM 690 SMC
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2001 Suzuki GSXR 750

Wildomar, CA