Photo ripoff?

More
26 Jul 2008 04:40 #228399 by DasTeufel
Replied by DasTeufel on topic Photo ripoff?
Just call them and let them know. No need for lawyers or any of that crap.

2009 KTM 690 SMC
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2001 Suzuki GSXR 750

Wildomar, CA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2008 06:49 #228406 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Photo ripoff?
Have to agree, sucks but at the same time cool. If they only asked and had your name = your bike in the add then all would be cool, that would be good enough for me. If you can get a freebie then better yet but the acknowledgment of your work (your bike) should be sufficient.

Lawyers are too expensive and for this case, your not going after millions of dollars here. For whatever money you could get out of this would only go to the lawyer so screw that...
Experience: Divorce lawyers, what a P.O.S. = high $$$ out of my pocket.

Question, since I'm not a lawyer (Thank the KZ GOD's) if we publish (insert) an image on any given website, does it become open domain, free to the public?

I'm kinda of thinking it does...

Your choice on what to do but a non angry letter to them with the possibility of adding your name to the bike in the add may get you some recognition, 15 minutes of fame. It they reply back with nasty, then make your decision.

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
26 Jul 2008 06:56 #228407 by billz
Replied by billz on topic Photo ripoff?
Jump on them. Plain and simple it's theft of your property. The web gurus at my office said that Getty Images makes more money from fining people who don't pay usage rights than the actual sales of their photos. We've had to renegoiate with photographers because we wanted to use their photos on our company website. With photography, it's all about the usage rights.

Bill

More
26 Jul 2008 10:29 #228424 by supercharged
Replied by supercharged on topic Photo ripoff?
Old Man Rock wrote:

Question, since I'm not a lawyer (Thank the KZ GOD's) if we publish (insert) an image on any given website, does it become open domain, free to the public?

If the image is marked as copyrighted - as most of my images usually are that is the first step in protecting yourself. If an images is not marked, then the "public" has not been warned. A real thief is one who steals an images and removes the mark.

When posting on a website, the site usually has terms and condition that are agreed to upon registering. They normally take claim to a license to use that image if you post it there. And.. you are voluntarily posting it...

In this case, since the image does not appear to have a copyright mark, then you need to determine where it was stolen from. Say it was taken from the image gallery here... the this site may have more rights to it then you, since the pages are marked Copyright © 1998 - 2007 - KZrider.com

Copyright, unlike a trademark, is an inherent right. This means that it is NOT required to register your work. I register all my images in bulk, usually quarterly, with the US Copyright office, and all that does it archive them somewhere that can be referred to. This is more common now, since digital images do not have as much proof as film. Again the key being the copyright mark on the image or the place where presented.

I have had MOST of the model I shoot use the images without providing me proper credit, even though they sign a release and distributed images come with an open use license, PROVIDING they give photo credits. Models never read the law, don't want to know the law and continue to believe that since the image is of them... they have rights to use it. NOT SO! I never go after a model. It would get me no where. If one becomes overly successful, then I may have a case.

Mike D
- 79 KZ1000 LTD Supercharged
- 80 KZ1000 1105cc Pridmore/Vetter tribute
- 79 Honda CBX
- 03 Z1000 Mod
- 80 KZ1000 LTD Modified
- 80 KZ1000 LTD PROJECT on Hold
- 78 KZ1000/900 - Street big block
- 78 KZ1000-NEEDS HELP!
- 80 CBX -Project STARTED
- 81 GPZ1100
- GSRX1200
- 80 CB750F supersport......

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
26 Jul 2008 15:58 #228445 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Photo ripoff?
supercharged wrote:
If the image is marked as copyrighted - as most of my images usually are that is the first step in protecting yourself.[/quote]

This is not accurate. A photo is automatically protected by copyright law as soon as it is taken. The taker of the photograph is the copyright holder. Anyone other than that legally needs "express written consent" to use the photo in any way whatsoever. If it is not marked, that does NOT give anyone fair game to use the image as they please!

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

More
26 Jul 2008 17:29 #228452 by supercharged
Replied by supercharged on topic Photo ripoff?
Clutch, I stand corrected to the fact that the image does NOT require the copyright notice.

I'm old and I still use it, for obvious reasons, but this was a part of the old law, which was changed in the early 90s(?). It is still highly suggested, so that you put the world on notice. It also allows someone to possibly trace the owner for the purpose of asking permission.

Mike D
- 79 KZ1000 LTD Supercharged
- 80 KZ1000 1105cc Pridmore/Vetter tribute
- 79 Honda CBX
- 03 Z1000 Mod
- 80 KZ1000 LTD Modified
- 80 KZ1000 LTD PROJECT on Hold
- 78 KZ1000/900 - Street big block
- 78 KZ1000-NEEDS HELP!
- 80 CBX -Project STARTED
- 81 GPZ1100
- GSRX1200
- 80 CB750F supersport......

More
27 Jul 2008 07:32 - 27 Jul 2008 07:39 #228501 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Photo ripoff?
Copyright law is rather complicated (and IMHO) copyright has been extended to absurd limits (life of the author plus 70 years, thanks to Disney).

First off, copyright violation is "not" theft, it's copyright violation. Theft is a criminal violation, violation of copyright is a civil matter. The RIAA and MPAA is trying to get this changed though, a bill has been introduced in Congress to create a IP (intellectual Property, an oxymoron) Czar and IP police at the Federal level to prosecute IP (Copyright, Patent, and Trademark) violations as criminal violations.

Second, copyright registration is optional, but it increase statutory damages (the amount you are entitled to be awarded if you win at trial).

Copyright is automatic when the material is stored in a fixed medium ( a song performance is not copyrighted till it's recorded).

Third, if you want to have some control over your work, such as prohibit commercial use, I suggest using the no commercial use version of the Creative Commons license.

Fourth, Fair Use is an affirmative defense to a copyright violation charge.

Fifth, much as I dislike the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act), you can issue a DMCA Take Down Notice to their ISP to have their site taken down for copyright violation, but unless you have the $$$$$$$$ to follow through with litigation, it's of little more than nuisance value.

IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer), and I don't play one on TV, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, law is just another of my varied interests :)

KD9JUR
Last edit: 27 Jul 2008 07:39 by steell.

More
28 Jul 2008 12:56 #228739 by kzr750r1
Replied by kzr750r1 on topic Photo ripoff?
Called today and sked for removal from both 750 and 1100 pages. Was not overly anemated about it... Just asked for it to be removed.

Well see.

KZ750R1 + 1991 ZR750 = KZR750R1
Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube. - HST

More
28 Jul 2008 13:42 #228743 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Photo ripoff?
It worked...you are no longer on their website:)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
28 Jul 2008 22:07 #228837 by JoeK
Replied by JoeK on topic Photo ripoff?
Mcdroid wrote:

It worked...you are no longer on their website:)

Hmmm, I guess you're no longer a Celebrity... I would have thought it was cool. Now it's just a story about how one time some company used an image of your bike without your permission.

1977 KZ1000 - coolest
1973 Honda CB-750 - oldest
2004 Yamaha FZ1 - fastest
www.jekgraphics.com/gallery/kzr Galleries of So Cal Events
www.VintageBikeOC.com Monthly Meet of Vintage Bikes in Orange County, CA

More
29 Jul 2008 11:02 #228914 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Photo ripoff?
steell wrote:

The RIAA and MPAA is trying to get this changed though, a bill has been introduced in Congress to create a IP (intellectual Property, an oxymoron) Czar and IP police at the Federal level to prosecute IP (Copyright, Patent, and Trademark) violations as criminal violations.

When will the idiots in Washington learn that calling some lackey position in the federal government a "czar" is patently absurd?

First we had a "drug czar" back in the eighties and a few more have followed over the years, each more annoying and irritating than the last. Beyond being absurd, the use of the term czar spits in the face of the US Constitution and our model representative republic of government.

Okay, I got off on a tangent there. :S

Glad to hear you were able to reach a conclusion.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
29 Jul 2008 11:16 #228918 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Photo ripoff?
supercharged wrote:

Clutch, I stand corrected to the fact that the image does NOT require the copyright notice.

I'm old and I still use it, for obvious reasons, but this was a part of the old law, which was changed in the early 90s(?). It is still highly suggested, so that you put the world on notice. It also allows someone to possibly trace the owner for the purpose of asking permission.

Yes that sounds about right as far as the year. The only reason I knew that is because I used to work for Ritz Camera and they made sure that we knew about that. It is recommended to add a notice somewhere on it, though if you have the original negative or can prove in some way that you took the picture, the offending party will not have a leg to stand on.

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...