SoCal: Pancakes anyone?

More
19 Jul 2008 12:41 #227103 by JohNLA
Replied by JohNLA on topic SoCal: Pancakes anyone?
Made it home but my new bike has gone down a few points in my eyes.
I got on the Hwy no problem right behind Joe & Chris. As we went up the first big hill the bike starts sputtering and backfiring and bucking a lot.
I pulled to the shoulder and noticed the battery light flashing. I thought oh great electrical. I still tried changing to reserve just to eliminate the petcock and it didn't help. I turned it off and back on but most of my start-up lights were not coming on and the starter did nothing.:angry:
I rolled down the hill enough to bump start it and it fired up but ran crappy just like before with the battery light flashing. We bucked on a long the shoulder until an exit 3 or 4 miles up and I got the hell off the highway.

I got out my tool kit and removed the side cover. The battery fluid and connections looked fine. I checked the fuses and they looked okay. Plugs wires looked good.

I didn't know what else to check. So I started the bike up and she ran flawlessly all the way home:dry: :blink: :lol:

So after I cool down I will have a good look.

Tim, I think I am ready to ride to Sturgiss;)
Grant, I was wrong the article is in the July issue "classic MC mechanics" is on the 650csr. Not the 1000, like yours:blush: I owe you a breakfast, next time.
Joe, those shirts you gave us are way to cool. Thanks, again.
Chris, love your new ride and good luck on finding a new pad.
Everyone else, see you next time.

s49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/JohNLA_photo/1983%20GPZ%20550/
83 GPZ 550 Stock with 3600 miles_83s.
83 GPZ 550 4-1,pods,Mikuni 36,000 + miles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2008 12:49 #227105 by JoeK
Replied by JoeK on topic SoCal: Pancakes anyone?
John,
We stopped at the next exit, Chris doubled back, and I stopped at the top of the ON ramp, Chris saw you pass as he was going back, I think I saw you get off at Agua Dolce Canyon exit and go North, I was right up the hill, but you didn't see me.

Glad you made it home...

1977 KZ1000 - coolest
1973 Honda CB-750 - oldest
2004 Yamaha FZ1 - fastest
www.jekgraphics.com/gallery/kzr Galleries of So Cal Events
www.VintageBikeOC.com Monthly Meet of Vintage Bikes in Orange County, CA

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
19 Jul 2008 22:30 #227174 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic SoCal: Pancakes anyone?
Hey Houdini...um, I mean John, we were wondering what happened to you. :blink:
Just as Joe pulled beside me and motioned behind us, I looked in the mirror and didn't see you anywhere.
And the way the crazy cagers were driving today, I honestly feared the worst. :S :ohmy:

About halfway back up the hill I passed you going the opposite direction, but couldn't raise my arm to wave for fear that it would be yanked off. Yeah, I was speeding just a wee bit. :whistle:

I'm sure glad you made it home and in one piece. :)
Any ideas yet as to what's ailing your bike?

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
21 Jul 2008 10:42 #227462 by JohNLA
Replied by JohNLA on topic SoCal: Pancakes anyone?
Thanks, for going back guys. I should have called you but my mind was on my bike. Next time I will give you ring and let you know.
I know what you mean about the traffic. Everyone was doing 80 and above.
I still am not sure what exactly was wrong. I think a fuse wire jiggled loose but that is a guess. Since it is now working, it is hard to tell. I rode it to work today, with no problems.:huh:

s49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/JohNLA_photo/1983%20GPZ%20550/
83 GPZ 550 Stock with 3600 miles_83s.
83 GPZ 550 4-1,pods,Mikuni 36,000 + miles

More
21 Jul 2008 10:51 #227463 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic SoCal: Pancakes anyone?
JohNLA wrote:

Thanks, for going back guys. I should have called you but my mind was on my bike. Next time I will give you ring and let you know.
I know what you mean about the traffic. Everyone was doing 80 and above.
I still am not sure what exactly was wrong. I think a fuse wire jiggled loose but that is a guess. Since it is now working, it is hard to tell. I rode it to work today, with no problems.:huh:

Intermittent electrical problems are the worst. I hope you've had your glitch for the year.
Weekend traffic on the 14 (and just about everywhere else) is a challenge. Everyone thinks it's a racetrack. I tried to keep it at 70 once Chuck/Valerie, Grant/Vanessa, and I got on the freeway going north. I was in the slow lane, and the cages were FLYING by me. I hate that.
Glad everyone got home OK... some of you had a pretty long ride.
JoeK, THANKS for the cool shirt...fits just right.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC