Pulling Bike Onto Centerstand

More
27 Jun 2008 09:02 #222503 by wiredgeorge
Pulling Bike Onto Centerstand was created by wiredgeorge
Well, I didn't mention this previously but I ruptured a biceps tendon pulling a KZ900 carb test bike onto center stand a few weeks ago. I was also sick as a dog and couldn't get the tendon repaired until I was well enough and then had a cast on my arm for awhile. I did get the tendon fixed and all is healing nicely... getting back to pulling the bike onto centerstand. The KZ900 has no place to grab other than on the frame and this sets your grab point at an awkward angle. POP GOES THE TENDON although I have done the centerstand thing thousands of times. While recouperating, I noticed www.z1enterprises.com had a grab hand sold for the KZ1000 models that might be of help as it offers a better location for your rear grab point when rocking the bike up onto the centerstand. I bought one and installed it and it is now super easy to pull the bike up as the grab point is very ergonomic. I just put one on the left side of the bike but you can put one on either side if you like to balance out the look. The rail mounts onto the shock mount under the shock mount nut and the back mount point is on the tab that the rear turn signal mounts to... there is an extra hole there. They supply the needed bolt and washer with the rail although it doesn't show in the picture. Unfortunately, the rail doesn't fit my KZ1000E1 which has about two more inches between the mount points. The rail fits any KZ that has the 4 inch offset betwen mount points. It is one of the best accessories I have bought. Cudos to Z1E! wg

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2008 09:12 - 27 Jun 2008 10:31 #222506 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Pulling Bike Onto Centerstand
To prevent such a thing happening to me, I removed that pesky centerstand completely:) :laugh: :laugh:

And, sorry to hear about your injury...

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Last edit: 27 Jun 2008 10:31 by Mcdroid.

More
27 Jun 2008 10:32 #222511 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Pulling Bike Onto Centerstand
When parking the bike, can pull the rear tire onto a piece of 2x12 (or 2x-anything) whereby the rear end is higher. A beveled edge makes it easy for the rear tire to roll up onto it.

Here's a pic of a KZ900 LTD on its sidestand with a 2x12 wood block in place ready to push bike forward with rear tire sitting on the block just before rocking bike back onto the centerstand -- you won't believe how easy it is (no tendons required). When on the centerstand, the rear wheel may be freed by simply pushing the block out from under the tire.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
27 Jun 2008 11:59 #222518 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Pulling Bike Onto Centerstand
Yeah... I know... sigh... pulled the KZ900 onto centerstand probably 5 times a day, 6 days a week of years. NO problemo then one day, my decrepit arm just went POP... I have to use the method shown with the board for getting my Voyager onto centerstand. I am pretty strong but have NEVER figured that one out. It has a two stage centerstand. First is a lever that you push down to get the centerstand down then the centerstand itself. It is like trying to deadlift 700 lbs! If I use a 5/8" piece of plywood under the rear tire, it comes up effortlessly. The 79 shafty E1 is the easier bike I have ever owned to get onto the centerstand. It must be in the balance as that bike isn't light...

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
27 Jun 2008 14:34 #222556 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Pulling Bike Onto Centerstand
It was the lack of a grab rail that caused me to drop my SR the first time I tried to put it on the centerstand. I managed to score a pair of the correct ones and I'm fortunate the 650B already had them on it. It does make a tremendous difference handling the bike.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
27 Jun 2008 16:25 #222580 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Pulling Bike Onto Centerstand
Great tip Patton about the piece of wood, I'm going to have to try that one. Thanks.

More
27 Jun 2008 20:38 #222610 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Pulling Bike Onto Centerstand
When on the centerstand, some bikes have more clearance than others between the rear tire and floor.

The 2x (which actually measures 1.5" thick) works well for Z1 and KZ900 LTD, but might be a little too thick for a different bike where a somewhat thinner board might work better.

For example, wg's Voyager does well with a 5/8" thick board.

It's desirable to have a loose fit between the tire and board so the board may be readily pushed out from underneath the tire in order to free the rear wheel for servicing, etc.

Would probably be a good idea to first measure the clearance between tire and floor, and choose the board thickness accordingly.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
28 Jun 2008 07:59 #222664 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic Pulling Bike Onto Centerstand
Yep, that handle makes a HUGE difference...although the correct geometry in/of the centrestand makes a big difference too. My 650 with the handles in place is close to effortless to put on the stand PROVIDED that I don't have a bunch of heavy stuff strapped to the carrier. Without any cargo, I can almost put it on the centrestand simply by stepping of the centrestand extension and pushing forward a bit with my foot. The grab handle almost is a "steadying" device, rather than a lifting device.
BTW, I'm no Arnie either....rather the opposite.:laugh: :laugh:

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

More
28 Jun 2008 12:11 #222689 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Pulling Bike Onto Centerstand
I tried the wood trick and it works great!!!

More
28 Jun 2008 17:53 #222729 by jaguar
Replied by jaguar on topic Pulling Bike Onto Centerstand
Hey, First, hope your healing well! Second, I dont want to oversimplify the process but, a friend of mine was watching me put my 82 50 gpz on the centerstand and he showed me something that really surprised me. He showed me that the more weight I put on my right foot the less I had to pull up w/ my arm. As I have some crunching going on in my right shoulder,it sure has helped me. Maybe it will help you also. Joe