Mesh jacket, opinions?

More
24 Jun 2008 15:40 #221929 by Rich
Mesh jacket, opinions? was created by Rich
Hasn't gotten too hot here this summer, and I have a much higher tolerance for being hot than most people, but my Joe Rocket Ballistic Jakcet can be oppressive especially for short rides with stop and go.

Anybody got a favorite in mesh, preferably one that won't break the bank? I don't like riding without a jacket, scared shitless of roadrash and broken bones, lol. It would also be nice to have some high vis, reflective stuff on it as I'm in the military and we're all required to wear that when we ride.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2008 16:09 #221931 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Mesh jacket, opinions?
I think mine is made by First Gear.
Light, with rubber inserts in the shoulders and elbows. The wind blows thru it like you're wearing a tee shirt.
But I don't kid myself about protection. I think it will instantly shred in the event of a lay down on asphalt.
But at 106F, leather is not an option.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
24 Jun 2008 16:25 #221935 by Z1R rider
Replied by Z1R rider on topic Mesh jacket, opinions?
Rich wrote:

I don't like riding without a jacket, scared shitless of roadrash

If roadrash scares you then read this thread.
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...=13&id=155738#155738

Don't you have to wear those reflective vests anymore? Or just on base?

1978 KZ1000, Z1R
1999 250 Ninja race bike
2013 WR250F, fun in the dirt

More
24 Jun 2008 16:25 #221936 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Mesh jacket, opinions?
I got the original Cool-Tech which later changed there name to Vent-Tech and it's great. I've probably got 150,000 miles on that jacket all over the country.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
24 Jun 2008 16:31 #221939 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Mesh jacket, opinions?
I've found my Joe Rocket Alter Ego Textile to be quite acceptable on hot days. In fact, below 80 degrees it's nearly too chilly. I don't like the latest version as it doesn't appear have as much mesh and it has much less color than the original version.

So far I've had the good fortune to not have to try it out on asphalt. I've read anecdotes from others that the mesh held up surprisingly well for them. I do know it stops bugs nicely.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
25 Jun 2008 08:24 #222057 by Rich
Replied by Rich on topic Mesh jacket, opinions?
Z1R rider wrote:

Rich wrote:

I don't like riding without a jacket, scared shitless of roadrash

If roadrash scares you then read this thread.
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...=13&id=155738#155738

Don't you have to wear those reflective vests anymore? Or just on base?

Letter of the law says you have to wear a high visibility over garment (open to interpretation what that means, a weakness in the program) during the day and a reflective one at night, anywhere you are riding on or off post. A lot of guys blow it off, but if you get in an accident and weren't doing all the right things, you're not in line of duty, so you pay your own medical bills, then deal with the UCMJ actions for being selectively disobedient when you heal up. An awful lot of guys are willing to risk that, it seems, but I'm not, plus I'm at an age/rank/position where I need to set an example for the young bucks.

I'd wear most that stuff anyway, the vest I'm not convinced is a real life saver, but it could be. I bought one of the ones Icon makes specifically for the purpose and just leave it on the jacket all the time. It's a good piece of gear, mine's pretty faded now, but still reflects.

I have an approved retirement in for October with orders and everything if I don't get stop lossed to do one more trip to the sand box, and I won't miss a great many of the interferences into my personal life that service entails, but the emphasis on motorcycle safety is something I can live with, and since I plan on working for the DOD in one capacity or another, I'll still be adhering to the rules.

Nate, is the Alter Ego a completely mesh one or a combination? I really like the Ballistic I have and it rarely get's so hot to where I can't stand to wear it (again, I've got higher tolerance for heat than most, cold bothers me much, much worse), but we're getting to the short period of time when it does. I'll so some looking on their site and check out the Alter Ego.

More
25 Jun 2008 16:36 #222159 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Mesh jacket, opinions?
My Alter Ego is a mesh jacket with an outer liner that zips on rather quickly plus an inner liner that is more wind proof and water proof. The Kevlar mesh is always a part of the jacket and is the lower half of the arms and below the collarbone/shoulders. The armor blocks (forearm, elbow, shoulder pads and back protector) stay with the jacket at all times.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
28 Jun 2008 03:40 #222637 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic Mesh jacket, opinions?
I have an jacket by shift same one reviewed here

images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://w...1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

long link, sorry for that; and thanks to any mod who can shrink it for me!

I love that jacket. It has vented leather sections on the back, arms and chest; but under the arms it has synthetic materials. When I take the liner out it keeps me cool on all but the hottest days. With the liner in it worked great right up until the snow fell in Seoul last winter. And let me tell you it gets bloody cold here!

I am looking for a full mesh jacket for the 35*C days here, but I am in no hurry.

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

More
28 Jun 2008 06:46 - 28 Jun 2008 09:03 #222654 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Mesh jacket, opinions?
Let's try This hardr0ck68

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
Last edit: 28 Jun 2008 09:03 by The Milkman.

More
28 Jun 2008 08:02 - 28 Jun 2008 08:05 #222665 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Mesh jacket, opinions?
I use an AlpineStar semi mesh jacket. Got it on sale for $159.00 about a year ago. Front is semi see thru mesh with same on inside of arms for air flow. Has armor at elbows and shoulders with a removable back padding. Air flows pretty well and does not feel bad at 100 degree temps on freeway. Little warm in town. Has a zip in liner to stop wind flow for cooler temps. Been very pleased with it so far..

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Jun 2008 08:05 by Bluemeanie.

More
28 Jun 2008 12:40 #222694 by Rich
Replied by Rich on topic Mesh jacket, opinions?
Thanks for the input, I ordered a Joe Rocket Phoenix after looking at a couple, I think it'll work. $139 out the door from newenough.com. Should have looked at their closeouts, they had some of last year's cheaper, but it's OK. I'm looking forward to giving it a try. I've been riding a lot lately.