opinions on z750 B2

More
03 Jun 2008 00:22 - 03 Jun 2008 00:23 #217557 by Marp68
opinions on z750 B2 was created by Marp68
Hi

I'm driving a kz650 B2. Even though I like the 650, because it's rather small and light, I can't really get used to the behavior of the 4 cylinder engine, since like most of the 4 cylinder bikes, it has weak bottom power. I also sometimes think that it's small engine is not enough to go on longer trips. Before I drove a Ducati Monster 900, and like all twins, it had this lovely bottom power. The bigger engine was also enough to go on longer trips. And of course, not to forget, the lovely sound...

Now there is a guy in the south of Sweden that wants to sell his z750 B2 -77 (image attached). The positive aspects for me is that it is a twin and 750 cc (more bottom power and bigger engine, the negative is that it seems to be rather heavy and big (heavy in the corners, etc).

Before I go down all the way to see the bike, I would be happy if owners (or not owners) of 750 B2 could give me more information on the bike. How it handles, feels, etc. Both objective and subjective information would be appreciated. Also comparison between the 650 B model and the 750 B2 model.

Thanks
Martin :-)

Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Jun 2008 00:23 by Marp68.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
03 Jun 2008 19:51 #217761 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic opinions on z750 B2
Marp68 wrote:

...I'm driving a kz650 B2....Now there is a guy in the south of Sweden that wants to sell his z750 B2...

Oh boy, *That* is a can of worms.

Yeah, the 750 is bigger... and slower... and has buckets more low-end torque. I don't know... I mean, *I* like it, but everything I ever read is always about how people think the 750 is a sad second to the other bikes of the era, especially the 650.

I'm with you though, I love that low-end twin feel. But do you want to give up that world-acclaimed, highly-rated, universally-loved, sewing-machine precision for a buzzy, bulky, slow twin? For me, the answer is, "Hell yeah." For most it is quite different, I would imagine...

By the way, I was cruising down the highway on the way to my mother's house the other day. I noticed that the "buzzing" comes in around 70mph/4500rpm... as soon as I got it up a bit higher to around 80mph, the buzzing reduced...

The bike in the pic sure is nice... for the right price, I'd do it... Hell, I'd do it anyway...

Look, it all comes down to this: it's a twin thing. Either you're a twin guy, or your not. It sounds like you kinda' are... Why not try both for a while?

B)

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
04 Jun 2008 08:02 #217838 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic opinions on z750 B2
I owned both.
They are both great bikes in different areas.
GET BOTH!

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
05 Jun 2008 07:30 #218074 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic opinions on z750 B2
Those 750's are tough/durable old brutes....and there is a thread on here about fuel mileage where one guy with a 750 twin reported around 70 or 80 miles per US gallon for his average on a daily ride basis. In these days of high fuel prices that's something else to factor into your decision.
Would I buy one ?? Probably not because I'm not a twin cylinder type of guy.....but a lot of other guys love 'em so it may work out great for YOU. If the price is right, why not give it a try ??

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

More
08 Jun 2008 10:20 #218723 by Marp68
Replied by Marp68 on topic opinions on z750 B2
Thanks for your feedback! I have also been looking at the Yamaha XS 650 model. It has the reputation of being durable and is a bit lighter and smaller, I think, than the kz750. It's still heavier than the z650, though, which I really like. It cuts the corner soooo well. But I also miss this bottom end power of the twin... What to do? Probably have them both.

This weekend I drove 150 km, with my girlfriend and two sadel bags and a tank bag. It was quite okej. I have already changed the front sprocket to 17T (factory 16T), which seems okej, so now will try and change the rear sprocket from 42 tot 40T. It will probably be okej for myself, but we'll see how it is with girlfriend and luggage...

Cheers
/m