Why do You Ride?

• Scrapper
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I Survived P.D. Fri .the 13th 2008 .
More
28 May 2008 07:24 - 28 May 2008 07:31 #216364 by Scrapper
Why do You Ride? was created by Scrapper
I was asked : "Doug," Why do you ride ? "I be scared of falling off or getting run over" , ( this has been said to me too many times to count,)
Now surfing the net , I found an answer , I think says the way I ve felt about riding since I started riding many MoOons ago
I m posting this for those who ask me WHY? and for your comments Yea, or Nah on the way you feel !
( kinda long But! says it nicely)
I ride because it is fun.

I ride because I enjoy the freedom I feel from being exposed to the elements, and the vulnerability to the danger that is intrinsic to riding.

I do not ride because it is fashionable to do so.

I ride my machine, not wear it. My machine is not a symbol of status. It exists simply for me, and me alone.

My machine is not a toy. It is an extension of my being, and I will treat it accordingly, with the same respect as I have for myself.

I strive to understand the inner-workings of my machine, from the most basic to the most complex.

I will learn everything I can about my machine, so that I am reliant upon no one but myself for its health and well being.

I strive to constantly better my skill of control over my machine. I will learn its limits, and use my skill to become one with my machine so that we may keep each other alive. I am the master, it is the servant. Working together in harmony, we will become an invincible team.

I do not fear death. I will, however, do all possible to avoid death prematurely. Fear is the enemy, not death. Fear on the highway leads to death, therefore I will not let fear be my master. I will master it.

My machines will outlive me. Therefore, they are my legacy. I will care for them for future bikers to cherish as I have cherished them, whoever they may be.

I do not ride to gain attention, respect, or fear from those that do NOT ride, nor do I wish to intimidate or annoy them. For those that do not know me, all I wish from them is to ignore me. For those that desire to know me, I will share with them the truth of myself, so that they might understand me and not fear others like me.

I will never be the aggressor on the highway. However, should others mess with me, their aggression will be dealt with in as severe manner as I can cast upon them.

I will show respect to other bikers more experienced or knowledgeable than I am. I will learn from them all I can. However, if my respect is not acknowledged or appreciated, it will end.

I will not show disrespect to other bikers less experienced or knowledgeable than I am. I will teach them what I can. However, if they show me disrespect, they will be slapped.

It will be my task to mentor new riders, that so desire, into the lifestyle of the biker, so that the breed shall continue. I shall instruct them, as I have been instructed by those before me. I shall preserve and honor traditions of bikers before me, and I will pass them on unaltered.

I will not judge other bikers on their choice of machine, their appearance, or their profession. I will judge them only on their conduct as bikers. I am proud of my accomplishments as a biker, though I will not flaunt them to others. If they ask, I will share them.

I will stand ready to help any other biker that truly needs my help.

I will never ask another biker to do for me what I can do for myself.

I am not a part-time biker. I am a biker when, and where ever I go. I am proud to be a biker, and hide my chosen lifestyle from no one. I ride because I love freedom, independence, and the movement of the ground beneath me. But most of all, I ride to better understand myself, my machine, the lands in which I ride, and to seek out and know other bikers like myself.

~Author Unknown~

Handle every situation like a dog,
If you can't eat it or hump it,
Piss on it and walk away!
Last edit: 28 May 2008 07:31 by Scrapper.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2008 09:00 #216374 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Why do You Ride?
because i can live more in a second at speed on a machine like mine than some people do in there entire lifeime.

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• Scrapper
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I Survived P.D. Fri .the 13th 2008 .
More
28 May 2008 10:44 #216392 by Scrapper
Replied by Scrapper on topic Why do You Ride?
To reply to my own post :::

It's an interesting question. I ran down the list and modified it to suit my outlook. Here's MY (and no-one else's) outlook on riding:

I ride because it's fun

I ride because when I'm on my motorcycle, I'm totally alert .

I ride because I love tinkering on and customizsing my motorcycles to my own tastes.

My motorcycle is a machine that facilitates my riding. It is neither a symbol or a legacy. Should it break or be superseded by a machine with superior abilities, it will be replaced. My family, friends, and other living beings come first because machines can be replaced, but lives cannot.

I enjoy learning the 'how' and 'why' of motorcycle design and maintenance. I hope that others will feel the same desire, but I understand if they don't.

I ride because motorcycles are morally superior to cars. Cars lie and tell you that you are an invincible, multi-ton metal monster. Motorcycles tell you that you are small, vulnerable, and life is easily lost. This is the truth of the human condition.

I strive to better my skills by testing myself and by reading materials that will help me be a better rider.

I will always try to keep my motorcycle in top condition, both to help make my riding safe and fun, and so I'm not a burden to other riders and the other people on the road.

I will never respond to aggression on the highway. To pit my motorcycle against a car or truck is a fool's game.

I will show respect to more experienced motorcyclists and try to learn from them, even if that respect is not returned. My respect is a reflection of MY character, in the same way that their lack of respect is a reflection of theirs.

I will show respect and try to help less experienced motorcyclist, but I will not try to force my views down their throats.

I will always stop and check on a motorcycle rider parked by the side of the road.

I will allow other riders to do things for me if they enjoy doing those things. If possible, I will ask them to teach me so I may come to enjoy those things as well.

I ride. But I will also respect the wishes and needs of my family and the people around me. Ultimately, my riding is not more important than my friends and family.

Handle every situation like a dog,
If you can't eat it or hump it,
Piss on it and walk away!

More
28 May 2008 11:46 #216408 by Beatpoet
Replied by Beatpoet on topic Why do You Ride?
I ride a motorcycle because I know it is the right thing to do.

It's a hell of a lot of fun too.

More
28 May 2008 12:46 #216419 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic Why do You Ride?
i ride because the rush of wind on your body is an unparalleled feeling.
I also feel safer with the wider field of view.

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

More
28 May 2008 15:50 #216468 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Why do You Ride?
Doug, good work on your personal version and sums up very well my thoughts on the matter. The first post seemed to veer off into a bit of pretentious attitude by the end and I don't much care for the term "biker".

I'm going to move this thread over to Bike Related to save it for posterity. Good post!

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
28 May 2008 19:35 - 28 May 2008 19:36 #216505 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Why do You Ride?
This really is your bestest post yet Doug, except for the one time you left us temporarily and then posted your return. ;) ;) ;)
Everyone ride safe and have a fun summer.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
Last edit: 28 May 2008 19:36 by The Milkman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
29 May 2008 08:52 #216584 by JohNLA
Replied by JohNLA on topic Why do You Ride?
"I ride because motorcycles are morally superior to cars. Cars lie and tell you that you are an invincible, multi-ton metal monster. Motorcycles tell you that you are small, vulnerable, and life is easily lost. This is the truth of the human condition."

It's not why I ride but
I love that:cheer:

Okay maybe I have felt a wee bit smug:P

s49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/JohNLA_photo/1983%20GPZ%20550/
83 GPZ 550 Stock with 3600 miles_83s.
83 GPZ 550 4-1,pods,Mikuni 36,000 + miles

More
29 May 2008 09:38 #216597 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Why do You Ride?
I also ride, because the bike uses less gas and takes up less space than the car. I lived in Asia for five years where there were mobs of scooters. It made sense to me.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
29 May 2008 17:05 #216651 by Mellvis
Replied by Mellvis on topic Why do You Ride?
I ride so that I can have tatoos and wear leather jackets, chaps, vest, boots, underwear, BIG belt buckles.....

No, realy I ride for the relaxation and peice of mind.

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
31 May 2008 21:21 #217034 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic Why do You Ride?
Amen to YOUR post, Scrapper. That pretty much sums it up for me, too.

and I don't much care for the term "biker".

NONB, I totally agree with your statement. Wayyyyy too many negative connotations with that term.
I prefer the term "rider" because "motorcyclist" has always struck me as...well, awkward, for want of a better description.
"Rider" says it all, IMO, and no on can possibly confuse me up with the horsey set, that's for sure.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My .02.....

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

• PFC FNG
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
More
31 May 2008 23:05 #217053 by PFC FNG
Replied by PFC FNG on topic Why do You Ride?
I ride cause it is something I enjoy that comes naturally. It is part of who I am.

:evil: Kinda like off roading in my truck

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi