A bit of work on the KZ1000P

More
23 May 2008 22:55 #215476 by Wizid
A bit of work on the KZ1000P was created by Wizid
I'm riding my 1995 KZ1000P across country (East to West) in July - then going to use it as my soul transport (pun intended) for the next 16+ months. I bought it in Feb with 52,000 miles on it from Hollywood Motors.

Anyways, the only issue I've had is the starter clutch got funky. So I took that apart and one of the springs had come out and was rattling around. I put it back to rights and carried on - oredered a rebuild kit that never came. So a couple weeks ago I ordered the parts from

www.powersedge.com

as well as new liners for the Fairing pockets (didn't come with any). The parts arrived a week later, which was perfect timing as the starter clutch was failing again.

That was an easy job. Takes about 25 minutes. I also took the opprotunity to install the pair of AC adapters that I'd bought for my trip cross country.

Now that I had liners for the pockets - with the help of a friend who does Install work on Emergency Response Vehicles (ie: he understands electrics) I decided to put one Adapter in either of the bags in the Fairing pockest with the wires going through one of the 2 drain holes in each bag. He found a constantly live wire in the fairing from the bike's Police days to tie them into.

With that worked out, and both working.. We also decided to wire the disconected lights on either side of the headlight into the Pursuit Switch so that I don't have to run the main headlight in the day time (as is the law in MA).

So now the bike is pretty well set up. I put a HID headlight into the bike a couple weeks ago and that works wicked at night.

Well thats about it. The bike's working really well now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2008 08:57 #215523 by z1rick
Replied by z1rick on topic A bit of work on the KZ1000P
Sounds great! Keep us informed on your ride, and how the bike holds up. When I bought mine from Hollywood, I had to clean out the tank and carbs, they don't keep very much gas in them so you get sediment. Oh, and install an inline filter, really helps. Ride safe.

Anaheim CA
1999 KZ 100P
1974 Z1 900 Project
1977 (2) KZ 650 projects

More
24 May 2008 21:24 #215631 by Wizid
Replied by Wizid on topic A bit of work on the KZ1000P
Hahahahaha.... *sigh*

More troubles with the starter clutch. Also the electricals are pretty hazy... signals don't work when the cell phone charger is plugged in... :blush: My fault... So I'll spend tomorrow sorting it out again. Second time's the charm.