It followed me home, honest!

More
23 May 2008 13:18 #215372 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic It followed me home, honest!
Damnnnn, I wish someone would give me a bike like that for free,,,,,,,,, way to go

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2008 19:11 #215436 by z1rick
Replied by z1rick on topic It followed me home, honest!
Darn Chris! Good score, now when Rose tells you that it has to go, I have plenty of room in my garage:P

Anaheim CA
1999 KZ 100P
1974 Z1 900 Project
1977 (2) KZ 650 projects

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
23 May 2008 20:21 #215450 by Grantl
Replied by Grantl on topic It followed me home, honest!
So Chris,
now you're impersonating The Gringo? Nice score--can't wait to see you ride up on her at one of our get togethers.
Grant.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
24 May 2008 07:06 - 24 May 2008 07:14 #215513 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic It followed me home, honest!
Oh yeah, I'm for sure going to be keeping this bike! :woohoo:

I slapped the seat on it (which BTW is in flawless condition!) and mounted the bike to get a feel for the riding posture.
Man, that took me back to when I owned my '84 ZX550 Gpz! (pictured below)

My ZN700 was also given to me, but in much worse condition and less complete. Most parts for my ZN are pretty scarce since they're model-specific, but all told I only have about $1K tied up into it. GPz parts aren't quite as scarce, so I figure it will take quite a bit less to restore this bike.

This GPz is already way ahead of how I recieved my ZN since the carbs have already been cleaned.
My friend said it started and run before the carb clean, but he was having electrical issues. I think he mentioned the ignitor as being suspect, but said he bought a couple off eBay that he'll be giving me. The carb cleaning was done since he left it sit so long pondering the supposed ignitor prob.

If the electrical issues aren't major ones (I stink at diagnosing/trouble shooting electrical:pinch: ), I could probably have this bike up and running in a day or two.
But I'd rather take my time on this bike and do everything right the first time (re-painting included), that way I'm not still working the "bugs" out later on.

I did promise Rose that I'd finish up the ZN (I need to tackle the oil leaks on the oil pan and bevel gear case, then re-install the carbs after adjusting the float levels) before I even touch this bike.

My friend and the guy he bought it from never registered the bike in their names, so I'll have some hoops to jump through there. But I went through the same on my ZN (no license plate or pink slip, and just a bill of sale), it it wasn't all that big of a hassle.
The hardest part was waiting the month for the appointment with the CHP for them to do a VIN verification on it to make sure that it wasn't reported stolen or had any outstanding citations on it.

Stay tuned guys/gals, I hope to be starting a "project" thread on this bike within a couple of months! :woohoo:

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 May 2008 07:14 by RetroRiceRocketRider.