Central and Nor Cal Rides. Headed that way, suggestions.

More
14 May 2008 00:39 - 14 May 2008 00:40 #213492 by Sweet Back
I am recently unemployed and looking to take a 4/5 day vacation. I want to ride from LA up the coast, through Central CAli and throught San Fran to the Redwoods. There are a couple of websites that show some routes, but I'm wonderin if anybody here has any suggestions from personal experience. Just looking for some fun roads, nothin crazy, nice views, wide open.

Anyone?

1996 KZ1000P

Last edit: 14 May 2008 00:40 by Sweet Back.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2008 16:45 - 14 May 2008 16:54 #213656 by apeman
The best route up the state is Route 1, from north of Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo up into SF. It is a well traveled route on weekends, but during the week you should be able to cruise along, even though it is not a limited access freeway. Pick up a copy of one of the many highway 1 travel guides at your local bookstore, and you will be able to pick out some of the many sites to see along the way. The area around Big Sur is particularly scenic.

When you get up to SF, there are plenty of places to ride around and check out the sites. I took one of our members on a SF motorcycle tour last year, along with his buddy, and we had a great time. (See the old thread here: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...imit=20&limitstart=0 . Be sure to look at the pictures toward the end.) I will try to post up some more information if I get a chance. Also, let me know when you will be up this way, and maybe we can meet up.

Do you plan on going only up into Marin County, around Muir Woods to see the redwoods, or are you planning on going further north into the "Lost Coast" area beyond Ft. Bragg and Mendicino? It is definately worth riding up that way, but I am not sure I would try to squeeze too many miles into a 4-5 day trip.

Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.
Last edit: 14 May 2008 16:54 by apeman.

More
14 May 2008 20:27 #213703 by WPBill
Google "Alice's Restaurant". Its in the hills btwn Santa Cruz and San Jose. Located at the junction of I think 4 curvy roads, its one of the centers of gravity for motorcycles in the area. On a Saturday or Sunday the parking lot is flooded with bikes.

You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever!

Kamakura JAPAN, 1975 Z1B (x2, both in storage)