78 Z1R Turbo

More
11 May 2008 11:01 #212809 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic 78 Z1R Turbo
The Z1R-TC's are appreciating in value. All original ones are difficult to find in good condition.

The carb was junk - that Bendix/Zenith carb is awful. I have an old ATP kit fitted on one of my bikes and I very quickly replaced the Zenith carb with a Mikuni HSR 42 flatslide - the bike now starts easily, and once warm can be crused around town without any major turbo lag / hesitation.

Kawasaki failed to do any engine work on the Z1R's before fitting the turbo, so cranks could twist and the stock cast pistons could be trashed all too easily.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2011 19:13 - 31 Aug 2011 19:29 #473337 by Turbogus
Replied by Turbogus on topic 78 Z1R Turbo

RonKZ650 wrote: po boy wrote:

10.9 second quarter....that's smokin' for 1978/79.

Also says something that yer average 600 cc sportbike is quicker than that now.

What gave y'all that have responded so far the low opinion of them?

Several things on mine. Mine only had 800 miles on it and was all stock. Some of my memories included replacing fouled plugs every time I rode it regardless of how the carb was set. Zenith carb was trash and fuel could not be drained, so stale gas was the norm after sitting a couple months. General aftermarket feel to the turbo, lots of lag, the way the throttle cables hooked up was a kluge at best, no way to ever get idle. :whistle: You may not believe this but 20 years ago when I was looking for parts (before there was internet widely being used if you can believe it) and I hooked up with a shop in PA. The guy on the phone asked if I was having any of the issues that you mentioned and when I responded yes, he hooked my up with a wider air filter, still K&N style. Since installing that puppy all rideability issues were addressed despite retaining the Zenith carb Absolutely no documentation on any of the motorcycle to help getting the turbo to actually work in a street environment. Worst part was the black Molly paintjob that was pretty dang ugly and very fragile. Actually Molly Graphics were appliques (decals) rather than paint, pity too as the PO of mine spilled fuel on the right side of the tank. As to the style, I reckon beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as for me I kinda liked those broad stripesI guess it used the same blinkers as the standard Z1R, if so they are black plastic and constantly come loose inside causing flopping signals which seemed cheap I addressed this with a little dab of Permatexlooking next to other chrome metal signals. Just little gripes that ruined it for me. I'm sure the turbo could be made to work, but the way it was stock didn't work well. If mine was not that black one, and had original 78 Z1R bodywork colors I probably would have had more interest in making it work. Supposedly Kawasaki only made a few hundred original silver ones, then the black ones were actually brand new silver paintwork repainted out in California. I've never to this day seen a factory Z1R-TC in original silver, but I've known at least 10 of the black ones just here in Denver alone, that seems awful strange if they only made a few hundred.

As far as crank twist was concerned even the manual advised against running higher boost pressures unless welding the crank and installing stiffer valve train springs, but it was in stock form that Eddie Lawson took one of these to 10.89 @138, not bad for a carburated, points bike. In fact it was disputed that it was the fastest production motorcycle on the planet (The dispute being the addition of the turbo by ATP) as told to me by one Oregon dealer there were 800 made 200 of which were the black w/Molly Graphics

Sure you can trust the Government.....
ask any indian
Last edit: 31 Aug 2011 19:29 by Turbogus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.