• Scrapper
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I Survived P.D. Fri .the 13th 2008 .
More
07 May 2008 19:03 #211955 by Scrapper
Windshields to be or not to be? was created by Scrapper
Copied and pasted from another forum

All windshields are not created equal.. this is a National Cycle clip, but there are differences it would appear...got it from another forum.
I guess the less expensive types would be good if it's only wind you want to stop.

Ride safe .. Scrap

Handle every situation like a dog,
If you can't eat it or hump it,
Piss on it and walk away!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2008 04:17 #211998 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Windshields to be or not to be?
Looks like polycarbonate is the winner, then. :)

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
08 May 2008 06:23 #212007 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Windshields to be or not to be?
Short of destroying a Windsheild I already have, how can I find out what material it is made of? :ohmy:

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
08 May 2008 06:52 #212014 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Windshields to be or not to be?

Lexan® Polycarbonate is the tough stuff for riders that demand the best. Lexan polycarbonate with FMR hardcoat provides unbeatable strength, superior optical quality, and outstanding scratch resistance. Lexan polycarbonate with our exclusive Quantum™ coating provides scratch resistance 10X better than FMR and twice the outdoor (UV) life. Hardcoated Lexan polycarbonate is the OEM motorcycle industry standard and was proudly developed for the motorcycle industry by National Cycle, Inc.

High Impact Acrylic is a step up from regular acrylic. High impact acrylic merges the crystal clarity of acrylic with an impressive impact resistance. A standardized plastic test (IZOD test) compared standard acrylic to high impact acrylic: Standard acrylic breaks at 1.5 foot-pounds, while high impact acrylic can withstand up to 8 foot-pounds. National Cycle uses the best material for each product design and price range.

Acrylic (which includes brand names such as ICI Lucite® and Acrylite®) is good when combined with our No-Hole Ballsocket™ mounting system. Acrylic is known for its crystal clarity that stands the test of time with UV stabilization that prevents yellowing. Many years ago, during the development of the clear fairing, National Cycle found that ordinary drill mounting methods caused stress cracks and eventual breakage with acrylic shields. That’s why we developed and use our patented No-Hole Ballsocket system on all of our acrylic products.

It seems that National Cycle uses all three kinds of plastic, the most expensive being the Lexan Polycarbonate, and the least expensive being the Acrylic.

I have used windshields off and on for a long time, never a top of the line expensive one, but middle of the line stuff, Slipstreamer and unknown brands, and I have never had one shatter (never had anyone shoot at me through the windshield though) or even crack.

If someone is shooting at me through the windshield, I don't believe I would be worrying about whether the windshield was going to shatter or just have holes punched in it, my concern would be over having holes punched in me :D

KD9JUR

More
08 May 2008 17:02 #212140 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Windshields to be or not to be?
Having looked at National Cycle's site, most of their models show High Impact Acrylic. Maybe they'll move more of their models to polycarbonate. I expected a larger range, I guess.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

• Limey
  • User
  • 3 Years in the U.K. - Brought the KZ with me!
More
09 May 2008 06:21 #212270 by Limey
Replied by Limey on topic Windshields to be or not to be?
Hmmm......

The tester guy is a switch hitter! Makes you wonder if both shields got the same treatment! :unsure:

Eric
Newmarket, England (for 3 years)
Pentwater, Michighan (Home)
1978 KZ650
2000 ZG1000
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650