Just want to make a small survey...

More
07 May 2008 06:50 #211743 by adri4n
Just want to make a small survey... was created by adri4n
I just want to make a small survey about how much people have spent or are still spending on restoring their kz's. I'm from australia and I have a z500, I'm torn between restoring it and selling it and spending the money on either a car or maybe a newer motorcycle. i love my kz but as I'm still a uni student, I need to make a decision that won't tie me up financially as well. I would love to hear what you guys think. heres a pic of my z500.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2008 06:56 - 07 May 2008 06:58 #211744 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Just want to make a small survey...
Nice bike...we never got the Z500 in North America...if you have disposable funds, then keep the 500...if you require reliable, carefree, efficient transportation for the next several years, then buy a new bike...but remember, once bitten by the Kawasaki bug, there is no cure and you'll rue the day that you sold your Z:)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Last edit: 07 May 2008 06:58 by Mcdroid.

More
07 May 2008 08:38 #211771 by po boy
Replied by po boy on topic Just want to make a small survey...
Mcdroid wrote:

...but remember, once bitten by the MOTORCYCLE bug, there is no cure and you'll rue the day that you sold your Z:)

There. Fixed it for ya.

1980 KZ750E1
2002 Hayabusa

More
07 May 2008 08:42 #211773 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Just want to make a small survey...
Just be realistic. I know I cannot do without a car/truck. I just can't. The motorcycles are luxuries. As for restore it and how much can and will go into it you have to also answer that. How available are replacement parts for it? There are a few models here that things like gaskets are getting scarce. Seems funny but supply and demand will demand a premium for those hard to get items. As for making it reliable again I'm not familiar with the model but generally if you do it right I believe these older steeds will carry you far and reliably. Price for fixing one up as opposed to a new one here seems to favor the fixer upper. Plus insurance and peace of mind for not leaving a somewhat portable $10,000 machine unattended. Seems you have all the info to make your own decision. Nice looking bike!!B)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

• Gosling1
  • User
  • Whats behind you is not important
More
07 May 2008 09:21 #211781 by Gosling1
Replied by Gosling1 on topic Just want to make a small survey...
I vote be realistic, realistic as in if you decide to get ride of the Z, you better be trading it in on a 76 Ford Faclon GT. IT would only be right.

Just my .02
Brandon

1983 KZ1100A Shaftee box stock.
A herd of Bultacos to play in the dirt with. Arvada, Colorado
Kick it in the guts Berry

More
07 May 2008 09:29 #211783 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Just want to make a small survey...
the best suggestion is to make a list of what the bike needs and the cost of the parts/reapairs you want to do, and also list them as to how important they are, kind of a what needs to be done first list.
Then look at the cost of a new ride,

Then the hard part, look in the mirror and say do I really want to sell the bike

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
07 May 2008 17:10 - 07 May 2008 17:11 #211923 by adri4n
Replied by adri4n on topic Just want to make a small survey...
haha, you guys certainly don't make it easy for people to get rid of their kz's I've done some work on the bike: carbs balanced and cleaned, valves reshimmed, new cables, new horn and bled the brakes and finally managed to fix the oil leaks, not it just oozes a little... and got some people to help with it (for a fee) and I daresay its rather reliable now, I'm using it as a daily rider, there are some issues with the engine that certainly need to be resolved if I do decide to go for a restoration. one of my major gripes is that the engine is not perfect cosmetically, (there is one chip on one of the fins?) and one of the carbs is missing the extension for the drain line to be attached so I can't put a tube on it.

The thing is I can do simple repairs myself but would probably need help if I were to do a full restore and that would push the cost up. In an ideal world I would keep the bike AND get a car but I don't know if thats possible. I guess if I were to chance across a dirt cheap parts bike or engine that I could swap that would be perfect.
Last edit: 07 May 2008 17:11 by adri4n.

More
07 May 2008 17:33 - 07 May 2008 17:34 #211932 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Just want to make a small survey...
A lot of people here won't agree, but I think the only Kawasaki's worth restoring would be the ones you get your money back on, and I think that narrows it down to 2-3 models. The original first year H1, H2 and Z1.

If the bike runs good, looks good, then keep up with the maintenance and ride the wheels off it.

If you can afford to keep the bike and insurance/tags go ahead. If you need reliable transportation go for something newer.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles
Last edit: 07 May 2008 17:34 by OKC_Kent.

More
07 May 2008 18:55 #211950 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Just want to make a small survey...
I guess it really boils down to what you mean by "restore". In some circles that word means make it completely as it was the day it rolled out of the dealership. That means hard to find New Old Stock part, reproductions won't do, nor will repainting. If that is your intent, it is usually a costly proposition particularly for models of low production runs (I don't know if there were as many Z500 models made as Z650, for example).

Many of us are satisfied making a reliable rider that's clean and gives us a classically styled motorcycle that is not available in the OEM market right now. To be honest, I've not kept track or tallied what I've spent on either 650. I just bought parts as finances and time allowed and spread it out over the period of a couple of years each. I had the advantage of not having to rely on them for my sole means of transportation.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
08 May 2008 07:23 #212019 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic Just want to make a small survey...
Well, adri4n, I vote to keep the Z500. Do as suggested by many and fix the old girl up as and when necessary. Of course do your preventative maintenance as you go along and you'll have a nice dependable daily rider. Not a 100 point resto....just a nice daily rider. I believe yours has electronic ignition so that's one major worry out of the way about cleaning/setting/timing points. The other possible problems are: 1)checking/shimming valve clearances which should be done every 5,000 miles or so and 2) that pesky cam chain tensioner that needs looking at every month or so to make sure the cam chain is suitably tensioned.
The rest is all just normal things: oil and filter changes, air filter changes, drive chain lubing and adjusting, etc.
With proper maintenance there's no reason why the old girl wouldn't see you through to graduation.
One last word of advice: drive the bike as often as possible, ideally at least daily. Old bikes do NOT like to be left sitting for days on end. They get cranky and then all kinds of problems crop up with starting, etc.
My +.02 worth....:)

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

More
08 May 2008 08:42 #212030 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Just want to make a small survey...
yeah that is a neat looking little bike youve got there,other than the rubber things on fork legs!:laugh: anyway id keep it and fix it up as you go along and ride the wheels off of it!B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
08 May 2008 10:11 #212043 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Just want to make a small survey...
Thats a real nice looking bike you got there.

When I bought my 750 a few years ago it cost money (about $1000) the first year to get it safe and reliable. Things like tires, chain and lights and I think I got all the gremlins out of it that year. Other than that expenditure is just routine maintainence costs. I could spend a fortune on it if I really wanted to get it into show condition but I prefer to spend the time riding it :)

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust