I'm really digging that old 1980 KZ750 I bought a few months back

More
03 May 2008 18:41 #210956 by po boy
Man, what a sweet running little bike. :)

Thought it had some carb issues, but after running it a bit, the hesitation and whatnots cleared itself up.

It's so much more of an elemental bike than the Busa. 60 mph on it feels like 100 on the bigger bike. No wind protection.

But it doesn't feel like an old bike. It stops good with disc front and rear, doesn't wobble at all at any speed, and feels so small between the knees. I've flushed the brakes and put hose clamps on the breathers and a bunch of other little stuff, and damn it's cherry to me

Sounds even sweeter now that I finally got the baffle out that old Mac pipe.

Rode 100+ miles today and used barely over two gallons of gas.....and I was wringing it's neck pretty good listening to that pipe sing.

Don't mistake, I won't be getting rid of the Busa anytime soon. I love that thing too.
But all it takes to make me really happy is two wheels and an engine.

Hell, I could have a blast on a Ninja 250 if that's all I had. When I was a dealer mechanic, I'd rather have gotten to service and ride one of those over a lowered/piped/screwed up p.o.s. sportbike anyday.

I'm gonna ride the piss out this thing this summer. Specially now that love bug seasons upon us here in the southeast. Busa is to way hard to keep clean when that scourge comes back around bi-yearly.

Keeps me from riding period.

Gotta look into getting some tearoffs though.....:angry:

Be glad ya ain't gots ta smell 'em! :S

1980 KZ750E1
2002 Hayabusa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2008 19:19 #210968 by N0NB
Looking sharp!

Good to see that you're doing your part to control the insect population. :D

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
04 May 2008 17:05 #211143 by JR
Nice ride you got there. Here's the red version. Warts and all. Same Mac pipes and can but I leave the baffle in. I agree, elemental is a great description. Wind in your face, maybe a slight vibration. Definitley not like riding in a modern bubble. Solid running bulletproof motor just purring at 60 - 70mph. I know every sound and rattle in mine. Really the essence of motorcycling. Being in tune with what you ride and wrench on. Now. If I could just get rid of that ding in the tank and maybe clean the motor..........

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Attachments:

More
04 May 2008 19:37 #211169 by po boy
JR wrote:

Now. If I could just get rid of that ding in the tank and maybe clean the motor..........

Nahh...just ride the thing!!;)

1980 KZ750E1
2002 Hayabusa

More
04 May 2008 19:39 - 04 May 2008 19:45 #211172 by po boy
Holy crap what a screwed up day this turned out to be.....almost!!

Warmed the bike up around noon to change the oil and while it was idling I noticed some smoke around the headlight pod and could smell it was wire burning.

The numb-nut in Arkansas that was gonna make a cafe racer out it butchered the dash wiring to add some crappy little aftermarket gauges. A hot wire shorted out and burned itself all the way down the wiring loom, coming a withing a cunts hair of totaling the whole harness. Luckily, it only burned thru one nearby wire in one spot. Had to strip the harness all the way back, check each wire, and tape it all back up. Then I had to get the hi-beam working....cut a bulb socket out a old junk car my neighbor had. Had to figure out the turn signals.

Stupid sucker had the headlight almost completely upside down in it's housing.

Vacume hose for the petcock was burning in half (wrong type hose).

The pilot screws were waaaay out of whack.

Spent six hours working on just the electrics.....

Had some kind of whacked up "B8EV" spark plugs in it. Put the correct B8ESes in it and I could tell a difference as soon as I cranked it.

Got back after a shake down run and I see one of the spark plug caps is arcing to the head. That'll be an easy fix tomorrow.

Good thing I didn't have to pay someone else to go thru this thing....

Everytime I work on and ride it, it gets a little stronger.

I was gonna look for a set of stock gauges, but it'd be a nightmare getting all that wiring sorted out.

1980 KZ750E1
2002 Hayabusa
Last edit: 04 May 2008 19:45 by po boy.

More
04 May 2008 21:35 #211206 by Beatpoet
It's good to breathe life into these good ol' machines!

More
05 May 2008 00:05 #211233 by WPBill
Nice!
Had one of those back in Japan. Sure are sweet handling machines.
Almost drove itself on curvy roads.

You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever!

Kamakura JAPAN, 1975 Z1B (x2, both in storage)

More
05 May 2008 12:03 #211366 by apeman
The KZ750e is a great bike. I have the silver version. Of course, I never ride it because my 23 year old son rides it all the time. He only comes over when it needs something fixed or adjusted. That's ok, since I use my KZ750H LTD as my daily rider, and it runs perfectly, with a great sound from the 4 into 1 Kerker. I am convinced that the KZ750 four cylinder bikes are perfect for urban freeway/bridge and city commuting. Great power, agile through traffic, super reliable, and 45+ mpg.

Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
06 May 2008 15:33 #211617 by CoreyClough
Yes, now that's what I'm talking about!!! :woohoo:

Oh Hi Apeman. Congrats on the Mod Position.B)

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
06 May 2008 18:23 #211652 by JR
Looks like anyone who posts after a Mod becomes a Mod :laugh:

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
06 May 2008 19:24 #211676 by po boy
Fortunately for the bike (and unfortunately for my wallet), I like everything that was on my bikes from the factory to be on the bike, unless it runs better without some part, like the PAIR system on my Busa, etc.

I'm now in the process of jetting the carbs, looking at replacing the fork seals, fixing the missing steering stop, finding the headlight adjuster parts, and on and on it goes.

It never stops.

Guess that's part of the fun though isn't it.

:woohoo:

1980 KZ750E1
2002 Hayabusa