2000 model ZRX1100

More
27 Apr 2008 22:17 #209682 by Six9GS
2000 model ZRX1100 was created by Six9GS
Hey All,
My 78 KZ650 is in the process of getting back on the road (again). But, it looks like it's going to be down for a month or more. In the mean time, I have for my use a 2000 model ZRX1100. Nice bike for the most part. Wanted to know you guy's experience, advice and opinion about it. It is so much like the old KZ models. The situation on this bike is that I could buy it from the guy who owns it. It's a spare bike for him and he's not really into it anymore (he's into the streetracer style now (yuck), at least his new ride is also a kawasaki).
If I did buy it, some things I'd have to change and some I'd like to. Would also appreciate feedback on these ideas.
1. HAVE TO get some handlebar risers. Not an option! The stock location is in a very uncomfortable position for me. I'm wondering about electrical cables and hydraulic brake line lengths.
2. It would be nice to get a more normal sized faring. More of a cruiser size than street bike size. Haven't seen any for this bike.
3. Would want to drop the butt down a couple of inches. It looks like a semi-croutch rocket style now. Would like to get a normal street bike profile on the rear.
4. Would like to get a more normal (vintage) exhaust on it. Current muffler, swings up high in the rear. I much prefer the lower exhaust.
5. I'd like to get lower passenger pegs. If I take my wife for a ride, it would be much more comfortable for her if her foot pegs were lower.

Other than those things, this bike is pretty cool. Definitely faster and quicker than I normally ride. I've romped on it a couple of times, not as hard as it could be romped, and, it was how should I say this "exilerating" (holy bat guana this bike's quick!).

Anyway, sorry foe the long post and thanks for any feedback.

Terry!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2008 01:40 #209696 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic 2000 model ZRX1100
Hello Terry...folks generally love the ZRX's but if you haven't done so already, get up on the ZRX Owners Group site (google it) and look at the options for changing the bike...what changes are possible have been made by those people:)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
28 Apr 2008 03:30 - 28 Apr 2008 03:30 #209699 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic 2000 model ZRX1100
ZRZ is the modern version of the Eddie Lawson Replica. IMHO pliiz do not put a cruiser fairin in it, pliiz do not lower the rear "a couple of inches":( It´s a racing replica, a naked streetfighter, not a family cruiser. ELR and ZRX RuleZB)

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...
Last edit: 28 Apr 2008 03:30 by Z1109R Fin.

More
28 Apr 2008 10:32 #209796 by Six9GS
Replied by Six9GS on topic 2000 model ZRX1100
Thanks for the feedback. Didn't know about the ZRX Owner's group. I'll look it up as soon as I can.
As for my proposed mods. I understand the displeasure those changes would create in some people. It is a style thing. If I end up with this bike, which I'm sort of hoping to. One of the BIG things is that this is a bike I can get into. I'm "credit ratings challenged" and it looks like the stars are aligning themselves just right for me to get this bike. Perhaps if I had more bike choices, I might choose a different bike. However, that's not my reality. So, if I do get this bike, I want to change it to suit me and my desires. I'm into what I like to call a regular naked motocycle. Not a cruiser, or croutch rocket style. I like having my feet on pegs underneath my body, not significantly behind or in front of me. I also like a break from the wind, as in a crusier sized faring. I can see how some people would think making those changes might ruin what this bike is. I do respect that opinion and I do understand that. But, it is I that will be riding it and I want and should make it suite my needs and desires.
My 78 KZ650 is very very stock and many others have modified these bikes with farings and bags and such. others have modified them into croutch rocket demons and even full blown choppers. To each his own. The marvel of these is the flexability of being able to take these bikes in so many different directions with natural ease. Some people may make a croutch rocket out of a Honda Gold wing, But, that's not a natural easy modification and the result is something in left field (btw, I do know a guy with a Goldwinf Croutch rocket!). The Kawasaki's we deal with here don't have such limitations.

Hope all are having a wonderful day!!
Terry!

More
28 Apr 2008 13:24 - 28 Apr 2008 13:24 #209825 by JohNLA
Replied by JohNLA on topic 2000 model ZRX1100
When I read your post I was in agreement with Fin but only because street fighters are my personal cup of tea.
Your right, if you do get it make it your own. Otherwise, you won't ride it and it will cry at night when your sleeping and get all old and rusty.

s49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/JohNLA_photo/1983%20GPZ%20550/
83 GPZ 550 Stock with 3600 miles_83s.
83 GPZ 550 4-1,pods,Mikuni 36,000 + miles
Last edit: 28 Apr 2008 13:24 by JohNLA.

More
28 Apr 2008 16:28 #209873 by Hawk1
Replied by Hawk1 on topic 2000 model ZRX1100
Im owner of ZRX1200S so best place to look at for ZRX owners....Everthing you need to know.

www.zrxoa.org/forums/

:)

Hawk1

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
28 Apr 2008 19:40 #209914 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic 2000 model ZRX1100
If it had have been available in North America, I'm pretty sure I'd have bought a ZRX1200S instead of my 1200 Bandit S. The ZRX1200S is a definitely cool bike, IMO, and from all reports offers quite good wind protection. I'm not sure if they made an S version of the 1100 but if so, you may be able to get the fairing and bits from somewhere in the UK or Germany or France as spare parts. If there was no 1100S version then maybe, just maybe, the 1200S fairing will fit the 1100 frame/tank/forks setup. I'm sure some of the guys on the forums listed in earlier posts above would know all these details.
I hope it works out for you with buying the ZRX1100
.....however I vote with some of the posters as to how far is too far on changes...but it will be your bux and your bike so you gotta do it your way. As a famous customizer said after hearing two goofs deriding his latest creation at the unveiling:
"Don't like my bike ??? Well, I didn't build it for you, a-hole!!!"
I thought that was a pretty fair comment.:laugh:

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.