Looking for advice...

More
26 Apr 2008 11:03 - 27 Apr 2008 07:32 #209244 by rdgrnr
Looking for advice... was created by rdgrnr
Hey all,
I bought a 4 y/o single place tilting "Sled Bed" for $250 that I am converting to a bike trailer.
I'm going to replace the 14" wheels with 12's, and adding front wheel chocks. I can fit 2 bikes on this with some careful planning, but the advice I need is what size chocks do I use? What brands are the most reliable? I have seen some Pingels on ebay that seem to be of good quality, but I don't wanna make the purchase w/o some advice on this.
Thanks
...anyone?

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
78 GL1000 Naked Wing Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN
Last edit: 27 Apr 2008 07:32 by rdgrnr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2008 07:33 #209440 by rdgrnr
Replied by rdgrnr on topic Looking for advice...
any advice?:unsure:

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
27 Apr 2008 11:57 #209525 by ran429
Replied by ran429 on topic Looking for advice...
Chocks or Shocks?

More
27 Apr 2008 12:48 #209544 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Looking for advice...
I don't know if they are the same but I bought some chocks from www.schnitzracing.com . The ones I bought have a mounting kit that bolts to the trailer and you can take the upper chock off the trailer if needed. That way you can use it for anything else you might need to. I bought a couple extra mounting kits and placed them so I can place the tire mount wherever I want so I can haul one bike in the middle or two side by side so I can distribute the weight better. I had one of the trailers you are talking about and it's best to keep weight centered. Doesn't take much for a small trailer like that to get weird towing down the road if the weight is all on one side.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
27 Apr 2008 14:22 #209563 by rdgrnr
Replied by rdgrnr on topic Looking for advice...
racer54 wrote:

I don't know if they are the same but I bought some chocks from www.schnitzracing.com . The ones I bought have a mounting kit that bolts to the trailer and you can take the upper chock off the trailer if needed. That way you can use it for anything else you might need to. I bought a couple extra mounting kits and placed them so I can place the tire mount wherever I want so I can haul one bike in the middle or two side by side so I can distribute the weight better. I had one of the trailers you are talking about and it's best to keep weight centered. Doesn't take much for a small trailer like that to get weird towing down the road if the weight is all on one side.

I looked at the trailer closer and I see there is 12" wheels on there now, so I am switching them to 8" to lower the trailer. The 12's work good for loading and unloading a snowmobile, but at that height, it's hell on a bike to get the bed to tip back down:side: :silly: :(
I did some more research on the chocks, and it looks like I am going to go with the Pingel 6 1/2". That way, I can haul the smaller bikes as well as the ones with wider tires.:)
Definately good idea to center the bike, as you are right about the trailer getting weird while towing.
I thought about getting a 2-place, but I am mainly going to use it for picking up those "hard to turn down" projects.:laugh:
Thanks

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN