How to articles for everyone posted somewhere would be really a great reference tool.

• saxjonz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KawboyZ
More
23 Apr 2008 08:12 #208445 by saxjonz
I have seen several posts for the same ideas many times on this site. I think that the post on rusty tanks, valve clearances and the others are a great resource.
I know people swap out so many different parts it would be a great reference and many would be indebted to those who are in the know to post a permanent closed post on a few how tos.
One example: There could be a list of swing arm conversions listing all of the popular swaps and then the variations of mods that would be required to make that swap.
A post on how to polish aluminum with the advice on how to properly do it so that it looks like chrome. If and when I learn how to do it right I would gladly post for everyone to see.
How about a page for wheels that swap right out and a list of those that work with little mods?
I see posts about carbs and jetting; perhaps a link to information would be fabulous if not a list on this site.
Someone could post about their experiences with engines and the qualities and weaknesses that each variation pose. Or even a post to a link that contains information or a place to look to start researching.
I went to a bike shop the other day thinking that I knew about what I wanted to do to my bike and when I got there I became totally not sure about what to do after I left. This guy showed me his bikes- kz1000-1400 street. His turbo hayabusa. A bike that he claimed was a kz1000 that looked like Frankenbike. Totally modified which I am sure makes some people happy. But when I mentioned what a few other people had told me about a good way to go he stated all the facts about the build and told me about all of the positives and negatives which was great but just ruined my vision of what I thought would be a great build. This guy was totally cool and in the know about a lot of things as kzs are his method of choice. I know there have to be a lot of people who are willing to share their experiences pros and cons concerning modifying their bikes and I know I would be extremely grateful for any and all information I could cull from this experience. Everyone who is going through this experience could gain much from those willing to share.
Thanks in advance for all information that would possibly be posted.
Sincerely
SaxJonz

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2008 22:47 #208899 by steell
Under the "KZ Information" tab at the top of the page is a "Filebase" section, and a "Articles" section. Under the "Home" tab is a "Tutorials" section.

Lots of stuff there written by members and others, and I'm sure that any you wish to contribute would be welcome.

This place is just like real life, the members are the real source of knowledge, the old timers pass it on to the new folks, who in turn become the resident experts and pass it on. :)

KD9JUR

• saxjonz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KawboyZ
More
25 Apr 2008 07:07 #208954 by saxjonz
Wonderful. This is a great place for a dying breed of so called dinosaurs. I will never get rid of my dinosaurs I rather like them.
It is really great that there are a lot of people here that have years of experience with these bikes. I feel much respect for many that I have talked to.
I have read from bottom to top when I got on this site and looking for answers and I had an idea that, perhaps, if a lot of the questions that were asked many times were organized in to a format that was a list of sorts it might make searching for information a little easier and then if not listed then asked from the members. The biggest question I had was about engine sizes and what is streetable and what the characteristics of those combinations were and some of the better combinations. I have heard the gamut from good to bad about many different combinations. So for me with absolutely no experience on engine building I can only go by what I have heard which is not necessarily bad or good just confusing. I just wonder what the best combination for the street would be weighing it all out. I know there are trade offs and about the whole overheating issues with big block engines but where I lose it is the information that I hear that a low compression big block is better than a highly modified small block say 1075 with a lot of head work. If you work the smaller one really hard to get the same out of the big block which is not working hard. What would be the real difference? This is where I am totally lost and need to figure this out. I guess I could just build the bottom end strong to accomodate the big block and just go small first and experiment but I was thinking of saving money and time and the bigger of the three the whole frustration factor of having problems with the bike that are time consuming to fix.
On a side note. I am learning about the whole polishing thing. I am not sure that a lot of people are in to the whole polishing thing as none that I have known have ever done it to their covers. I think perhaps some would be interested. But WOW! what a difference the polishing makes in the look of the bike. Once I get mine done and take pictures that look fabulous perhaps there might be others interested in doing their own.

79 LTD B3

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
25 Apr 2008 07:37 #208962 by H2RICK
In my somewhat limited experience with modified engines, there is no easy cut and dried path to performance increases. There is ALWAYS a tuning curve to be gone through, no matter what, even if only the displacement is increased. Depending on the amount of increase, you can sometimes get away with just a jetting change....or, at the far end of the scale, you will end up having to increase carb size AND jet size together to get the most out of your investment. Hotter cams and/or head work will also increase the tuning complexities. What altitude you ride at also changes things, especially if you ride above ~2500 feet ASL if you expect to get your money's worth out of your mods.
I'm sure the gurus on this board can tell you lotsa war stories about how they got to "tuning nirvana" with their particular setup.....but even at that, your "tuning mileage" may vary compared to theirs.
My .02....

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

• saxjonz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KawboyZ
More
26 Apr 2008 00:52 #209178 by saxjonz
Well, I have a while to go to worry about the engine stuff I guess. I will completely strip the bike and powder coat all metal that is painted and polish all aluminum to look like chrome and then the nuts and bolts at the same time find a combo that will really work well and start buying the pieces for the moment when I can get the engine together. There is just so much to do and nothing seemingly that I really have any real experience with. It would be great to read a book like The idiot's guide to building a streetable kz... lol until that day I need to see with my own eyes and ask questions like a total newb that I am.

79 LTD B3

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
26 Apr 2008 04:15 - 26 Apr 2008 07:45 #209185 by The Gringo
I'm not about to try and get into the engine building debate. But since you are looking to polish up your aluminium bits you might want to check out this thread. Polishing Fork Lowers

It is about doing the fork lowers but the polishing advice applies to most anything else as well.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special
Last edit: 26 Apr 2008 07:45 by KZQ.