Ran over by the Police

• Becker
  • User
  • The Doctor Will Rise Again
More
14 Apr 2008 09:57 #206380 by Becker
Replied by Becker on topic Ran over by the Police
If I were you I would definitely consult a lawyer. Just find out what your options are and then go in and talk to them like your supposed to. If they give you what you want and rightfully deserve then good if not let them know that you already talked to a lawyer about this and are fully aware of your rights. I'm sure they will change their tune really quick. Where I'm from the cops will try to tuck up really close behind your semi so that they can tag someone with their radar when they least expect it. They will ride directly behind you for miles at a time and you can't see them at all. One of my neighbors had a little run in with a cop about an accident that some highschooler scratch up his car really bad and because of a poor investigation he didn't get paid. So when the cop tucked up behind him he let it go for the first 2 miles and then decided enough was enough. He took off his cap and tossed it out the window and immediatley slammed on the brakes. The cop saw the cap go past and slammed right into the back of the semi. Now I'm not advocating what he did and I thing he should have pratciced more self restrain but I am glad that I don't have to worry about the cops tucking in like they used to when I'm driving truck now. Oh, and by the way the cop try to pin it all on him with reckless driving (It was) but eventually he got out of it and got paid for the dmage caused to is truck. He's just lucky no one got hurt.

78 KZ750B3
79 KZ400 LTD
78 KZ650C2
79 KZ650C3
78 KZ650B2A
80 KZ650F1
80 KZ650E1
81 CB750K Super Sport

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2008 11:31 #206417 by Gidian9
Replied by Gidian9 on topic Ran over by the Police
Thanks for the advise all, a friend of mine used to work for a bull dog lawyer and I'm about to give him a call and see whats up. I probably wont be able to get the bike to the shop for another day or so but I'll let you all know what happens.

KZ440 LTD

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
14 Apr 2008 18:33 #206510 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic Ran over by the Police
Good thing you escaped with what APPEAR to be minor injuries to you and your bike.
One major thing to remember when dealing with cops, city government and "insurance":
MOST jurisdictions are self-insured when it comes to police departments. No insurance underwriter in his right mind will insure a bunch of testosterone-loaded alpha males driving high-powered modern vehicles with weapons involved. Insurance companies are smarter than that.
Soooo......you will be dealing with a bunch of bureacrats at city hall in your attempt to get justice.....and they want to pay you as little as possible.
Consult with a lawyer BEFORE talking to the city hall bureaucrats....and DON'T sign anything UNTIL your lawyer says it's okay.
As to your injuries: Don't be too hasty about how little they will affect you. Stuff can come back to haunt you years later. Will the city government or police department then pick up your medical tab to fix/alleviate your problem ?? I think we all know the answer to that one.
You want to think this over very carefully before you let them off the hook on this whole thing.

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

More
14 Apr 2008 19:48 #206528 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Ran over by the Police
H2RICK wrote:

As to your injuries: Don't be too hasty about how little they will affect you. Stuff can come back to haunt you years later quote]

there is just so much truth in that statement.

when i was 18, a car full of a$$holes jumped the curb and hit me in my back with a baseball bat.
they fractured two Vertebra.
now, 20 years later, i still have back problums because of it.
consult a lawer

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
14 Apr 2008 21:12 - 20 Dec 2011 04:09 #206559 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic a
a

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2011 04:09 by KZ250LTD.

More
14 Apr 2008 21:38 #206564 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Ran over by the Police
KZ250LTD wrote:

Ever find them? :angry:[/quote]

if i did, i would just be getting paroled.
them jack-offs got a few people that night.

like i said, get a lawyer.
i'm not one just looking to sue and make a quick payday, i hate poeple who abuse the system like that but there could be underlying issues.
i'm sure you have a family to think about.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
15 Apr 2008 08:29 #206650 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Ran over by the Police
KZ250LTD wrote:

kawsakiman wrote:

when i was 18, a car full of a$$holes jumped the curb and hit me in my back with a baseball bat.
they fractured two Vertebra.

Ever find them? :angry:

That's why I'm still looking for some way to carry my 9mm under my jacket in a way that won't eat me up if I go down. I'm just getting to old to take on more than two at once without a weapon :(

I may have to get something smaller, like a .32 or a .25 :(

KD9JUR

More
15 Apr 2008 08:31 - 07 Feb 2013 03:07 #206652 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic .

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2013 03:07 by KZ250LTD.

More
15 Apr 2008 14:30 #206720 by Wildh2oskier
Replied by Wildh2oskier on topic Ran over by the Police
steell wrote:

KZ250LTD wrote:

kawsakiman wrote:

I may have to get something smaller, like a .32 or a .25 :(

A hammerless 38 snubbie fits in the smallest of places.

More
06 May 2008 03:36 #211520 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Ran over by the Police
So, What is happening in Memphis? Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
02 Oct 2008 18:58 #239865 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Ran over by the Police
Please fill us in on this post. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
02 Oct 2008 19:19 #239870 by zombiescustoms
Replied by zombiescustoms on topic Ran over by the Police
I used to be a claim rep for an ins co, and have gone through the totaled vehicle situation a few tims, the best thing is to let them total it and then buy it back for the salvage value, usually pennys on the dollar, my wife wrecked a brand new 30000 sports car and it was totaled with 25000 worth of damage according to the estimate, long stoy short we owed 20k it was worth 28k, the ins. co gave us book on it, sowe ended up with around 8k, i called the ins co and asked them what the salvage value was ...$1350.00, asked tem what I could buy it for, $1350.00, ended up buying it back and selling it on ebay to a guy in Sweden of all places for $10,200, you do the math!!
yes thats 18200 from a totaled car!!! sometimes it pays to let them total them!

1979 KZ1000 drag/street fighter
1015cc stock internals for now, 39 flattys, GSXR frontend, ZX9 rear wheel with 6 over chromoly arm, just a budget beater!