Simple Amazing

More
07 Apr 2008 05:57 - 07 Apr 2008 06:00 #204725 by rdgrnr
Simple Amazing was created by rdgrnr
Being relatively new to the KZ mindset, it simply amazes me to what lengths we will go to make these look as nice as we can.
A couple of weeks ago, I had decided to part with my 79 1000 Ltd (in buckets and boxes). I posted it here first to give anyone needing anything before I sent the stuff off to ebay. Well, a few of you have asked and puchased, and for that I thank you.
Now here is the amazing part: I had some of the pieces, to what I had considered an ordinary looking KZ1000, show chromed. I worked at a plating shop, so this was relatively easy for me to have done. As I took the 1000 apart last summer, I would look at a part and think that it would look much better without the cast marks, and maybe round a few corners to make it different than what someone else has on their bike. So I did all the work (at work :) ), and co-workers would ask me why I was being so picky on a motorcycle part. The answer was simple...Beacuse it's mine. I knew then that I was addicted. Okay, I digress..
I listed them on ebay this weekend, and people have been going crazy in the bidding.
I never thought anyone would pay that much for show chrome. My thinking is that there is just not that much out there for show chrome on these old KZ's, or any makes for that matter. I know there are many of you here that have been involved with these bikes more than I have. Is show chrome that highly sought after? I know it is in the collector car market as I have seen thousands upon thousands of bumpers come through the shop. I guess I never really thought about how much of a market there would be for these older bikes as we only catered to cars and trucks. If you get the chance, take a peek. My ebay user name is 243mossberg.
(I would link the items so you could see, but to tell ya the truth, I have no idea how.)
If anyone can show me how, I will post them. I'm not soliciting anything, I just think this is simply amazing.

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
78 GL1000 Naked Wing Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN
Last edit: 07 Apr 2008 06:00 by rdgrnr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2008 06:13 #204731 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Simple Amazing
I had a quick peak, but can't find your stuff.
Can you give us an item # from an ebay listing?

Some people like chrome, some don't.

I've seen some of your posts showing the stuff you've done and like it.
I wouldn't mind a chrome sidestand for the 650 like you did.
I think the popularity is people see these items, which you normally don't find for a KZ, and like the idea of buying it already done than having to send it out to a plater to have done.

What would it cost to have a sidestand done like yours? Smoothed and plated?

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
07 Apr 2008 06:28 #204737 by rdgrnr
Replied by rdgrnr on topic Simple Amazing
Here is one of them
Item number: 260227310573
I am no longer working there as I quit as of the 28th of March. I know, why would I do that? Too much B/S and time for a change. Was there for 14 years, and time to move on.
Dale (2M4Dale) wasn't happy that I left either, but he got most of what he wanted done before I left. I tried to get the general manager interested in doing motorcycle stuff, but he is only interested in high number items such as bumpers. Things just got too corporate for me, and it was time to go. We used to be a good company until the owner sold out about 8-9 years ago.
Anyway, wish I could help you out on that kickstand, but I can't..sorry

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

More
07 Apr 2008 06:39 - 07 Apr 2008 06:41 #204740 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Simple Amazing
Here's what you got on ebay at the moment:
ebay stuff

This is how I made a link.

On the ebay site:
-left click on the address bar. It will turn blue.
-right click on this blue address. You'll get a box pop up. Click "copy".
-Come back to this site and start a post.
-in the message box, type in;

{url=http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZ243mossberg}ebay stuff{/url}

I used the wrong brackets here. I used the shift button. Use the lower square brackets in place of the upper squigly ones I used above.

After the {url= right click and the box comes up. Click paste for the address. Then use a closing ] and type anything you want to describe the link, then {/url}, but use the square brackets.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Last edit: 07 Apr 2008 06:41 by rstnick.

More
07 Apr 2008 06:56 - 07 Apr 2008 06:58 #204744 by rdgrnr
my ebay stuff
Ok, thanks..gonna try
Thanks for your help..It worked

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN
Last edit: 07 Apr 2008 06:58 by rdgrnr.

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
07 Apr 2008 07:26 - 07 Apr 2008 07:30 #204748 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Simple Amazing
Dave that really is incredible what that stuff is bringing. You may have hit on a really good moneymaker for yourself. I'm thinking possibly make a believer out of your ex-boss and show him what this stuff can bring. Maybe you can work out some kind of a deal with him to let you do some work on the side using their shop and pay him for the stuff you use plus a little extra for him? Does he drink? Then slip him some booze.:laugh: Is he a frustrated ladies man? Get him a hooker.:P

I do have a couple of questions for you about what needs to be done when you re-chrome stuff. What is done about the old chrome that is currently on the part and pitted or rusty? Is this stripped chemically, just cleaned and plated over? I have no idea what the process is on old stuff. Also I've read that most chrome shops won't touch exhaust pipes because the built up crap on the inside will foul the chemicals in the tank. Wouldn't it be possible to seal the inside using an expansion plug in each end of the pipe so the built up crap doesn't come in contact with the chemicals in the tank? I don't know so that's why I'm asking you. It seems to me like that would work but I'm a bartender not a chromer.:S

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special
Last edit: 07 Apr 2008 07:30 by The Gringo.

More
07 Apr 2008 08:16 #204761 by rdgrnr
Gringo,
Yes, the chrome is stripped off chemically, and then dipped in a rust inhibitor. The parts all get ground off to remove any imperfections( if there are any), then polshed and plated. As far as exhaust, I couldn't get any of mine done because of the reason you brought up. Dirties the tanks and VERY costly to replace the chemicals. Expander plugs can be used but usually shops that will do them, will only do them in the smaller tanks, and sometimes you have to pay for the chemicals too. Not a good option as new exhaust would be cheaper.
I might try him later this summer to do some parts on the side, but with me quitting there, I need to let the dust settle first:laugh:
That 650 from Hades? I could see that standing next to mine if you REALLY REALLY get tired of it B)

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

More
07 Apr 2008 12:26 #204811 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic Simple Amazing
Interesting thread. I know us Brits will pay crazy money for chrome, it's very hard to get it done properly over here. There used to be a plater near me, but according to all who used him he would take as long as he liked and tell you to F*ck Off if you tried to hurry him! Some people left their parts there for years...:blink:

A chrome addict on my site used to have his ally stuff triple plated. If I remember correctly it was copper plated, then polished, then nickel plated and polished, and finally chrome plated and polished. Highly labour intensive and expensive. It did look awesome though B)

If you ever set up on your own to do bike parts let me know... ;)

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

More
07 Apr 2008 12:41 #204814 by rdgrnr
I did have one Brit email me and asked if I would ship there. I said I would but heard nothing back.
You are correct in the show chrome plating process. The only exception is to NOT polish after plating. The chrome will scratch if polished. Chrome is considered to be a hard material, but not as hard as one would think. I have seen guys polish their bumpers with a metal polish and after a few times of that, the chrome will dull. Not an opinion, it is a fact. That's why chrome should never be polished, only cleaned.
As far as setting up my own plating, very very expensive, and way too many OSHA regs to comply with. I have seen the plate at home systems that you can do in a bucket, but I am not sure of the quality. I have everything else to do the prep work though...maybe a consideration for next winter.

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

More
07 Apr 2008 12:49 #204815 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Simple Amazing

I have seen the plate at home systems that you can do in a bucket

Sounds interesting, can you explain that a little more?

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
07 Apr 2008 13:05 #204819 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Simple Amazing
I'd like to know a bit more about that also. I almost bought one of those chrome-in-a-bucket systems, on ebay, but then found out about all the EPA rules for disposal of chrome waste.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
07 Apr 2008 13:44 #204824 by rdgrnr
The basic theory of plating is relative to that of powdercoating. Same principle, different materials.
The part you want to plate is charged with a power source.
Your material then becomes opposite of what your part is.
Opposites attract...badda bing..you have a nice chromed part.
In the case of the "Chrome in a Bucket", usually your chemical strength is not high enough for the EPA to get involved. It's when you want to expand the size of the pieces to larger tanks is where the expense happens. I have heard that some shops will take the chemicals for disposal for a nominal fee as long as they can process it along with their own.
One other cost to consider is the what it takes to set yourself up to do the prep work. You need grinders, D/A's, buffers, compounds, polishing belts, sandpapers of varying grits(for the D/A), mini-grinders, buffing and polishing wheels...What starts out as a $500 home plating system, can at the blink of an eye, go to $2500-$3000 without you realizing..WTF?
And I am set up for prep work only...
I guess you could compare it to what we spend on our rides...And the woman looks at the CC statements and checkbook and asks...WTF???

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN