Island Ride

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
05 Apr 2008 09:29 #204414 by Qdude
Island Ride was created by Qdude
Here in Washington State, there are many many ferries used to cross the Puget Sound. Bikes go directly to the front of the line and follow the bicycles as the first on the boat.

I was visiting my Mom in the hospital this last week, and was waiting for the Kingston Ferry. So this group of 7 bikes collects, 3 Harleys, 2 Goldwings and 2 Kawis (other was a newer 900ish). And I was the youngest guy.

I needed gas, but when the bikes got off of the Ferry in unison, something about being in such a large group (for me it was), made me want to continue on with them.

I have never ridden in formation like that. It seemed that the more they trusted my riding ability i.e. I wouldn't do something stupid and veer into another bike, the closer they allowed me to get. Pretty soon I was in the staggered formation thing with 'em. Fun!

I even passed a car in an oncoming lane in a group of four bikes.

It was not as if there was any recklessness either. Just faster than I would have gone on my own. And it seemed that these guys did this quite often. Many looked retired.

It was extremely fun, and I plan to take some time to go and take one of the ferry routes just to get into a group of bikes again.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2008 10:58 #204432 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Island Ride
Riding in a group does give a thrill. It also takes some concentration. But once you see the consequences of one person losing that concentration and see what happens and how fast it happens it quickly loses it's appeal. One darting squirrel can make the St. Valentines Day massacre look mild. Even riders with tons of saddle time can oops it! There are things you can do to make it less likely to happen and you should do them (stagger). Me, I'll stay solo or 2 bikes tops. Thats about all I can handle. I will say solo riding is not always the smart thing either. If something happens to one there is no one to help or to get help.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
05 Apr 2008 11:30 #204437 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Island Ride
ditto with the loco one,i prefer to ride on an open straight stretch of highway for those times i like to load test my pacemaker with a little throttle pegging to clear my head for a few milesB)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
06 Apr 2008 06:17 - 06 Apr 2008 14:48 #204539 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Island Ride
When I was younger, two of my brothers rode, and a couple friends did as well. So riding with others was the usual and fun.
When I started riding again, after 10 years of not, I rode alone most of the time. I ended up forming a group on the internet to find other riders. It is nice to get together with others, talk bikes and ride.

Here are some links to group riding techniques:

www.sunsethog.com/groupRiding.html
There's another group riding info section in the below link somewhere.

Some good info here on all kinds of stuff:
www.msgroup.org/articles.aspx

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Last edit: 06 Apr 2008 14:48 by rstnick.

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
06 Apr 2008 07:00 #204543 by ran429
Replied by ran429 on topic Island Ride
where are you at?
I am in Kent just south of Renton.

we need to get all of os Washinton Members together real soon and hit the road.

More
06 Apr 2008 08:20 #204560 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Island Ride
I'm also with Loco on this one. In my earlier years a friend invited several other bikers to go with us from Baltimore to Harrington (Del) to see flat track racing. One of these jokers had a "peanut" tank, so he had to stop about every 10 miles for gas (and he rode like an idiot). My friend and I finally left the others behind when they had to stop at a bar. I doubt they ever made it to the races, but that's the last time I rode with more than 1 other biker. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
06 Apr 2008 08:51 #204563 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Island Ride
I actually enjoy a group ride. I like riding with fellow bikers. On the last couple rides with the SoCal guys it was great. We did not have to discuss how to ride, it just came naturally. We would ride in a staggared formation until we got into some twisties then it became a single line formation. When we went to Big Bear (8000ft, great roads) there was a section for high speed twisties and the leader (KZjohn) gave directions to the meeting spot so everyone would know. The group spread out with the faster riders way ahead and the slower ones bringing up the rear, but everyone knew where to end up. Markwing took this pic on our Malibu ride to the Rock Store....

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

More
06 Apr 2008 23:06 - 20 Dec 2011 04:13 #204697 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic a
a

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2011 04:13 by KZ250LTD.

More
07 Apr 2008 05:14 #204716 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Island Ride
I ride in large groups a lot,, not the fun runs but neverless a LOT of bikes.

I rode for years with a friend, we knew where each of us was at all times, those were the good rides, never did like the loose cannons, never know where they would be next or how fast they were going next to you.

good fun rides are always the best no matter how many people

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
07 Apr 2008 06:39 #204741 by davenkids2001
Replied by davenkids2001 on topic Island Ride
I must say that I prefer riding alone or with my wife aboard...although I've ridden with other bikes occasionally in the past.
For us, riding alone gives us more freedom to do what we want, when we want, wherever we want. Our 'gas' range is about 120 miles but my 'ass' range is considerably less. So when we get sore, or thirsty or whatever, we stop. That's not always possible when riding with others.
Yet, sometimes being with other bikes is pretty cool too. Nothing like the roaring thunder of a large group of bikers around you :)
That's my two-bits for the day.

Dave and Janet
Great Lake State
1979 650SR

More
07 Apr 2008 13:52 #204826 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Island Ride
I usually ride alone, but I really like riding with a group. The best part is parking in a line, taking the best parking spots that the Hardleys usually use :evil:

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC