Coming out of Hibernation

More
30 Mar 2008 18:26 #203166 by fixitmann
Coming out of Hibernation was created by fixitmann
Well I dug the KZ's out of their winter naps over the weekend. Looks like all will be ready except I will need batteries for the KZ50E and the 650 CSR. They all fired up and after a little spitting and sputtering they settled down and seem fine.

Its gonna be a good summer!!!

I can't hardly wait. I figure I will even ride the 250ltd to work at least one a week.

Anyone else recently dig theirs out?

So the old Rocker gets out his bike to make a ton before he takes his leave. Up on the A1 by Scotch Corner
just like it used to be. And as he flies --- tears in his eyes ---
his wind-whipped words echo the final take and he hits the trunk road doing around 120 with no room left to brake.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2008 18:48 #203170 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Coming out of Hibernation
Not yet. I've been a bit busy working to clear cedar trees out of my brother's pasture when the weather was nice the past couple of weeks, so I didn't have any riding time anyway. I'll have to get the SR on the road in the next couple of weeks as the weather warms and farm priorities shift a bit.

Good to see you back on the board, Howard.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
30 Mar 2008 18:54 #203171 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic Coming out of Hibernation
Well, gents, spring was set back a couple of more days starting this morning. I got up to see a world o' white that wasn't there when I went to bed last night.....about 1" worth of the stuff. If there was any justice in the world, that should have been RAIN instead, which we can really use.
Cowtown has had a fire ban on in the city limits for about a week cuz it's been so dry. This last snowfall should fix that for awhile.
Oh well, I usually don't get my bikes un-winterized until about the end of April anyway. Sigh......:(

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

• Gosling1
  • User
  • Whats behind you is not important
More
31 Mar 2008 13:22 #203327 by Gosling1
Replied by Gosling1 on topic Coming out of Hibernation
Broke mine out a couple of weeks ago. I even got the good fortune/pleasure to ride it to work last Tuesday. Haven't rode it since, but I am really liking the idea of a multistate ride this summer. I think I might have even convinced my buddy to pull a phoenix on his dormint 77 BMW R100S that has been sitting silent for about three years now. Will have to keep y'all up dated, may be a good excuse to the the mile high KZR's together for a little southern Colorado adventuring.
-Brandon

1983 KZ1100A Shaftee box stock.
A herd of Bultacos to play in the dirt with. Arvada, Colorado
Kick it in the guts Berry

More
31 Mar 2008 14:26 #203342 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Coming out of Hibernation
I've been riding mine all winter as possible anyway. I'll unhibernate a couple of the others next summer. Usually 2-10 yrs mine sit between rides. At least the Kawasakis seem to come out of hibernation all OK, unlike my Honda Goldwing. I just went to run it last week to find brake fluid leaked all over the front discs, plus have a flat front tire losing 10psi per day. Tire has like 70 miles on it and didn't leak a bit last summer. No apparent puncture wounds? Every year on the Honda I know it's going to need work. Not on the Kawasakis. Guess that's why I'm ronkz, not ronhonda :angry:

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
31 Mar 2008 14:56 #203348 by rdgrnr
Replied by rdgrnr on topic Coming out of Hibernation
My 650 was supposed to make it out of the shed today, but once again...snow:(

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
78 GL1000 Naked Wing Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

More
31 Mar 2008 18:08 #203379 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Coming out of Hibernation
Pulled off the cover on Saturday, put back on the carbs, put the gas from the tank into the van, put fresh gas in the tank and hit the starter button and she fired right up !!! Always amazes me. Rode around the block a few times and everything seems fine. Temeprature was just a few degrees above freezing and we still have snow on the ground. Roads are a bit crappy with sand and other leftover crud but hoping that in another week or 10 days we will be good to go and not look back until next November.
:) :) :)

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
31 Mar 2008 19:30 - 31 Mar 2008 19:32 #203399 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic Coming out of Hibernation
I got the front end on my ELR Clone, but need to put the rear swingarm/wheel on and see what I'm going to do about the front sprocket (outboard bearing support plate, or just a spaced sprocket), then the 530, a new battery and off we go.
Can't do anything 'til school is out, though...it's gonna be a long month thru April ... uuuugggghhhhh! I'll have to do my riding osmotically thru you guys 'til then!
-KR

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)
Last edit: 31 Mar 2008 19:32 by Bad Kaw.

More
31 Mar 2008 19:42 #203402 by 2M4Dale
Replied by 2M4Dale on topic Coming out of Hibernation
Got my KZ runnin' right today (thanks Shoe48) ... it's supposed to rain tommorrow ... gotta call the insurance company anyway .... and then there's Wednesday .... can't wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello from Sunny Mansfield, Ohio
1980 KZ750H1 LTD
1981 KZ750H2 LTD

• Gosling1
  • User
  • Whats behind you is not important
More
01 Apr 2008 09:21 #203513 by Gosling1
Replied by Gosling1 on topic Coming out of Hibernation
I saw on the evening news last night when I got home from work, that the denver metro streetsweeping brigade has been called to duty starting this week to start getting rid of all of the sand. That had to be some of the best news that I have seen yet. B)

1983 KZ1100A Shaftee box stock.
A herd of Bultacos to play in the dirt with. Arvada, Colorado
Kick it in the guts Berry

More
01 Apr 2008 11:48 #203540 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Coming out of Hibernation
Whenever you think you are ready Brandon and Ron, even though Ron doesn't really like group rides. I think we can get a ride going before summer, so we can get more people in line with some kind of schedule. I have been riding the 1000 for weeks now and started it over the winter to keep it aliveProbably put 1000 or more miles on it since the last oil change and have been doing rat runs for the snake since then, and I think its better used during these gas situations.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
03 Apr 2008 04:11 #203915 by 2M4Dale
Replied by 2M4Dale on topic Coming out of Hibernation
WooHoo ... took my first ride last evening !!! The old girl seems to be runnin' and ridin' great !!! I have a few more minor issues and then I'm ready to ride .... c'mon warm weather :woohoo:

Hello from Sunny Mansfield, Ohio
1980 KZ750H1 LTD
1981 KZ750H2 LTD