damn harley's!!!

More
19 Mar 2008 19:29 #201089 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic damn harley's!!!
Too bad Harley doesn't have to do the disclosure thing like the auto manufacturers do that disclose exactly how much of them is made in USA. From what I've seen, read, and talked to people who are in the motorcycle business say "A LOT" of Harley is "Made in China". How much a lot is, is hard to say, but a lot is a lot more than on our Kawasakis I'd wager to bet which is a big ZERO, and as one guy I know said "some stuff made in China is OK, but Harley uses the lowest quality rockshit Chinese crap they can get". I guess I don't mind the bikes as much as the riders sometimes and their attitudes. Back when I did the USA 4 corners tour in 90-91 Harley was the second highest number of motorcycles to finish the 10,000 mile ride distantly behind Honda at #1. At that time I think I was only the second Kawasaki to ever finish the ride. They must have some redeeeming quality I suppose.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2008 23:46 #201130 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic damn harley's!!!
I don't care what anyone rides. You get attitudes no matter what you are doing in life. Can't tell you how many times I have stopped for gas or food and had guys on Harley's come up and say how much the enjoyed a bike like mine when they first started riding.
The best one that happened to me was a guy walks up to me while I'm filling up and says "When you getting a real bike". I just toid him I enjoy the old Kaw. I asked him what he rides, figuring it would be a Harley. He says and I quote, I don't have a bike.
Enough said,,, LOL.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
20 Mar 2008 00:13 - 20 Mar 2008 00:25 #201136 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic damn harley's!!!
Here here, well stated!!

I think bikes are kool. I even wave to 50 cc scooters.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you
Last edit: 20 Mar 2008 00:25 by Qdude.

More
20 Mar 2008 04:00 #201146 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic damn harley's!!!
The Milkman wrote:

The best one that happened to me was a guy walks up to me while I'm filling up and says "When you getting a real bike". I just toid him I enjoy the old Kaw. I asked him what he rides, figuring it would be a Harley. He says and I quote, I don't have a bike.
Enough said,,, LOL.

They're usually the type that can't keep a dollar in their pocket so saving their money for a "real motorcycle" will never happen. Of course, they've drank the koolaid so getting a cheap Japanese motorcycle so they can at least ride is completely out of the question. I've met a few of those as well. They've generally paid a decent sum of money to be a walking billboard for HOG.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
20 Mar 2008 20:10 #201288 by Blues
Replied by Blues on topic damn harley's!!!
>>I gotta admit, if I could afford to buy/build a bike out of all USA made parts and labor I sure would. Who can afford that nowadays?<<

True, but harley doesn't, and hasn't made an American bike in many, many years. There are more American parts in a Ninja or Honda Goldwing than in a Harley. At least the "Jap crap" doesn't pretend to be something it isn't just for marketing. I rode H-Ds for 35 years, and now I ride "rice". Why? Because I like RIDING a bike, not just WORKING on it. I want modern (even 30 year old) technology rather than motor design from the 30s.

Blues Dave
Ace of Clubs
1978 KZ750 Twin
Wilmington, NC

\"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers\". Hunter S. Thompson

More
11 Jun 2008 10:07 #219354 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic damn harley's!!!
2M4Dale wrote:

All told I have seven fellows that I occationally ride with. Five of the seven ride Harleys. The other two (father and son) a Suzuki 1300 "busa" and a GXSR 600.

Everyone gets along with everyone else. There is a fair share of good natured ribbing going both ways but it's all in fun.

Oh and in my experience .... 9 out of 10 Harleys leak oil no matter how well maintained they seem to be. And starters are definately a major issue with them too !!!

Also, when I'm out riding I always wave at fellow riders no matter what they are riding ... The Harley guys always wave back .... I've noticed that the BMW guys are the ones who seem most snooty now-a-days. Go figure

I have to second that as well because I have yet to see one of them wave back. Riding their George Jetson sounding bikes they are a step ahead in time.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

• Mcdroid
  • Away
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
More
11 Jun 2008 10:20 - 11 Jun 2008 10:22 #219357 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic damn harley's!!!

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Last edit: 11 Jun 2008 10:22 by Mcdroid. Reason: oh, never mind...

• Limey
  • User
  • 3 Years in the U.K. - Brought the KZ with me!
More
11 Jun 2008 11:52 #219374 by Limey
Replied by Limey on topic damn harley's!!!
I had to laugh to myself a couple of weeks ago. Mary and I had ridden out to a local restaurant popular with bikers, and as we were parking the KZ, a couple came out to leave on the HD parked next to us. The lady half of the couple (a good looking 60ish), looked at our bike, said "wow, that's a cool looking vintage Kawasaki" and struck up a conversation with Mary about what year it was, how long had we owned it etc. Her partner wanted nothing to do with it, stuck his nose in the air and fired up the HD - efectively killing the conversation. Mary said "I bet he doesn't get any tonight"!

I found it odd that at the Mid Ohio Vintage races last year, the featured marque was HD, but there were relatively few Harleys there! I think that, for the most part, Harley riders are not MOTORCYCLE enthusiasts, they are Harley enthusiasts and prefer to live in their own, clone, world. I just leave 'em alone to get on with it, as long as they leave me alone too!

Eric
Newmarket, England (for 3 years)
Pentwater, Michighan (Home)
1978 KZ650
2000 ZG1000
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

More
11 Jun 2008 20:23 #219495 by winston rothchild
Replied by winston rothchild on topic damn harley's!!!
Beatpoet wrote:

Ohh come one, HD is not so bad.

It's not the hardware, it's the software that gets me.

A well-taken care of HD is a good solid ride. Many people can not or do not properly care for them, or perhaps they cannot afford to after paying the sticker price :unsure:

We've all heard our share of 'rice burner' and 'jap bike,' I'm starting to think that some of these folks have been brainwashed by HD marketing or are just plain racist.

I gotta admit, if I could afford to buy/build a bike out of all USA made parts and labor I sure would. Who can afford that nowadays?

might i suggest you check where the parts on that made in america harley were actually made you might be suprised,just like all those american made appliances and cars built with japanese parts theyre so proud of!:laugh:

More
12 Jun 2008 04:20 #219566 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic damn harley's!!!
Limey wrote:

Her partner wanted nothing to do with it, stuck his nose in the air and fired up the HD - efectively killing the conversation. Mary said "I bet he doesn't get any tonight"!

The moment of realization when all of the money spent and all of the time carefully polishing is all for naught as you're still a grain of sand on the beach of life.

I found it odd that at the Mid Ohio Vintage races last year, the featured marque was HD, but there were relatively few Harleys there! I think that, for the most part, Harley riders are not MOTORCYCLE enthusiasts, they are Harley enthusiasts and prefer to live in their own, clone, world. I just leave 'em alone to get on with it, as long as they leave me alone too!

I got the latest issue of Motorcycle Classics yesterday and note there is a full two page HOG ad near the front along with several other "lifestyle" ads I've not seen in it before. While it's good that they're picking up advertisers, the "lifestyle" ads don't square with the photos of vintage/classic enthusiasts. The vintage/classic crowd seems to be miles away from "lifestyle".

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )