X Pipe, carbs, ign...

More
07 Mar 2008 06:09 #198881 by Bluemeanie
X Pipe, carbs, ign... was created by Bluemeanie
Came across this X Pipe on ebay. We've discussed this before but this seems like a total ripoff. Says NO scavenging effect and NO jetting required but produces amazing power gains! Yea, right. At bottom of page you can go see their carbs (bored out stockers) and ignition system which uses GM points that are good for 16,000rpms and at least 100,000 mi! Total rip off and a waste of money. Amusing reading for sure, the new snake oil? What do you guys think?

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2008/03/07 09:10

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
07 Mar 2008 06:23 #198885 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic X Pipe, carbs, ign...
:woohoo:
I especially LOVE the reason he gives for not accepting PayPal.

PayPal offers NO seller protection, so I can't accept it. (Buyers using credit cards can charge back claiming fraud (not as described), PayPal will cave in & seize the Seller's account.)

Huh. Does this mean he's had a number of people claim "fraud(not as described)"???????????:huh:
Go figure.:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :whistle:

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

More
07 Mar 2008 06:33 #198889 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic X Pipe, carbs, ign...
Well, I do know a bit about boring out carburetors. The slide cut out on a carburetor controls the airspeed... the larger the cut out, the slower the air and the greater the volume. Slide cut outs vary between 1.5 and 2.5. A carburetor with a 1.5 cut out might take a #15 pilot jet or perhaps a #17.5 depending on the airbox or pods, etc. The same carb, with the 2.5 cut out might take a #22.5 or 25 pilot jet to achieve a decent idle. Well anyway, the slide cut out is pretty important and the larger the cut out, the more difficult it is to achieve a smooth idle, at least in my experience.

OK... the next thing to look at is how the slide fits in the bottom of the carb. Note there is a recess on the bottom of the carb around the outside of the venturi that the slide drops in... When the slide drops into this recess, the slide cut out then is in effect for allowing air through. When you bore SOME carbs, there isn't enough recess so the carb tends to sit up above the bottom of the venturi and all of a sudden, there is WAY TOO MUCH slide cut out. Air flow is slowed to a crawl and even a huge pilot jet can't fix the problem.

An example of this problem is with the early Z1 carbs (VM28SC). They have a VERY VERY SHALLOW recess and when you bore them, the effect is to have the slide sit up way too high. The other issue is that with the 73/74 versions of the carb, the pilot jet used is a #20 and while that is more than enough for normal use, you would have to go to about a #30 or maybe #35 (guessing) to allow the bike to idle after boring. Those jets are likely not available. You WILL NOT get the early VM28s to idle and they can't be synchronized after this boring process.

On the other hand, you can bore a VM28SS (later kind with the pump used on KZ1000). Most claims say that they bore to 30mm but in actuality, the carbs start out at about 28.7mm venturi diameter and they get just over a 1mm bore. The recess on the bottom of the bore DOES have enough depth that the slide fits down into it OK and you can get the carbs to idle fine on a commonly available pilot jet BUT the small venturi diameter change has little noticeable effect on performance (from a seat of the pants standpoint).

I personally would stay away from carb boring unless I was sure what the outcome would be and given the prices, the lack of bang for the buck from a performance standpoint. Better to get a set of smoothbores or more modern CV carbs for your money.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
07 Mar 2008 06:33 #198890 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic X Pipe, carbs, ign...
Although, actually, the points thing is an interesting claim, or would be if electronic ignition triggering wasn't around.
Consider: a set of points for a Chevy v-8 open and close 4 times each crank revolution, bike points cycle once. So points that work adequately at 4000 rpm on a v-8 should (repeat should) fire adequately at 16000 rpm on a bike. I imagine the same kind of math is used to argue for that 100,000 mile life of the points, although just roughing out some numbers in my head I don't think I come up with that.
All in all, the package that the points are in lead me to believe that he's come across some NOS from a company that developed an improved points ignition right about the time electronic ignitions took over the industry. I kind of remember fitting Chevy points on my CB450 so I could use a couple of auto coils.

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

More
07 Mar 2008 07:11 #198894 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic X Pipe, carbs, ign...
if points were such a hot deal why dont all the big time racers use them, hmmm,
the only thing I see left out is the super duper fuel additive that will make tons of horse power,

Ive got the greatest cure for everything that ailes you, only a mere ten dollars a bottle:P :P

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob