Turban Wearing Biker Loses Challenge In Court

More
06 Mar 2008 15:31 #198769 by reborn650
Hey Gang - This original topic was posted a few weeks back.

For those who missed it, a guy claimed that his religion prevented him from wearing a helmet when riding his Harley. Looks like this guy will be selling the bike.

This is one of those rare cases where established laws were upheld by a judge with a backbone that didn't support the argument of (claimed) religious persecution versus the accepted laws of the land. Obviously, the guy bought the bike for the express purpose of challenging the law since he must have known that he couldn't use a turban for head protection.

Personally, I am glad this guy lost his bid to have the law changed because if he had a spill and hit his head, we would have to pay for his medical bills. In Ontario we have universal health care paid for by all of the hard-working, law-abiding taxpayers in our province.

For those who don't think there is still a degree of justice, here is the link.

www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/310015

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
06 Mar 2008 15:48 #198773 by Duck
reborn650 wrote:

Personally, I am glad this guy lost his bid to have the law changed because if he had a spill and hit his head, we would have to pay for his medical bills. In Ontario we have universal health care paid for by all of the hard-working, law-abiding taxpayers in our province.

What's the big deal. You already pay medicals bills for alcoholics, meth heads, lard asses, and 'gender correction'.

First the government tells you you can't ride a bike without a helmet because it costs too much if you get hurt. Next thing you know you won't be allowed to ride at all. Give them an inch...

More
06 Mar 2008 15:58 #198778 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Turban Wearing Biker Loses Challenge In Court
I'm with reborn on this one. Like it or not the helmet law is in affect there. The law covers everyone and the man knew it. If your religious belief is so strong that you can't obey the law, well then you don't get to ride.
It's the same as the woman that couldn't get a license because she can't take her face cover off.
Let's quit changing the rules to fit each person.

Post edited by: The Milkman, at: 2008/03/06 19:00

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
06 Mar 2008 16:20 #198786 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic Turban Wearing Biker Loses Challenge In Court
Duck wrote:

reborn650 wrote:

What's the big deal. You already pay medicals bills for alcoholics, meth heads, lard asses, and 'gender correction'.

First the government tells you you can't ride a bike without a helmet because it costs too much if you get hurt. Next thing you know you won't be allowed to ride at all. Give them an inch...

Duck. My point is that this guy is trying to change the law to accomodate his requirements, similar to certain religious groups refusing to have their traditional facial coverings removed for photo ID cards. In my opinion, this is wrong in a democratic political system.

If anything, this decision is an endorsement that riding bikes should be done safely in the eyes of our judicial decision makers and this hopefully bodes well for the future of riding in our country. I must point out that there has never been a discussion about outlawing motorcycles in our country to the best of my knowledge.

As far as our medical system supporting the issues you brought up, you will get no challenge from me on that point. But at least these sick (physical or psychological individuals) aren't trying to make us change the laws for them. They are arguably abusing themselves and also abusing the system which does in fact cost us all in expensive medical resources.

The effectiveness and efficiency of our country's universal health care system versus your country's, is a discussion best saved for another thread as both have their own advantages and drawbacks. I was simply offering some follow-up on this challenge to our existing laws which was closely followed by bike riders in Ontario.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

Post edited by: reborn650, at: 2008/03/06 20:48

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

More
06 Mar 2008 17:48 #198807 by Saki Jockey
Replied by Saki Jockey on topic Turban Wearing Biker Loses Challenge In Court
I'm with you 100% Reborn. I'd like to know how this joker got his license.

Rob A.
550 A4
GTA,
Ontario, Canada

More
06 Mar 2008 18:36 #198816 by N0NB
While I appreciate the breath of sanity, I have to think that your version of our ACLU will file an appeal. :angry:

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
06 Mar 2008 19:43 #198830 by KZDon
The turban-wearer, Badesha, immigrated to Canada with his wife and kids, and a motorcycle licence. It's generally fairly easy to transfer licence privileges into Ontario.

As soon as it's available I'll get myself a copy of Justice Blacklock's decision. He was a very bright lawyer, and now a better judge.

As for appeal, that will be Badesha's decision. A lawyer for the Ontario Human Rights Commission intervened at this trial, but the Commission is unlikely to carry it further on its own.

And given another pending decision at the Supreme Court of Canada (Keays v Honda) one of the questions will be whether Justice Blacklock even had the jurisdiction to hear the human rights issues in the case. Those issues are normally under the jurisdiction of the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal. I'm still not sure why Badesha was in court rather than in front of the Tribunal. I have no doubt that the very left-leaning Tribunal would have come up with the opposite decision.

Gosh, I'll bet you folks are just salivating over the legal intracies of Ontario human rights legislation and helmet laws :)

Midland, Ontario, Great White North

2004 650 V-Strom
farewell to 81 KZ550A2 - 82 GS750T - 83 GPz750 - R-Reg GT380 - 76 DT175 - 84 GPz550

More
06 Mar 2008 20:15 #198839 by dkmk
Hmmm...anyone have a patent on a helmet that looks like a turban? $$$ :woohoo:

Ultimately, riding a motorcycle is a privilege to be earned, and to be done in the context of the law. Religious expression and human rights arguments have no place here. What's next? Refusing to strap your child into a car seat because it violates your religious principles? Sheesh... :whistle:

Northern Ontario
Zapp: "Kif, I'm feeling the Captain's Itch."
Kif: "I'll get the powder, sir."

More
07 Mar 2008 09:48 #198922 by JR
I've been following the courtcase also and while I have some symapthy for the guy I have to agree with the judgement and think that the law is there for the greater good and his choice now is to either get a helmet or dont ride on the street. Like others above have said, and I agree, there has to be a point at which we no longer change the laws to suit an individual. If my religion dictated that I kill a bull by cutting it's throat and then burn the carcass would access to that religious freedom transcend animal cruelty laws and local ordinances on backyard fires ?

No doubt someone will appeal the judgement.

To Don's point on transferring drivers licences, take it from one who has been there, done that, no it's not easy. I came with an international licence which was good for I think 3 months. Just enough time to start at the beginning and go through the same process as everyone else.:) :)

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
07 Mar 2008 10:14 #198928 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Turban Wearing Biker Loses Challenge In Court
Why can't he wrap a towel around his helmet? Plus I think if he gets a big enough towel and makes a sh--load of wraps it might be as protective as some low priced DOT approved helmets I've seen. Maybe he's on to something!:whistle:

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
07 Mar 2008 10:56 #198933 by Patton

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
07 Mar 2008 12:43 #198948 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic Turban Wearing Biker Loses Challenge In Court
Hate to be the odd man out here, but I personally feel the helmet laws fall into the category of Big Bro. protecting me from myself. It is an intrinsic right of and individual to endanger himself by whatever method of stupidity he chooses, so long as he does not endanger the lives of others. If he cracks his head open and can pay for life support himself, Yee Haw! Otherwise, bury him.

On the other hand, I would think that to have a law changed on the basis that it encroaches on his religious beliefs, he would have to prove that his religion forbids the wearing of helmets AND requires that he ride a motorcycle. Since he can choose not to ride a motorcycle and still not sin and also not break the law, he is not being persecuted.

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager