US Honda is history!

More
05 Mar 2008 10:58 #198542 by wiredgeorge
US Honda is history! was created by wiredgeorge
INTERNATIONAL HERALD TRIBUNE
Honda to end US motorcycle production, shift work to Japan plant

The Associated Press
Wednesday, February 27, 2008

DAYTON, Ohio: Honda Motor Co. plans to stop making motorcycles in the United States next year and transfer the work to Japan, pulling the plug on its first U.S. plant.

The 330,000-square-foot (30,657 sq. meter) Marysville, Ohio, plant, built in 1979, turns out large Gold Wing touring and VTX cruiser motorcycles. The work will be shifted to a plant in Japan that can produce bikes more efficiently.

The Ohio plant employs 450 workers. Honda said there will be no layoffs when production ends in spring 2009. The workers will remain with the company, helping produce cars, trucks, engines and parts and filling other jobs at Honda's operations in west-central Ohio, the company said.

"There were a lot of people who felt disappointment," said plant manager Jan Gansheimer, noting that many employees are motorcycle enthusiasts who have spent much of their careers at the plant. "There were some emotional considerations."

But realizing it was a business decision and knowing they would not lose their jobs made it easier to accept, she said.

Last year, the plant produced about 44,000 Gold Wing touring and VTX cruiser bikes.

Gansheimer said production of 120 motorcycles a day will continue for now. A decision on whether to phase out production and transfer workers gradually or do it all at once has not been made.

Ray Riffle, of Pastaskala, east of Columbus, has been riding motorcycles for more than 30 years and bought his first Gold Wing motorcycle in May.

"I feel it's a great product, and Americans have done a great job in putting them together," said Riffle, 52. "I hate to see them leave."

Honda said motorcycle production at the Marysville plant and at the Hamamatsu factory in Japan will be consolidated at an expanded motorcycle plant in Kumamoto, Japan, in 2009.

The larger motorcycles currently made at Marysville and the medium-sized ones produced at Hamamatsu will be manufactured together under one roof.

"This move allows us to improve the competitiveness and appeal of our products by applying the latest technologies and production systems at one efficient location," said Akio Hamada, president and chief executive of Honda of America.

The Japanese plant will be capable of producing up to 600,000 motorcycles a year. Capacity at the Marysville plant is 75,000.

No decision has been made about what to do with the Marysville plant.

The Motorcycle Industry Council estimates that 1.11 million motorcycles were sold in the United States in 2007, down from 1.19 million in 2006.

Council spokesman Mike Mount said rising energy costs may be one reason for the sales dip, but noted that motorcycle sales steadily increased for 14 years leading up to 2006, which was the best year for sales in 30 years.

Honda spokesman Ed Miller said the company is confident that sales will increase as the economy strengthens.

Honda says it holds about 25 percent of the U.S. market in sales of motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles and scooters.

Honda currently employs about 13,000 workers at five plants in Ohio — two in Marysville and one each in East Liberty, Anna and Russells Point. Besides motorcycles, the employees make the Accord, Civic, Element, CR-V, Acura TL and RDX sport utility vehicle.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2008 11:08 #198543 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic US Honda is history!
This was posted a few days ago. I think the general thought is that is won't affect anything. They will still make bikes, just somewhere else.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
05 Mar 2008 15:24 #198584 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic US Honda is history!
Production is being returned to a new start of the art plant in Japan so in effect the Japanese are reducing their outsourcing. Not much different than Kawasaki who no longer builds bikes in Lincoln.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
05 Mar 2008 15:29 #198585 by 2M4Dale
Replied by 2M4Dale on topic US Honda is history!
N0NB wrote:

Production is being returned to a new start of the art plant in Japan so in effect the Japanese are reducing their outsourcing. Not much different than Kawasaki who no longer builds bikes in Lincoln.

Wouldn't it be nice to see American owned companies .... REDUCE OUTSOURCING !!!!!! and bring traditional American jobs home !!!! jeez:angry:

Hello from Sunny Mansfield, Ohio
1980 KZ750H1 LTD
1981 KZ750H2 LTD

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
05 Mar 2008 16:05 #198588 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic US Honda is history!
Have you ever heard of Sentry safe?

they build fire proof safes. My Ma forks for them. About 2 years back they brought their gun safe line back to the US (high shipping costs and poor workmanship of the Chinese company that they had building them were the two main factors).

I think if fuel prices stay high, then many company's will find the savings on cheap labor is eaten up by higher transport costs.

Sentry is just one small company...but they still did right in my book.

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.