900 ltd original part ?

More
01 Mar 2008 10:11 #197738 by limitfish
900 ltd original part ? was created by limitfish
Guys working on the bike and was sort of having a tough time getting a master cyl rebuild kit (I think I have it figured out now). But I got to looking at the master cyl. body and was wondering which type the 900LTD came with, and through a little research I guess I still don't know unless they came with two different types. The reason I say this is that mine which I'm 99% sure is original, has a smooth resivor surface. and the one in my owners manual picture has a smooth surface too. But the picture of master cyl. on the Kawasaki parts diagram has a sectional ( indented) surface. Also the supplement manual (page 7) has the same sectional one. Just one of those thing that makes you go huh. Let me know what you think. :huh:

1985 ZX 750 Turbo ( just damn fun to ride )
1978 KZ650 C2 (mild restore for now, work ride)
1973 H1 (some day this will be a nice bike)
1977 KE 250 ( resto project, someday
2014 HD streetglide (on order)
Located on the banks of the muddy Mississippi, LeClaire,IA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2008 04:15 #197877 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 900 ltd original part ?
limitfish wrote:

...supplement manual (page 7) has the same sectional one....

Am also wondering about the pic on page 7.

I purchased my KZ900-B1 LTD brand new and here is the master cylinder it came with off the dealer's showroom floor.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
02 Mar 2008 05:19 #197878 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 900 ltd original part ?
Here's some handy master cylinder info --

The early barrel-style master cylinder used with single front disk brake has a 14mm piston bore size. The m/c size is usually stamped on the body of the m/c. It was enlarged to 5/8 inch size for using with dual front disk brake.

The barrel-style 1977 KZ1000 master cylinder (14mm piston bore size m/c with single front disk) reservoir is pictured in the FSM with only the lower half of the reservoir having the mysterious "groves" and the upper half of the reservoir being a smooth smaller diameter of much lighter color (probably designed translucent enough to see the fluid level inside).

The single front disk 1978 KZ1000 introduced the trapezoidal shaped master cylinder (same 14mm piston bore size) which was the only year for the 14mm trapezoidal style, as it was increased to 5/8 inch bore with the dual front disk 1979 KZ1000.

The 1978 KZ1000 14mm trapezoidal master cylinder reservoir is translucent enough to see the fluid level inside. And I believe the "see through" feature continued on the 1979 KZ1000.

Can understand having groves on the m/c cap to give a better hand grip when screwing it off and on. But see no need for any groves on the reservoir portion (and have never missed having them). :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD