Clean with WD-40?

More
16 Feb 2008 11:08 #194922 by Afrosemite
Clean with WD-40? was created by Afrosemite
So I fixed my sticking throttle with the wd-40 but like you guys said it dried a bit and the problem is back. So this morning I lubed it with some "liquid wrench silcone lubricant." Now it's back to binding again so I broke down and bout some "dri-slide dry film lube" friend of mine reocmmended it and that was enough to get me to part with 14 bucks for a 4oz bottle of lube.
The question i have now is, will WD-40 clean the crap out of the cable? I'd rather not take the throttle cables off because it seems like a bit of work (I may be wrong) so i would probably just spray down the cable line again, unless there it's MUCH better to just take them off

\'78 Kz650d sr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2008 11:20 #194927 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Clean with WD-40?
The "bag" method I proposed works great but still requires you to remove cables at control. If you go that far it's even easier to remove at carbs. I'm not sure about WD40 being a good cleaning agent, if you really need to clean out I would think some kind of solvent would work but then I would have to wonder about it's effect on the plastic sheathing. Never heard of anyone using the dry lube, might be interesting getting it all the way through the cable. I recommened putting a dab of grease on all four barrels upon installation.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
16 Feb 2008 11:34 #194932 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Clean with WD-40?
If interested in new throttle cables from Z1 Enterprises -- :)

Z1E-A

Z1E-B

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
16 Feb 2008 11:39 #194933 by Afrosemite
Replied by Afrosemite on topic Clean with WD-40?
Apparently dri-slide come out of the bottle as a really thin fluid that then dries to leave a graphite lube on the cable. People seem to like it. plus it has a needle applicator tip so it should be easy to get into the cable.
The reason I am not going to do the bag method is that a local guy suggested that I use a dry moly lube because it doesnt attract nearly as much dust as one of the wet-type lubes. Dust is a real big issue here in Santa Fe apparently ( Desert = sand? Who knew?!?)
I think i am just going to see if I cant get a little bit of it down the cable after running a little bit-o-wd to see if it will clear off some of the silcone stuff I already put down there

Post edited by: Afrosemite, at: 2008/02/16 14:42

\'78 Kz650d sr

More
16 Feb 2008 11:49 #194935 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Clean with WD-40?
I've used WD-40 to clear out the gunk in cables. I work it through until I'm getting clear fluid out the other end. That is a process that can take some time.

Instead of lube I've gone ahead and applied some white grease to each end of the cable. So far, so good.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
16 Feb 2008 12:06 #194938 by Patton
For quick results, this cable luber tool allows blasting through from one end of the cable to the other. Requires a pressurized can fitted with common small applicator tube. Use WD40 to clean followed by lube of choice. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
16 Feb 2008 12:10 #194939 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic Clean with WD-40?
Dri-Slide is the hot ticket for non-teflon lined cables.
The trick, as posted, is to get it in there. With the needle applicator you just have to squeeze it in and keep doing that until it comes out the other end. The best way to do this is with the cables removed completely from the bike and hung up vertically with some string or light wire. Yes, there'll be some wastage but once a cable has been Dri-Slided it's good for a long time. A once-a-year addition of a small amount will keep the cable in good shape for many moons.
Modern cables usually have a plastic (or real teflon) lining in them and don't really require ANY lube at all.
What they DO need, though, is washing out with solvent from time to time to get rid of the grit that finds it way down inside them. Standard solvent is sold at Home Depot as thinner for oil based paints. You can get it in standard or low-odour versions....and it's reasonably priced.
I keep a gallon of the low odour stuff around for general cleaning/removal of ANY petroleum-based greases and oils.

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

More
16 Feb 2008 12:20 #194941 by Patton
Here's a pic showing pressure cable luber tool in action.

Have successfully used this inexpensive and readily available "tool" for many years.

Good luck with whatever method is chosen. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
16 Feb 2008 12:40 #194948 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Clean with WD-40?
I must have done something wrong, it worked well with lube getting all the way through to end but ended up with 3 times as much in my hand! :woohoo: But it does work.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
16 Feb 2008 13:26 #194956 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic Clean with WD-40?
I bought one of those cable luber tools too. But for the life of me could never get it to work right. I went to the baggie method myself.

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

More
16 Feb 2008 13:55 #194961 by Afrosemite
Replied by Afrosemite on topic Clean with WD-40?
Funny story, So I took both the cables off and found that the return cable ( the cable that pulls closed as opposed to open?) is fraying at the throttle end. This is probably what is causing it to bind
So I suppose I'll just put one the good cable back on and order a new cable for the other side.
From what i've heard, the 2nd cable is mostly a fail-safe so I should be good ti ride until the other cable gets here?
Correct?

Post edited by: Afrosemite, at: 2008/02/16 16:56

\'78 Kz650d sr