Rain-X on helmet visor

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
08 Feb 2008 22:27 #193554 by Qdude
Rain-X on helmet visor was created by Qdude
I am not about to put chemical on the visor unless I am sure that it would not weaken the plastic and compromise safety.

It rains a lot here in Seattle. I would love to be able to apply Rain-X or some other related product that would cause more of the rain and road splash to bead up and blow off of the visor.

Does anyone know about which product works best?
Are there visors specifically designed for this?

Suggestions?

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2008 22:56 #193560 by inline79
Replied by inline79 on topic Rain-X on helmet visor
It rains as much here in Vancouver (having fun these past few weeks?). I tried RainX on my visor, but since RainX is just an acrylic layer anyways over your plastic visor, it doesn't help unless your visor is old and pitted. And if it's old and pitted, you should probably get a new visor anyways so you can see properly when that bright orange orb appears in the sky!

Frequent cleaning with dishwashing liquid seems to do the trick better than the RainX did.

Do you have a left-hand glove with a squeegee on it? I've always wanted one of those...

More
09 Feb 2008 05:22 #193572 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Rain-X on helmet visor
I use Plexus (available at my local moto shop) to clean and keep my visor polished. After nearly 4 years nary a scratch which is rather unusual for me. I may try it on some scuffed plastic safety glasses to see if it'll clear them up.

My visor seems slick after application so it may also act a bit like Rain-X.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
09 Feb 2008 07:08 #193585 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic Rain-X on helmet visor
I see the Meguire's plastic polish around here. Have thought about trying some of that myself. I wonder I one works better than the other?

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

More
09 Feb 2008 07:26 #193589 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Rain-X on helmet visor
I use RainX on my windshield of my car (admittedly it is glass) and it does work--water beads off rapidly and at freeway speeds you almost don't need wipers in a light rain. I also used to own a pair of motoX gloves with ridges of rubber sewn onto the tops of the fingers...those I used as squeegees when riding in the rain...and they work well too.:)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
09 Feb 2008 09:37 #193606 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Rain-X on helmet visor
Yea, back in College I had a VW Bug with a burned out wiper motor. Rain-x, when properly applied, works remarkably well.

So no one has heard of these products weakening the plastic of the bike visors huh? That was my main concern.

I used to paintball a lot. For those visors they recommend that you be very careful about what gets on your goggles. The claim is that some chemicals might cause the lexan (if I remember correctly) to become brittle which may cause it to shatter much more easily.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
10 Feb 2008 09:06 #193789 by Wildh2oskier
Replied by Wildh2oskier on topic Rain-X on helmet visor
Your going to laugh but from back in my motocross days I learned that if you take the juice from a fresh cut potato and coat the your goggles and or your glasses with it. Then let it dry and polish it off you will not get fog on the lenses. Here in the southeastern USA with our high heat and humidity this is a handy thing to know.
Try it just once and see for yourself that it works.
For the visors we used a light coating of pam r some other cooking spray sprayed on and gently rubbed in.
Although most of you don't do any riding in the dirt, cooking spray srayed under the fenders of an ATV or dirtbike will prevent mud build up.
Thank me for these tips later.

More
10 Feb 2008 09:41 - 03 Dec 2008 20:48 #193795 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 20:48 by JMKZHI.