racing a KZ

More
26 Jan 2008 19:41 #191172 by genesis
racing a KZ was created by genesis
all right, let me preface this by saying I just finished a very strong martini right before I came up with this idea.
Does anybody take their KZ650's to track days. I've never raced a bike, but somehow right now it sounds like something I might like to try this summer.
So I guess my questions are...is the 650 a strong enough bike to run at the track (not drag racing or racing competetively). just a few laps to drag my knees a little. Also, what are the minimums for equipment to run it at the track.
Again, this is not the best thought out idea I've had recently, but it sure seems like fun right now.
I've seen my brother-in-law race, but his bikes are a little more "track ready" (i.e a Ducati 748 and 996 and an MV Agusta 1000) and it looks like something that would definitely put a smile on my face. Unfortunately I don't have the $$$$ to drop on an Italian bike and don't really want to ride a sportbike anyway.
Let me know what you think, even if you think it's just the Smirnoff talking.;)

Post edited by: genesis, at: 2008/01/26 22:42

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2008 20:17 #191180 by steell
Replied by steell on topic racing a KZ
There are guys roadracing KZ650's and KZ750's in both the US and Canada. IIRC, there were a couple competing during Vintage Days at Mid-Ohio last year.

KD9JUR

More
26 Jan 2008 20:35 #191181 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic racing a KZ
They used to back in the 70's. At one of the Budwiser 6 hour races at Riverside raceway a KZ650 was in third place overall and first in class for over a third of the race. You can drag race then too. Back in the 80's a KZ650 had the national #2 plate and the mph record in the sportsman 760cc class.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
26 Jan 2008 20:35 #191182 by krcrawford29
Replied by krcrawford29 on topic racing a KZ
As long as the bike is in good mechanical condition with good rubber and falls under the track regulations(you too), you should have a blast, good luck.

Some parts might need to be drilled and safety wired for your and other riders safety, but not at all necessary, all is up to you.

And....just don't let the Martini talk for your right wrist. be safe.