need info on kz1000 st

More
24 Jan 2008 13:08 #190854 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic need info on kz1000 st
Actually the tail pieces are different. You'll see the ST has an indent where the contour of the seat matches up to it on the sides where the MKII does not. Also the fenders, both front and rear are not the same. The tank is not the same either. The ST is wider tank, wider tail section, wider rear fender. All in all a larger motorcycle than the MKII all the way around. Not noticable in the casual glance, but everything is a little bigger and more heavy duty on the ST for the most part.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2008 13:15 #190855 by tjhiggin
Replied by tjhiggin on topic need info on kz1000 st
Nice KZ1000/1100's come up on ebay all the time for around $2K. There a pretty nice ZL1000 (high miles though) and a Spectre 1100 available right now. Not the same as a 1000st but nice bikes nonetheless.

Also keep an eye on cycletrader.com.

Be patient and you'll find your bike (or it will find you!).

Good luck,

T.J. in Huntsville, Alabama
1983 KZ1100-A3, 1974 Honda CB550-4
Previous bikes: CB100, TS125, CB175, KZ400, CB500-4

More
24 Jan 2008 13:26 #190859 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic need info on kz1000 st
I guess what I was trying to say is that the parts for a shafty are not all that hard to come by. The important decision isn't "money pit". He wants a good riding and safe bike, he will pay more or less the same amount if he buys one in that condition or puts one in that condition... probably will be somewhat cheaper to find one already in that condition. As far as 903/1015 vs J bike or 1100, the 903/1015 bike, ANY MODEL, will tend to have a lot more parts available. If the rider is FIRST TIME RIDER (not just first KZ), a KZ650 would be a good bet... one in good condition can be had inexpensively, it is easy to ride; especially for a smaller rider and has enough go to keep you amused. I personally ride the larger shaft drive because it is FAR more substantial than most of the other earlier KZs. I am not all that comfy on a Z1 or KZ900 or even the 77/78 KZ1000s... they are just small. Too many undetermined issues here for much advice to be given... If the fella is an experienced go-fast rider wanting a retro bike with lots of get up and go, one of the J bikes might be right... he just didn't give enough info to help make a good stab at a recommendation. I personally don't care for the ZL family nor the Spectre or any of the LTDs... I prefer the standard models so that might also be a consideration...

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
24 Jan 2008 22:16 #190944 by fordtruck
Replied by fordtruck on topic need info on kz1000 st
wiredgeorge,

Sorry I didn't give more info on my riding history. I grew up on bikes. I've been riding the street for 16 years now. I've had everything from a Honda Nighthawk to an '03 Kaw ZX-6R to my current bike, a '07 Kaw KLR 650. I just got the itch to get an old muscle bike. I've always been partial to Kaw's and really like the styling of the KZ's. Thanks's again for all the great advise.

'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port