need info on kz1000 st

More
23 Jan 2008 10:27 #190655 by fordtruck
need info on kz1000 st was created by fordtruck
I have been looking at buying a kz900 or 1000. I came across a 1979 KZ1000 ST and I don't know anything about them. How many parts interchange with a normal KZ? I looked on Z1Enterprise's website, but I can't find that model listed. Are parts hard to find for that model? I don't want to buy a bike and find out I can't get parts for it.

Thanks

'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2008 11:04 #190658 by cafekz750
Replied by cafekz750 on topic need info on kz1000 st
The big difference between the ST and the others is the shaft drive. I think many parts interchange. My dad had one for years and it was a very nice bike. Great for long distances. WG has one and would be the person to give you the full specs.

1981 KZ750H2 - V&H 4-1 pipe, pods, jetted, clubmans, homebrew rearsets, 18" rear wheel and more.
Parting out a 1982 KZ750H3 to fund future projects
2 other non-Kawasaki motorcycles

More
23 Jan 2008 11:37 #190663 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic need info on kz1000 st
The only parts that interchange are the basic KZ1000 engine design items. No other parts interchange. Instruments, seat, bodywork, fenders, wheels, air intake system ect, are all unique to the KZ1000ST. So in other words you're not going to find getting parts easy, as KZ1000ST was only a 1979-80 model run and 95% of all parts used to build it were never used on any other model. It's my favorite KZ1000 of all time but frustrating at times. Another bad thing is 95% of them had a fairing and saddle bags, goofy seat, who knows what else added at one time and all original parts long lost and not obtainable. I can say my KZ1000ST is the only one I've ever seen that has the correct grab rail still intact.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
More
23 Jan 2008 14:37 #190693 by KZ_Rage
Replied by KZ_Rage on topic need info on kz1000 st
Post some photos of the bike you're looking at, it might be a find or a money pit.

Like said before, they aren't exactly standard when compared to the chain bikes. Parts do come up more often than you'd think though if you look around a bit.

The big dollar items are the seat and tank. I have two spare seats and one tank plus many other parts. I plan on keeping the majority of the parts but I may have a few things you might need for it.

Most maintenance parts are available at the same price as any other KZ1000.

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

More
23 Jan 2008 22:05 #190752 by fordtruck
Replied by fordtruck on topic need info on kz1000 st
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...em=130191908546&rd=1

I've decided against this bike. This will be my first KZ, and I don't want to start with a money pit. I really like the styling though. It's too bad they didn't make them longer.

More
24 Jan 2008 02:12 #190760 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic need info on kz1000 st
fordtruck wrote:

This will be my first KZ, and I don't want to start with a money pit. I really like the styling though. It's too bad they didn't make them longer.

Two comments...

(1) If you like the styling, then look also at the 1981/2 GPz1100's...very similar

(2) All older Kawasaki's are money pits:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
24 Jan 2008 07:34 #190802 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic need info on kz1000 st
Wow, Not sure I would characterize the GPz styling as the same as the shafty style. Almost ALL engine parts are the same as any other KZ using the MK II engine. The big parts issue would be brakes and front forks. If the forks are bent, you would have to find another set of ST forks and the rear brake is kind of unique to the bike as I recall but pads are readily available for both front and rear. I have bought several spare sets of brakes for this reason. The bodywork is the same as the MK II except for badging I think... all in all, I have not had a bit of problem finding any part for my bike. I also have a 1980 that I will eventually get around to rebuilding or restoring. I am thinking about a restoration which I seldom do... I usually just do a redo of the bike and don't try to keep it too original.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Attachments:

More
24 Jan 2008 07:59 #190803 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic need info on kz1000 st
The bodywork "looks the same" as a MKII, but it's not. Everything is larger on the ST. The rear brake pads are the same as used on the MKII and KZ650 models with discs so those will be around. The fronts are only KZ1000E or KZ1300 use so those may not be on every dealer shelf.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• KZ_Rage
  • User
More
24 Jan 2008 09:13 #190811 by KZ_Rage
(sorry, this is so long)

If you are going to buy a 900 or 1000 in anything near this price range then you will have to drop money in it. If you want a bike that has been completely gone though like mine or George's then it is going to go for more than two G's as we have way more than that in them.

You have to decide if you want to put effort and money into one or just money. Even a restored or updated bike from that era is going to need some things like tires, brake pads, battery, cables or other wear items.

Just checked out the auction bike and here's my take...

It's probably a deal at anything under $1000 for it, $1100-$1200 it had better be in good enough shape to ride for the first year without any real investment unless there is some major money in the engine (1075, cam's, porting,etc.)

What I see:
The front & rear rims have been stripped, don't know if they were painted, powder coated or just left stripped. If painted check for adhesion, if bare aluminum then plan on doing something to them unless you like the look of dull aluminum, powdercoat is worth some money in the price of the bike.

Pipe is repainted though the headers are rusty but kind of looks like a Kerker (hard to see). If it is loud you might see if the baffle is in it, if not then that may or may not be something you can find if you are wanting to tone it down some. No baffle is going to make it quick but not fast.

The bike is clean from the photo's so I wouldn't expect a lot of rust issues but this must be checked in person, camera's lie!

Someone has been into the clutch side of the bike. I'm guessing the engine has been apart to some degree actually as the entire right side covers are either stripped of paint or or off of another MKII engine.

The center stand is gone, nice to have but doesn't really have to be on the bike. Opinions differ on this but how much can you really do on the side of the road with a bike tool kit?

Things that need checking with the miles shown are the valves, compression and the rear unit. If you're close enough to take it for a ride, bundle up and get it up to full temp and ride it for a mile. See if it smokes any, has power and is free of cam chain slap. The pods are going to give you some noise but that's OK but the exhaust could hide some issues if it's over the top loud. Check the rear unit for leaks.

Seat looks really good, side covers need to be checked to see if the tabs are intact. Take a look under the seat as the fuses will tell you a lot about the condition of the wiring. The drag bars are not for me but if you like them they will do. The bar clamp might be modified, if you want to change the bars I have one I can part with if you need it. The fact it has a scoop and cowl is a plus if they are in good shape. Looks like HD shocks maybe, hard to tell but not originals I'd say.

It either has or has had a carb spewing from the yellow on top of the right side cover and carb bodies. They look like the original VM28 pumpers. Not hard to clean & rebuild.

The plug wires are aftermarket so the coils might be too. The one shot shows one plug cap looking red for some reason. The oil pressure gauge along with the other mods to the bike tells me it was rode hard at least at some point in it's life. Doesn't mean it is dogged to death, just means it needs to be evaluated more closely as you don't want to spend more than $900 if it has been abused.

Bottom line is find out who did the mods, how long ago, go see it and ask pointed questions like why the was the right side clutch housing off, etc. but first get him talking about how fast it is, what it will beat, will it smoke the tire, other questions about this kind of treatment as if though you want to burn the rubber off the tire. You'll learn real quick if he only had the bike to beat to death in the 1/4 mile, what he has destroyed and such. If he is a tire burner then expect the rear unit to be shot and possibly more in the shaft drive. Unlike a chain drive you don't abuse these the same way and not expect issues that result in money out of pocket.

Me, if it were close and passed most of my checks I'd buy it if it was under a grand, that said, you have to go with with your wants, mechanical ability and gut feeling. Good luck!!!

Post edited by: KZ_Rage, at: 2008/01/24 17:20

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)

More
24 Jan 2008 09:28 #190815 by fordtruck
Replied by fordtruck on topic need info on kz1000 st
KZ_Rage,

Thanks for the great advice! I've decided to pass on this one. This will be my first KZ, so I've decided to tackle one that is more common. I do love the styling of the ST!

• KZ_Rage
  • User
More
24 Jan 2008 09:40 #190817 by KZ_Rage
No problem, if anyone else is interested I'd say go for it but just don't get into a bidding frenzy on this one.

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)

More
24 Jan 2008 12:50 #190852 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic need info on kz1000 st
ST model sidecovers are different with unique part numbers vs. MKll's but can be made to work with a little finessing- the mounting pins are off and the shape is slightly different but I've got one on my MKll.
99% of the world would never know.

Tailpieces and fenders are same,don't remember if the tanks interchange or not. Other than the shaft drive engine parts from 73-80 will fit in a MKll motor.Not the same, but they will fit.

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B