Tire help/source?

More
17 Jan 2008 14:01 #189785 by dkiser
Tire help/source? was created by dkiser
I have a KZ1000P with 'run-flat' tires on it front & rear. I'm looking for a reliable, reasonable source for replacement tires, and would be interested in what my options are if there are any to replace with a wider footprint (not necessarily 'run-flat' I assume). Can anyone help me who has experience/knowledge? Thanks,

dkiser@jdcomm.com
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2008 14:27 #189791 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Tire help/source?
Welcome to the site, there are several on line places to purchase tires, but I have found that if you purchase tires from a local shop they will mount and balance them at a "no charge" and if something gets messed up they will fix it. When I have brought tires in, the fee is quite a bit higher and they are not going to work with you at all.
You could look at Dennis Kirk for startes

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
17 Jan 2008 15:03 #189798 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Tire help/source?
This may be a regional thing, but here in Portland, everywhere I asked charges $20/tire for mounting whether or not you buy it from them.

The place where I have consistently found the best prices is at www.americanmototire.com . But, in two attempts to purchase tires from them, the orders got screwed up, so I cannot recommend them.

I had heard that www.DennisKirk.com was a good place to get them. But when I went there, their prices were a lot higher than the other place. Then I saw that they offered a low price guarantee. So I tried it. I called them up and told them the pricing that was being advertised at www.americanmototire.com . They looked it up on the Net to confirm, then agreed to match the pricing.

They shipped them to me promptly, and I was very happy with their service. So I will always buy tires from DennisKirk, and take advantage of their price guarantee. :)

Post edited by: Skyman, at: 2008/01/17 18:05

West Linn, OR

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
17 Jan 2008 17:05 #189809 by ran429
Replied by ran429 on topic Tire help/source?
What city, state and or Country are you in?

This will help other members direct you to someone closer?

More
17 Jan 2008 18:42 #189839 by drock79
Replied by drock79 on topic Tire help/source?
Chaparral has been cheapest for last few times I bought tires. Plus free shipping usually.

More
17 Jan 2008 20:45 #189856 by DasTeufel
Replied by DasTeufel on topic Tire help/source?
motoxoutlet.com has been good to me. I have ordered 3 tires from them so far, about to order a fourth. Shipping is pretty cheap.

2009 KTM 690 SMC
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2001 Suzuki GSXR 750

Wildomar, CA

More
18 Jan 2008 06:50 #189893 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Tire help/source?
denniskirk.com has a price match guarantee. They will beat the shipped price of any set of tires. I use www.swmototires.com and www.ronayers.com as comparisions.

The important thing with buying tires over the internet is not only the price but shipping and the two places I noted end up being cheapest usually when you combine price and shipping. Pick out which tire you like; for a cop bike I would consider Avon Venom, Metlzer 880 or Dunlop 404 type tires. These tires all have higher load ratings suitable for a heavier bike and deliver a good combo of mileage and performance. I use the Dunlops on my shafty KZ1000E which is pretty heavy. Get your price off swmototires and ayers and have the links handy and call kirk. They have super-fast shipping and almost always have the stuff in stock. The added benefit is that you can always buy other odds and ends and add that stuff to the order and your wife may not notice (don't tell my wife I mentioned this).

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
18 Jan 2008 22:13 #190033 by dkiser
Replied by dkiser on topic Tire help/source?
Thanks very much; I ordered my tire from Dennis Kirk and saved about $50 as they matched the price from Ayers just like you suggested. I appreciate the help very much.

-Dkiser

More
19 Jan 2008 06:23 #190050 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Tire help/source?
wiredgeorge wrote:

denniskirk.com has a price match guarantee. They will beat the shipped price of any set of tires. I use www.swmototires.com and www.ronayers.com as comparisions.

The important thing with buying tires over the internet is not only the price but shipping and the two places I noted end up being cheapest usually when you combine price and shipping.

I buy my tires from Denniskirk as any order in excess of US$100.00 and DK will waive shipping charges.:)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
19 Jan 2008 11:24 #190101 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Tire help/source?
DK's best price deal INCLUDES the price shipped. swmototires.com has free shipping as I recall so you end up with the best bike period IF you give them another place that is cheap because they DO look up the competitors price while you wait on the line. Ron Ayers has good money but the tire selection isn't great.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
19 Jan 2008 15:57 #190127 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Tire help/source?
wiredgeorge wrote:

swmototires.com has free shipping as I recall so you end up with the best bike period

Not if you want Cheng Shins:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: They don't carry them.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A