motorcycle tire changing

• Scrapper
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I Survived P.D. Fri .the 13th 2008 .
More
16 Jan 2008 15:34 #189615 by Scrapper
motorcycle tire changing was created by Scrapper
Want to build your own work station for tire repair and Wheel balancing?
Here ya go!
www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing-doc.html#2
Cheers ..ScrapperB)

Handle every situation like a dog,
If you can't eat it or hump it,
Piss on it and walk away!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2008 18:47 #189644 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic motorcycle tire changing
Not bad, but I don't buy onto the way he balances his wheel/tire. He finds the heavy spot (that's good) and then adds sufficient weight 180 degrees away from it to balance it (that's bad.) This leaves him with the classic "barbell" effect. That is, 2 heavy spots opposite each other. You'll notice nobody makes cast wheels with only 2 spokes, but there are numerous wheel manufacturers for bikes and cars that make 3 spoke cast wheels. This eliminates the barbell effect by evenly spreading the heavy spots around the wheel. I achieve this effect when balancing wheels by marking the heavy spot then measuring 1/3 the distance around the wheel from it in each direction and marking these 2 spots. I then add equal amounts of weight to these 2 spots until the wheel no longer stops at any particular spot after giving it several spins. This has always produced good results for me. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
16 Jan 2008 20:16 - 03 Dec 2008 20:31 #189657 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 20:31 by JMKZHI.

More
17 Jan 2008 05:06 #189686 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic motorcycle tire changing
I decided years ago, pay the man to change the tire and balance it

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
17 Jan 2008 05:12 #189688 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic motorcycle tire changing
BSKZ650 wrote:

I decided years ago, pay the man to change the tire and balance it

Interesting, I'll rebuild motors, front ends, etc, but when it comes to tires...same as BSKZ650, I take it to someone also:laugh: :laugh:

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
17 Jan 2008 06:43 #189694 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic motorcycle tire changing
I have also been taking my wheels in to have them done. The problem is that I have done 8 wheels in the last two years and that is over $350. I just bought all the machines to do the job at Harbor Freight Tools. Everything I neaded to change and balance Bike tires cost me about $125. This is paid for in about 2-3 tire changes.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
17 Jan 2008 07:16 #189699 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic motorcycle tire changing
otakar wrote:

I have also been taking my wheels in to have them done. The problem is that I have done 8 wheels in the last two years and that is over $350. I just bought all the machines to do the job at Harbor Freight Tools. Everything I neaded to change and balance Bike tires cost me about $125. This is paid for in about 2-3 tire changes.

Looking at the list of bikes you have, I can see it might pay to own your own equipment,too bad you live too far or I would pay you to change mine also

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
17 Jan 2008 07:24 #189701 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic motorcycle tire changing
Same here, have done a couple and it's tough. I just have the place I buy the tire at change it. It's usually free with tire purchase. Plus, last time they installed new tire they popped tube so I got brand new one free!

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2008/01/17 10:25

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
17 Jan 2008 11:35 #189747 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic motorcycle tire changing
Being an expert tube pincher, I get new mail order tires mounted and balanced at the local Kaw dealer for $25 each wheel, and consider it money well spent. The price includes removal and disposal of the old tire. Dealer adds a small charge for any weights needed.

This is the price where I have already removed and deliver only the wheel (old tire still mounted) to the dealer. Am guessing it would be more expensive for the dealer to also remove and replace the wheel.

Don't mind at all removing and replacing wheels, but would rather than change tires. :lol:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
17 Jan 2008 12:29 #189757 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic motorcycle tire changing
otakar wrote:

Sounds like this could be a very wise (and almost enjoyable) investment. :cheer:

Would these tools include the $30 portable tire changer, plus $50 motorcycle tire attachment, and possibly the $50 portable wheel balancer (bubble style) or other type balancer?

Hope these tools perform as advertised and that you'll please give us a performance report when able. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
18 Jan 2008 07:11 #189896 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic motorcycle tire changing
otakar, I have one of the HF tire changing machines with the motorcycle adapter. If you change a 19" rim, it works OK.... I have to use tiedown straps to keep the tire/rim in place because the holders don't work all that well in clamping a rim. The bead breaker works fine and the long bar they give you is good for pulling the bead off the rim but you will also need a couple good tire irons... the Motion Pro long curved spoon type work well... they are a MUST. The machine doesn't work as well on smaller rims... like 15" bike rims. The sidewalls of the smaller and wider tires are STIFF and much tougher to get on/off the rims. Last, seating the bead on the rim is often a chore. I think Motion Pro sells both a strap type tool and an inflatable tool that you wrap around the tire and tighten to force the bead to the rim and of course this requires a compressor to inflate... a little DC compressor won't seat a bead. It generally takes me half a day or sweaty work to change two tires and balance them (I have a balance machine as well) so I usually take them to a shop that does this stuff for me at $25 a set... they have a hydraulic machine and tire changes are a lot quicker... an hour in and out.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!