Blue Job for blue pipes

More
14 Jan 2008 10:21 #189218 by ltdrider
Blue Job for blue pipes was created by ltdrider
My pipes have turned blue at the exhaust ports, for a length of about 6 inches.
I bought some Blue Job ($12.99 at Cycle Gear), and gave it a try. It's a white powder that you apply with a damp cloth applicator, and it forms a white paste on the pipe. I rubbed the blue area, adding more powder as I rubbed. Spent maybe 15 minutes on each pipe.
I think the results were fair. Not the chome shine that a new pipe has, but more of a bronze color. Seems like the secret to this stuff is to keep at it. The more you rub, the better it works.
With a healthy engine and single-wall pipes, I'm sure the blue will come back. But I may use Blue Job every once in a while to improve the look of the pipes.
That's my report. Sorry, no pics.
Ride safe,
Tim

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2008 11:33 #189227 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Blue Job for blue pipes
If the pipes are turning blue then the engine is not running correctly. Likely the carbs are a bit lean. That is themain reason people say to not add chrome pipes until the engine is running at 100%. You can also spray some high temp paint inside the pipes to help keep the bue away.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
14 Jan 2008 11:59 #189232 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Blue Job for blue pipes
and you can take your baffle out untill you solve the problem....... doh, that'll make it run leaner.

not having a baffle makes the pipe run cooler.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
14 Jan 2008 12:06 #189233 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Blue Job for blue pipes
kawtoy wrote:

If the pipes are turning blue then the engine is not running correctly. Likely the carbs are a bit lean. That is themain reason people say to not add chrome pipes until the engine is running at 100%. You can also spray some high temp paint inside the pipes to help keep the bue away.

Yeah, the bike may be a bit lean. But most KZs you see with stock pipes have some blue in them. Single-wall pipes can't dissipate the heat.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
14 Jan 2008 13:10 - 03 Dec 2008 20:32 #189243 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 20:32 by JMKZHI.

More
14 Jan 2008 21:21 #189340 by JoeK
Replied by JoeK on topic Blue Job for blue pipes
I used Blue Job too... it worked better than anything else I tried, but windin' the KZ out to blow out carbon :whistle: just seems to make the blue come back.

It took a LOT of elbow grease, my pipes were pretty blue. My Advice: Don't expect miracles.

1977 KZ1000 - coolest
1973 Honda CB-750 - oldest
2004 Yamaha FZ1 - fastest
www.jekgraphics.com/gallery/kzr Galleries of So Cal Events
www.VintageBikeOC.com Monthly Meet of Vintage Bikes in Orange County, CA