I'm setting up a ride to the Mullett Toss

• Wildh2oskier
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jan 2008 12:52 #189056 by Wildh2oskier
I'm setting up a ride to the Mullett Toss was created by Wildh2oskier
I am going to this years mullett toss at beautiful Orange Beach Alabama. I'm planning on either riding or hauling (depending on the wife and my friends) the world famous Flaming Screaming Kawasaki of Death. It occured to me to post it here. To set up a Southern Rendevous of sorts for those of us who are not going to Ohio. Or for those of you who are it is a great early summer get away for some really nice riding and a party that is second to none.
Heres something I cut n pasted from a website about the "MT" They are better writers and its a lot easier on my lazyness to let someoen else do all the work.
There's an art to throwing a mullet, a useless, bottom-feeding, salt-water fish. And since 1984, locals and tourists alike have worked tirelessly to perfect this art. A year's worth of training, 12-ounce curl after 12-ounce curl, boils down to a single weekend of heated competition. Yes, I'm talking about the Interstate Mullet Toss held every April, where over a 1,000 people get sucked into the mullet mania and shell out $18 to toss a 1½-pound fish. The entry money also gets you a T-shirt and a souvenir picture of you to send home. Dear Ma, thanks for the college education!

Barbara Burns is a bartender at the FloraBama Package & Lounge, one of the last great American roadhouses, which sits equally as much on Florida soil as on Alabama's. They host this annual fish fest. "We throw 300 pounds of mullet from the Florida side into the Alabama side," Burns says. "Most people take the fish and roll it up like a baseball, tight as they can, crunch its little bones and everything else." Right away you'll recognize a mullet launched by an artist; it will slowly come unfurled and cut through the air, head first, and land about 150 feet away. Flings by regular folk often leave the mullet mangled, airborne in many different parts.

"We recycle," Burns boasts. "After you throw you have to retrieve your fish. And if it's not too screwed up, you wash it off and throw it back in the bucket." For the early-retired mullet, the FloraBama often invites some pelicans from the Alabama Wildlife Association to help clean up the mess.

How many people show up every year? "Let's just say we've got many many thousands," Burns says. "I never give that amount because the IRS would love to hear that." If you're interested in becoming one of the herd, there are lots of other events to look forward to. There's the Ms. Mullet Bikini Contest, a Wet T-shirt Contest, a Hiney (butt) Contest, Volleyball, Skeet Shooting, a Keg Toss, three bandstands and 17 bar stations. Burns demands, "Nobody goes without a cold beer or drink in their hand."

Heres the link to this years mulett toss. If you search around on it you can find pics from past events. If you don't have anything planned that weekend its a great cheap time.
www.florabama.com/Special%20Events/Mulle.../mullet_toss_faq.htm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Wildh2oskier
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jan 2008 13:01 #189058 by Wildh2oskier
Replied by Wildh2oskier on topic I'm setting up a ride to the Mullett Toss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.