Turbo siting '78 1000 Mr turbo

More
21 Dec 2007 19:57 #186009 by z1rick
Turbo siting '78 1000 Mr turbo was created by z1rick

Anaheim CA
1999 KZ 100P
1974 Z1 900 Project
1977 (2) KZ 650 projects

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2007 07:06 #186041 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Turbo siting '78 1000 Mr turbo
For some reason I love those bikes. I know I am in the minority. They don't run worth a crap and the paint scheme is.. well, 70's but I still love them. The price is already more than I would pay for it in it's current condition. What the heck happened to that poor head? How could someone do that much damage unless it was laid down? It is not a original Z1R TC because the TC used Ray Jay turbos. This might be a TC with a different turbo but not sure. They made 500 Z1R TC so he facts are a bot off. Sounds like others have been emailing him and telling the right facts but he doesn't want to hear it. Check out this comment "OK NO MORE EMAILS ABOUT WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE BIKE, IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT BID.THANKS". I guess that says it all. Basically he knows his listing is not correct and that there are issues with the bike but he thinks it will bring the value down if he lists the faults. Hopefully no kzr members will fall for it.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
22 Dec 2007 08:45 #186049 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Turbo siting '78 1000 Mr turbo
He doesn't appear to be claiming it is a Z1R TC.

1978 Kawasaki Z1 Mr Turbo conversion

Didn't ATP build the Z1R TC's?

KD9JUR

More
22 Dec 2007 09:02 #186051 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Turbo siting '78 1000 Mr turbo
If I remember correctly TC (Turbo Corporation, or something similar) was the company that built the turbo bikes for Kaw. Only made them for 2 years because California had a law against bikes with aftermarket exhausts so the turbo bike stopped production.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
22 Dec 2007 18:14 #186096 by steell
I knew ATP was in there somewhere :D

We must point out that the Z1R TC Turbo was never sold as a ‘proper’ Kawasaki product. Assembled by the Turbo Cycle Corporation using ATP turbocharger kits, the Z1R TC Turbo was sold to the public through a limited number of American Kawasaki dealerships. Oh, and they didn’t come with a warranty!

Using a Rajay turbocharger (as used in ATP’s off-the-shelf turbo kit), the Z1’s substantially-sized 1015cc air-cooled DOHC four-cylinder is boosted to around 6 – 8 psi. The standard quarter mile performance of this machine is 10.9 seconds!

In its first year, the Z1R TC Turbo was slow to pick up sales – but word quickly spread. One contemporary journalist wrote, "We’ve never tested anything that accelerates so fiercely." And if the raw speed isn’t enough to blow you away, its relatively skinny tyres, small brakes and hinged-frame chassis certainly add to the riding experience...

Changes to law in California during 1980 made it illegal for this awesome bike to continue its factory-backed sales. The Kawasaki Z1R TC was discontinued for 1980 - around 500 were sold.

Forgot the link :blush:

www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2401/article.html

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/12/22 21:15

KD9JUR

More
22 Dec 2007 18:27 #186098 by steell
This one is kind of funny :)

The relative poor sales of the standard Z1-R prompted Kawasaki America to team up with the AMERICAN TURBO-PAK Company to produce the Z1-R TURBO. Basically a standard bike with a turbo kit bolted on. No warranty was offered and a few hundred were sold in 1978 in the original silver blue colour. In 1979 a couple of hundred more were produced but this time the bike was painted in black with red, yellow and orange stripes. Very tacky and very seventies. Power output was quoted at anything between 100 and 145 bhp, depending on how much boost the rider dialed in. 160mph was available, on a bike which struggled handling the standard engine output. Performance was exciting, for all the wrong reasons!

"Performance was exciting. for all the wrong reasons!" :D :D

Remembered the link this time :)

KD9JUR

More
22 Dec 2007 23:24 #186116 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Turbo siting '78 1000 Mr turbo
i thought the turbos were only 750's

anywhoo i like, and as for the bad head it needs a j conversion anyways.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
27 May 2008 11:17 #216175 by captscubaman
Replied by captscubaman on topic Turbo siting '78 1000 Mr turbo
Anyone out there with knowledge of the installation and operating characteristics of the American Turbo Pac system. I recently bought back a 1973 Z1 after 32 years from a friend. It has been sitting for 7 years so I must go thru everything. The engine is a 1015 w/ a welded crank it has a Zenith carb on the turbo and yes its a Rajay turbo. He gave me a 44 mm Keihin side draft w/ it, but the adapter is to big for the turbo. The turbo measures 41mm on the intake so any help would be appreciated. I was told a Mikuni would work better with a little modification by a company near me called Orient Express. Thanks

More
27 May 2008 13:03 #216199 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Turbo siting '78 1000 Mr turbo
Orient had lots of dragbikes running turbo's back in the day.Another good source would be Mr.Turbo ,Terry Kizer, down in Texas. Check out the Turbo section in the forums at www.dragbike.com

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B