Small dent in the tank: Repair it? Replace it? Or just live with it?

More
29 Dec 2007 07:33 #186839 by Nothreat
I did try the freezing method when I was on high school on a Suzuki TS185 I dropped. It did pop the dents out well without damaging the paint. It also split the seams at the bottom of the tank. It also bulged the entire tank. I probably gained several ounces of capacity. My dad soldered the seams and it worked well until I sold it a couple years later.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2007 07:34 #186840 by Nothreat
I did try the freezing method when I was on high school on a Suzuki TS185 I dropped. It did pop the dents out well without damaging the paint. It also split the seams at the bottom of the tank. It also bulged the entire tank. I probably gained several ounces of capacity. My dad soldered the seams and it worked well until I sold it a couple years later.

More
29 Dec 2007 18:25 #186886 by 76 LTD
They make a great fix for dents its been around for years and when properly applied works great its called BONDO.i have used it on more tanks than i can count and never had a problem.

More
29 Dec 2007 19:09 #186888 by Aric
Just finished with the Bondo. Not a graet body man myself, I'm a carpenter by trade so if I get it wrong the first time I just go get another peice of wood, but it looks ok... I guess. Pics aren't real good. No before's either. Imagine 2 large dents one golf ball diameter 3/8 inch deep and one tennis ball size 1/2 inch deep to the left of and below emblem mounts and one nickel size hole about 1/4 deep with a crease in it above emblem mounts. Still needs to dry completely and sanded again and possibly painted and sanded again, but not bad for first try i think. It's work, but the dry ice deosn't cut it for large dents.

Why, Yes, that is cheapo spray paint on the table and the tank, thanks for noticing! Hey, I'm on a budget here, spent all my money on FleaBay already. FYI - Black is not the final color. Gonna try that color change in a can stuff. One day I'll be able to afford Mark Wing... one day...

Post edited by: Aric, at: 2007/12/29 22:16

More
30 Dec 2007 00:11 #186904 by gorack
jonnybiker wrote:

You ride around with a c-clamp clamped on your brake master cylinder...... , but your that bothered by a nickle sized dent in the tank? /quote]

More
30 Dec 2007 00:19 #186905 by gorack
just fix the caliper and ride. tank looks better than most old bikes, if its that small why mess up a good factory paint job. yeah that c-clamp has too go