A change of direction

More
10 Dec 2007 07:14 #184396 by inline4
A change of direction was created by inline4
Just bored at the moment so I thought I'd post what's going on in my head and what's NOT going on my garage.;)
My Z1 streetfighter project has been "in progress" for way too long now, so I have decided to give up on the GS swingarm conversion and go with standard spoked wheels, both front and rear. I think I just bit off more than I could chew wanting to add the GS arm. Getting the front and rear sprockets aligned is more than I can handle right now, not to mention the fact that finding a rear sprocket (for the GSXR1100 wheel)that will give me close to the same final drive ratio has been a real PITA.
That decision also means that I have to remove the ZX11C front end and get a KZ front end. (I have inquired about a complete one from a fellow member here). Fortunately I didn't get rid of the front and rear wheels that came on the Z when I got it.
I'll more than likely just hold on to the the ZX front end and GS arm and see if I can apply them later.
Another thing that has driven me to go in another direction is that I now own 3 Honda CB550s and a CB200, all purchased for less than $700!B)
Thanks for listening, and you can now return to your regularly sheduled routine.:laugh: :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2007 07:21 #184397 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic A change of direction
Don't give up so easily. Check out Rebel Gears www.rebelgears.com . When I did my FZR front and rear swap they custom made a rear sprocket that gave my the same ratio. It was only about $60 if I remember correctly. I sent them the FZR sprocket so they could match the bolt pattern. The GS swingarm should almost be direct bolt on, depending on what year it came from. Hang in there. If you have any questions there are plenty of us who have done front and rear swaps so mybe we could help.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
10 Dec 2007 07:43 #184401 by zzrmkII
Replied by zzrmkII on topic A change of direction
Really don't give up.Take a look at my bike in "projects".I tried to put some helpful things in it as much as I could about swaping front end and swinger.I've been trying to get it done for over a year now (5 other bikes to play with also) If your stymied then walk away for a little and come back later.And beside YOU know you want to do (get it together)So you can post cool pics for the rest of us to drool over..:woohoo:

In the middle of town with my
74 750 triple dragbike
78 KZ1000 dragbike
80 KZ1000 MKII
81 KZ1000 J model
00 ZRX1100
and my 97 Dyna

More
10 Dec 2007 08:53 #184408 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic A change of direction
One thing that relly help me was to put a list of all th things that needed to be done on a dry erase board. I got a magnetic board that mounted on my fridge in the grage. It helped keep me on track and also gave me a sence of accomlishment when I marked off jobs that were completed. Maybe if you had all the taks written down you would see tht you do not have very far to go.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
10 Dec 2007 09:05 #184411 by inline4
Replied by inline4 on topic A change of direction
Thanks for your motivation and inspiration guys. I just had a nice conversation with galaxian (long-time member here) and he offered much needed info and inspiration as well.
You Kaw guys are a good bunch, do you realize that?:cheer: So for the time being I'll continue in the direction I've been going for the last 3 1/2 years, but hopefully at a MUCH faster rate.:woohoo:
Thanks for everyones' kind words.
One more thing, Thanks for that link to rebelgears, kawtoy. I'll definitely be contacting them.
Jim

More
11 Dec 2007 21:02 #184666 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic A change of direction
Glad to hear you're not giving up! If it was easy everybody would do it...and cool ain't easy.

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

More
12 Dec 2007 02:59 #184684 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic A change of direction
never give up, never surrender.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!