Metric Cruiser Recommendations

More
07 Dec 2007 16:01 #184142 by TLH101
Metric Cruiser Recommendations was created by TLH101
I think I am going step up to Metric Cruiser this coming spring. It is amazing all the different bikes available. I am thinking some thing in the 800-900cc range, but not locked on that. So far, I really like the look of the Vulcan Drifter 800, & Classic, or the V-Star & Road Star Classic. What others might I consider?
Looking for recomendations, do's, don'ts etc. What do like or ride, and what should I avoid? I will be buying buying used, so would like to know if there are some specific models I should stay away from.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2007 17:13 #184151 by z1rick
Replied by z1rick on topic Metric Cruiser Recommendations
I would Recommend getting at least a 1200, the extra power would be helpful on the highway, and the extra weight would make it a bit more comfy on longer rides.

I like the Vulcan's, I am thinking of getting a 1500 for my self and the wifey to ride.

I know that the Yamaha V-Stars are very reliable, I know lots of guys that have them and rarely have any problems. And, there are lots of after market goodies for them, like larger saddle bags, and all the chrome you could want. Oh yeah, and cup holders for the handle bars, got to have those.

Anaheim CA
1999 KZ 100P
1974 Z1 900 Project
1977 (2) KZ 650 projects

More
07 Dec 2007 21:37 #184180 by duncan
Replied by duncan on topic Metric Cruiser Recommendations
this 2003 article rates the various cruisers in 6 different price ranges:

www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/cost...torcycles/index.html

i've never riden a cruiser, but the Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado looks nice and gets good reviews except for maybe the handling ('silly putty chassis')

my biggest hesitation with a cruiser is the feet forward ergonomics. just seems weird.

More
08 Dec 2007 08:10 #184209 by tjhiggin
Replied by tjhiggin on topic Metric Cruiser Recommendations
My brother has a Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 that he loves. Reliable as hell. I don't care for it myself, I think it handles like a pig. One of my friends has a Victory Vegas. Not metric, but a super-nice bike, and faster than stink. Another friend has a Suzuki Boulevard 1800, man that is a sweet bike. I'm not a fan of cruisers but I'd sure look at a Suzuki if I were in the market. There are tons and tons of cruisers on craigslist, so be patient and the right bike will find you. Whatever you get, try to find one with a 6-speed overdrive transmission. That extra gear makes all the difference on long cruises. I sure wish my 1100 had another gear. Good luck!

T.J. in Huntsville, Alabama
1983 KZ1100-A3, 1974 Honda CB550-4
Previous bikes: CB100, TS125, CB175, KZ400, CB500-4